584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > CMOS Battery Failure Hurco VM1

CMOS Battery Failure Hurco VM1

Message on screen says CMOS Battery Failure, and won't boot past it.
    Before I call Hurco...
    I've searched the internet and this Forum but can't find anything specific like where the battery is or if there is one or what to do.

Is there an actual Battery like a 2032 Coin battery that needs to be replaced?
    I can't find a Battery anywhere on any of the computer boards except something that looks like one on the left side of the computer cabinet but it's not.
    Or is this more involved like replacing something on one of the computer boards, Mother Board etc?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Re: CMOS Battery Failure Hurco VM1

It's on the board at the top. Pull it out and look for a small black block near the left end by the edge connector.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    It's on the board at the top. Pull it out and look for a small black block near the left end by the edge connector.
    Is this it ?
    It was held in with a plastic tie wrap and just unplugs with lots of legs on each side.
    Couldn't find any info on it though by using the numbers.
    Update, Many Thanks for the info :cheers:
    I found an old post replied to you and found this DS12887

Ok one more thing, anyone know where to get this part in the USA ?
    Waiting to hear back from Hurco but the cross reference part # is DS12887 or DS12887A
    All the places I can get one are shipping from China and delivery is 4 weeks

Ebay? There are loads of UK sellers with them so I'd assume there would be a bunch of US ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Ebay? There are loads of UK sellers with them so I'd assume there would be a bunch of US ones.
    Thanks again, :cheers: I refined my EBay search and found a place in NJ ...

Seller is.. plccenter

Excellent!

Hello

When you change this part, is it now works? I mean, has it a normal BIOS installed in the chip or must be programming for BIOS?

I need to know that too. Do you need to change settings or programming?

Hi! I have the same problem, I've changed the CMOS battery (RTC) by the component M48T86PC1, the battery alarm disappear, but the "CMOS checksum error", not. I've tried to change the BIOS settings but when I reset the PC the Bios setting didn't change.
    Any idea to know how change the BIOS settings?
    Please help me.

Quote Originally Posted by antoniomasat View Post
    Hi! I have the same problem, I've changed the CMOS battery (RTC) by the component M48T86PC1, the battery alarm disappear, but the "CMOS checksum error", not. I've tried to change the BIOS settings but when I reset the PC the Bios setting didn't change.
    Please help me.
    Hey I'm having the same "CMOS checksum error" after changing out the M48T86PC1. I'm also not able to change the bios settings. Were you able to figure anything out? Thanks, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by antoniomasat View Post
    Please help me.
    Sorry for not seeing this thread from back in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by eaglegage View Post
    Hey I'm having the same "CMOS checksum error" after changing out the M48T86PC1. I'm also not able to change the bios settings. Were you able to figure anything out? Thanks, Doug
    Well, here's the odd thing, I installed the CMOS chip and had to hook up a Key board to the Machine but never needed to change the BIOS

Initially, I called Hurco Tech support and talked with Steve Artz.

Hurco Tech. Support
    317-298-2635 Office Phone
    317-298-2621 Office Fax

[email protected]

He told me what to do with the key board with a round Cylinder connection on the end of the wire coming off the keyboard.
    And he also said to reset the Bios, BUT, I didn't need to do that for some reason after all was said and done.

Here's what I did:
    I first tried it with an Adapter on a keyboard with a USB connector wire but that did not work... no communication to machine.
    So I had to find/use an older keyboard with a OEM round Cylinder connection on the end of the wire coming off the keyboard.

Plugged in the keyboard and entered standard CMOS setup and Set Time and Date.
    Then went to change all the Primary Master etc etc . Type and Modes per Steve's instructions.

The Type and Mode for all of them were set to AUTO and I could select/highlight them, but could not change them.

Also could not select the heads, Cylinders or sectors etc ..

So figured I'd at least save the Time and Date and exit.
    Machine then booted up fine.

I then Calibrated XYZ and tool changer, ran a machine warm up and random tool changes, and then shut the machine down.

Started it back up and it seemed to take longer than usual to boot, but since then everything has been good.

I suggest to either call or email Steve if you guys have any problems getting it working again.
    Good Luck.

Currently i have a hurco hawk 5ssm that has a cmos check sum error.
    Reaching out for any help i can get to get this rest.
    On the main screen its asking for F1 to be pressed which on the monitor doesn't do anything.
    I have a Ps2 keyboard but no adaptor yet for the db9 serial port on the electrical cabinet
    The computer boots with 2 beeps does anyone have experience with this that could help