585,967 active members*
4,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

PRO CNC 2016 Revision

Hi all! We're at MakerFaire in San Mateo this weekend, and are launching a brand new revision of the CNC Router Parts PRO Line of large format CNC machines.

We first launched the PRO CNC line in 2013 (also at Maker Faire!), and these have been great machines, serving hundreds of customers over the past three years, but we're always looking to improve. In that light, the newest kits will feature the following changes.

1) Profile linear rails.
    We invented the V-Con rail system to help make rugged, high quality linear motion affordable, and it has served well in this capacity. However, we’ve finally been able to source profile linear rails at a price that makes sense for our machine kits. While they are still more expensive, the simplicity and ease of assembly they offer justifies the modest increase in price to the kits. We will still offer individual V-Con components, but our PRO kits will be based on the new rail system.

2) New base fasteners.
    We’ve changed the extrusion base design of our machines to use anchor counterbore fasteners, the stiffest connection method available that still maintains flexible positioning for machine cross-members. This connection method streamlines assembly and makes it easier to square the base of the machine during assembly.

3) Updated Z axis.
    Our ballscrew Z axis has also been re-designed to use profile linear rails, and has additionally received a speed upgrade with 10mm pitch ballscrews (previously 5mm pitch screws). The axis has also been re-configured with fixed rails and a moving drop plate for routers or spindles, allowing for more usable travel, and providing a complete 8" clearance under the gantry, even with a 3” long tool installed.

4) Cable track is now included, standard.
    We have traditionally offered a cable track (e-chain) as an optional kit for our machines, as we have had customers who want to build or engineer their own cable management solutions. While we will still offer this to the few customers who want to go this route, we have found over the past three years that the majority of our customers want a cable track solution included with their mechanical kit.

Details on the new machine kits can be seen here:

PRO CNC Machine Kits | CNCRouterParts

As always, whenever we revise our machine kits, we strive to make the new revision backwards compatible for current customers who wish to upgrade their systems, and this new revision is no exception. We will be offering multiple options for those interested. The new revision requires no changes to the overall frame of the PRO series, as the series and lengths of the aluminum extrusion members have not changed.

New kits will officially be available for sale on June 1, 2016, and upgrade kits for previous versions of our PRO CNC machine will follow and become available 2-3 weeks after this.

Check in with us soon to see footage of the new machines in action at Maker Faire 2016!

Ahren
    www,cncrouterparts.com

Re: PRO CNC 2016 Revision

Boy my timing sucked

Quote Originally Posted by bonesbr549 View Post
    Boy my timing sucked
    Yeah. You aren't kidding. I just went all in on a kit not long ago myself.

Very interested in seeing the price of this upgrade kit. I was in the process of adding more vcon clamps (due to slight sagging in my long axis) and the steel base into a shopping cart on the website when I saw this.

Hopefully these kits won't be too crazy priced. Then what do do with the carriages/v-con clamps/and rails. Not to mention the $600 z axis. Hopefully they'll have an option to make that puppy somehow integrate to the new system.

Yep just ordered mine and haven't even finished putting it together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will expect some sweet deal on an upgrade of some kind!

[QUOTE=DaveCNCnewb;1886126]Yep just ordered mine and haven't even finished putting it together.

Exactly. I can't even fathom how they're going to make this a cost effective endeavor for us the consumer. Pretty much the only thing that remains the same are the extrusions. And even that is different now. Ie. No more angle brackets. Direct connections from extrusion to extrusion.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

I will expect some sweet deal on an upgrade of some kind!
    Hey man. Sorry. My phone died. I didn't hang up.

[QUOTE=ericclinedinst;1886172]
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCNCnewb View Post
    Yep just ordered mine and haven't even finished putting it together.

Exactly. I can't even fathom how they're going to make this a cost effective endeavor for us the consumer. Pretty much the only thing that remains the same are the extrusions. And even that is different now. Ie. No more angle brackets. Direct connections from extrusion to extrusion.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey man. Sorry. My phone died. I didn't hang up.
    I figured no problem

Boy my timing sucked
    Yeah, me too
    Finished building it in January and still haven't broke it in. Saved up extra coin for the Pro instead of Standard for months too..

Ahren, I'll be interested in upgrade kits esp for the gantry as I'd love to have extra clearance/height of 12".

But how will these these new linear motion rails hold up to dust? The nice thing about the v-con is that they tend to shed any dust that might collect on them, but these
    look like they have nice big horizontal ledges for build up?

This is fantastic news. Are there any plans for closed loop motors and an atc spindle option?

Definitely looks like an improvement! My v-rail system is turning and burning though, no need to change it out now.

My NEXT machine though...

Closed loop motors would be nice, I have realized that I actually could use more motor than the nema 23s. Didn't think I would when I bought the machine, and have been really eyeing those leadshine easy servo kits. I priced it out and it would only be a few hundred more than the crp diy nema 34 kit and i assume the leadshine motors are high quality.

I have also been seriously thinking of upgrading my little 2x2 standard machine to a 4x4 since that is the size sheet I cut all the time and a couple of the things I cut don't break up into 2x2 very well. Wonder if it would be possible to upgrade to this new pro style liner motion at the same time.

This machine looks like a real game changer for affordable cnc Kits.

I want one!!!

Well, count me in for one of those disappointed with my timing. Damn.....

Looks like a great new system, just wish I would have waited 6 months longer.

-Scott

I am not complaining. I think it is a very cool development. That said, the V con rail system will likely fair better in a plasma cutting format than the linear rails and trucks. I consider Vcon rails and the older style skate bearings to be like off road tires. The newer system more like highway only tires. The newer system will not fair as well in a dirty environment.
    Lee

What kind of linear profile used on new design?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I am not complaining. I think it is a very cool development. That said, the V con rail system will likely fair better in a plasma cutting format than the linear rails and trucks. I consider Vcon rails and the older style skate bearings to be like off road tires. The newer system more like highway only tires. The newer system will not fair as well in a dirty environment.
    My thoughts exactly.

Perhaps our gen 1 pro machines will become like a '68 Camaro, highly collectable from the golden age of machines.....! :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I totally agree thats its a cool development. I'm excited about what they've done, I just wish I had THAT system and not the one I have.

-Scott

Some close-up photos of the new design would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcedar View Post
    Some close-up photos of the new design would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    and videos!

Page 1 of 2 12