584,817 active members*
4,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Aftershock ... rc glider
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Aftershock ... rc glider

Well I prepped up the tail plug with dam's around it. Mixed up epoxy and aluminum powder for a gel coat. Loaded it up. Once that get's a little hard, will add glass and such as backing to strengthen it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f0cdddd3-8a9c-4d8f-a133-87d59ff56361.jpg   634fea0a-a69e-445c-9f9e-fd888ac2005e.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

I can't wait to see the end result. This is the main reason I started building my CNC. But it's smaller then your's so I can't build the wing that length. Keep up good work arbo.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is the reason I built my CNC, and after all these years, I am finally using it for that. lol. But you can do two piece wings, so no problem.
    Wood neophyte.

Popped it open just a bit ago. This is it just opened. Loads of clay to clean up and edges to sand down. Overall not bad for a first go at it.

For the next one, which will be the other side of the mold, think I am gonna try to pour paraffin wax in the trough instead of clay, less cleanup I think. Also do a little better with the clay around the edges of the damn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58449cd7-d609-48d6-a1ce-53c5d3c3b4d0.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

Bottom wing mold cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b6c601f2-25d2-4563-b0af-82cfec7f2fa7.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

After being away from this for a bit due to vacation and then work... am back at it. Decided to cut molds for tail surfaces out of corian, as there was no point doing plugs then molds.. let's just skip a step.

Have horizontal parts done, polished, waxed, painted.. when that cures will lay up the halves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 273e54f0-8491-4cb8-a241-c8fcf327ebe2.jpg   184e2908-b50a-4786-aeaf-a58b2db7d266.jpg  
    Wood neophyte.

Woo-hoo I was waiting.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Looking good.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

First I had to cut out a template for the horizontal shape, for material. I should actually make another that has holes where the dimples are so I don't have to do that by hand, or can at least mark them to cut. Also one for the balsa used because it does't go the full width of the part.

Then I cut out light glass for the layer against the paint, so hopefully there is no print through. Then glass, carbon, balsa, and last layer of glass. Some kevlar for the hinge line.

Wet it all out, placed in the mold's, working out bubbles and getting it lined up as best I could. Then two layers of peel ply (because the first test I could not get it off the part without popping the part out of the mold), and I don't have any perferated plastic.. need to order some. So hopefully this one will peel off better. Covered with paper towels, then into the bag.
    Wood neophyte.

Well, pulled from the bag, you can see it with one layer of peel and paper towels pulled off. The second layer of peel came off ok, without popping the part out of the mold, but gonna get some perf plastic to use as well.

The fluorescent paint used didn't work well, that's crossed off the list of possibilities. I think that was rustolium, will try krylon as well. The other sprays used work fine.

Out of the mold and trimmed up a bit. This one will just be used to mount on the fuse mold with some thickened epoxy to get the saddle for it to the perfect shape.
    Wood neophyte.

Twanna Guest
    So I dug the files out, and picked up some wing plugs we made for this
. Now I am getting busy.

Page 2 of 2 12