584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > CNC milling a sharp point in Cambam

CNC milling a sharp point in Cambam

Hi I am a newbie to CNC Zone, however I have also tried to become a member of the Cambam forum but I cannot get any replies back from them to sign me up!! Not sure why?

Is there anybody out there that knows how to CNC mill a basic angled point using Cambam on a 3mm dia piece of steel. If I were to machine this part on a lathe it would be a piece of cake. However I have to grow the item out of a solid flat plate to create the pin with a sharp 60 degree angle on top. It has to be in Cambam though. Any ideas please??

Re: CNC milling a sharp point in Cambam

You mean, making a vertical spike in a flat piece of stock? Here is one way to do it in CamBam:
    - Draw a small diameter circle (0.1mm or so).
    - Create an outside profile MOP.
    - In the MOP properties, set Side Profile Method to "Slope" and Side Profile Value to "30".
    Of course, you need to set Stock Surface, Target Depth and Depth Increment as well. The smaller the Depth Increment, the smoother your spike would be.

Thank you Citizen I have done this and it works fine. The .1mm diameter is fine also as this still makes it a sharp point. I tried doing this in 3D but had some unsatisfactory results as I think 3D in Cambam loved curves but hates verticals!!

You are welcome, glad it worked for you. CamBam is a great 2.5D program, but 3D is still a work in progress.