585,930 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Need help with finding z axis limit on centroid controller

Need help with finding z axis limit on centroid controller

Like the title says, I keep getting a error on my machine. It keeps saying 907 X Axis travel exceeded. So I'm guessing I'm trying to go to far and it keeps tripping the switch. Where can I find where the X axis limit is set? This is on a M39 centroid controller. Oh and if anyone knows, I have another problem, I have to keep reseting my home on my machine. Thanks for everyones input.

Re: Need help with finding z axis limit on centroid controller

x axis travel exceeded is a soft travel limit message. verify the travel amounts that the software travel limits are set to.
    fyi.. if you home at a different place than usual.. that can cause this message.
    its the control telling you that you have exceeded the distance that the software travel limit has been set to.

Do you know how to set home permanently? And where to find the software travel limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod624 View Post
    Do you know how to set home permanently? And where to find the software travel limit?

There is no such thing as "set home permanently" as the control/motors use incremental encoders which means that every time the machine is powered up, "home" will be set at whatever position the 3 axes happen to be sitting at unless you use limit switch homing or jog to home position. "Home switch" is the recommended method of homing.

From the main screen, if you press F1-Setup->F3-Config(pw = 137), F1-Control, you can set the "Machine home at power up" option by using the arrow keys to highlight the setting and then using the space bar to toggle the options.

Travel limits are meaningless unless you choose "Home Switch" or reference mark -HS"
    To access the travel limit screen from the main screen: F1-Setup->F3-Config(pw = 137), F2-Mach_.F1-Jog

For a much faster and more specific response, please email [email protected] with a current copy of your machines "report.zip", control serial number in the subject and a brief description of your issue or question.
    You can create a report from the main screen by pressing F7-Utilities->F7-Report

So if the software travel limits are meaningless, why does it keep tripping? I'm not really educated on cnc's. I'm figuring this out as I go along, so sorry if I miss a beat.

what scott meant.. is that travel limit amounts are meaningless if the control is set to NOT use them. there are several ways to set up homing.
    1.) home right where the machine is at when you press the cycle start (set to "JOG" for this choice) not the best way to do things.. since this method requires resetting the WCS (part zero) each time the machine is powered on and off, use method #2 or #3 so that the machine "remembers" the part zero position saving time and parts, this choice also makes the software travel limits not exact..since you are not homing out at the exact same place each time.
    2.) home to a reference mark then search for the marker pulse on the encoder and set home there (set to "Ref Mardk- HS" for this choice, my favorite)
    3.) home to a switch and then search for marker pulse on the encoder and set home there (set to "Home Switch") requires working limit or home switches.
    you can read about these settings and travel limits in the operator manual found here. CENTROID CNC control Document Download