Hi everyone,

I've got a Journeyman 310 that I am working on. Everything seems to be okay except for some terrible backlash on the Z (vertical) Axis. Terrible like 1/4". There is a side panel that can be removed to see the Z-Axis leadscrew (or is it a ball screw?) and when jogging up and down, the screw itself lifts up and down a little while turning (the spindle not moving vertically), then as I continue to jog, the up/down motion of the screw stops and the spindle begins to move vertically as expected.

My theory is that the Z-Axis screw is not being retained properly. I see from looking at videos and manuals for the Journeyman 325 (couldn't find one for the 310) that these screws are supported at the top by a pair of bearings. I am guessing that's the case here, and that the bearings aren't tight, or one is worn, or even missing.

Does this sound like correct reasoning?

I don't have the manual for the machine, and I don't want to take too much apart without knowing what I am doing. In particular because it looks like I'm going to have to move/remove the spindle motor/transmission assembly to get access to what I need access to.

I see that a few people here have the 310. Could someone give me some basic instructions for how to access this part of the machine? Maybe part numbers for the bearings and where to get them (compatible parts are fine if they work). I'd also love to get a picture of that part of the diagram from the manual. If someone really wants to be my hero, a video of how to disassemble and replace/adjust those bearings would be amazing!

Thank you so much for any help or feedback (including if I have made any forum faux pas, as I am new here)