584,805 active members*
5,131 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Cheap Water Chillers!!!

I believe that the CW-5000 and CW-5200 are compressor based chillers with the difference between the two being a more powerful compressor and more refrigerant used in the CW-5200.

Do you have a part number for the CPC connectors for the ThermoTek T252P? Think I might get one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by abyss View Post
    Can you send me a link to particular auction, please? From any reason I have NO cheaper offers than ~$380+998delivery.

(See https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZJcWpUSnZPa3F3 - this is what I have, sorted by lowest Price+P&P)
    Search for the seller lisa_ctrsurplus and have a look through their listings. I see 5 of the units still available for $74.95 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    I believe that the CW-5000 and CW-5200 are compressor based chillers with the difference between the two being a more powerful compressor and more refrigerant used in the CW-5200.

Do you have a part number for the CPC connectors for the ThermoTek T252P? Think I might get one of these.
    The cheapest i have been able to find are from this website...

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/se...rds=PLCD22004+

The PLCD version is the valved fitting, the PLC version is the non-valved fitting. You need the PLCD version because the chiller has the PLCD version, if you try plugging in a PLC version it doesn't have the right tip on it to open the valve on the female fittings on the chiller.

I went with the PLCD22004 which is a valved fitting with a 1/4" hose barb as all my cooling lines to my laser are 1/4". There is versions of the PLCD fitting with larger barbs, there is also a version with 1/4 NPT female or male threads as well for adapting to other fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    Search for the seller lisa_ctrsurplus and have a look through their listings. I see 5 of the units still available for $74.95 plus shipping.
    Seller is not visible in Ireland where I am. U suppose it is local (USA?) sale only. Probably this is the reason.
    Anyway, thanks for trying help

- - - Updated - - -

Seller is not visible in Ireland where I am. U suppose it is local (USA?) sale only. Probably this is the reason.
    Polish @ Éire

Quote Originally Posted by abyss View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it looks like the seller is set to sell and ship to USA only.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mine arrived, no viable damage. I turn it on and it says "check fluid". That's a good sign. So I ordered the fittings from the above link.

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    Mine arrived, no viable damage. I turn it on and it says "check fluid". That's a good sign. So I ordered the fittings from the above link.
    If you want to do more checks before your fittings arrive you can, i did on mine. Fill the reservoir with antifreeze in a 50/50 mix if you have any, otherwise just fill it with water, then turn on the power switch and hit the set temp until it shows temp set and set it to like 20 degrees, then press the set temp until it comes back around and shows Manifold Temp. It will kick in and start cooling without the hoses hooked up, i think there is an internal bypass when the hoses aren't hooked up cause i can see agitation in the reservoir without the hoses hooked up, also the fans behind the filter on the right side should run, probably want to remove the filter and wash that and also if you have an air compressor blow out the fans and the grills on both sides, etc. Mine had a fair amount of dust buildup because the filter wasn't popped in all the way on one edge. The fan in the back is the air dryer assembly, mine never runs that fan. I found on mine if i put airflow through the dryer's input you can hear an internal diaphragm type switch flip with the airflow then it would go to dry mode and say DRYER FAIL on the display. But a power cycle cleared that and it went back to water chilling no problem.

I put some 50/50 antifreeze in the reservoir and turned it in. I get a version message and then a Dryer fail message. Can't get it out of that error. I guess I need to open it up now.

I put some 50/50 antifreeze in the reservoir and turned it in. I get a version message and then a Dryer fail message. Can't get it out of that error. I guess I need to open it up now.
    I can produce that message if i put air through the inlet of the air fittings, maybe the switch is stuck? I used a rubber tipped air nozzle on my air compressor and pushed that tight to the inlet fitting and gave it a few blasts and a bunch of dust and junk came out. Also check the rear fan, give that a few blasts of air and see if it spins. Its got to be something simple. They make this model without the air dryer option as well, just has two rubber plugs in place of the air line fittings. So i went in mine and disconnected the wiring to the rear fan and the other wiring that was associated with the air dryer, looks like a goldish color anodized aluminum block just in front of that rear fan. From what i can tell its using the heat sink and fan on the back as a very basic dehumidifier option, not sure if there is a Peltier in that unit but i assume so otherwise how are they getting the temperature differential to condense the humid air passing through.

It comes apart pretty easy, just take all the small screws out around the middle where the blue and white halves of the case meet, then pull the blue section back and can turn it to open it up. You just have to be careful of the tubing that goes from the pump to the front half and the tubing from the water outlet to the front half, all the wires have plenty of length to open it up.

Cheap Water Chillers!!!

I used a air compressor to clean it out but the dryer fail message remained. Took it apart and unplugged the power connection to the dehumidifier board. Error goes away and looks like it is working.

Is the manifold temp the internal water temp? Up/down buttons don't change that value. I can set output temp with up/down buttons but can't really tell if working properly.

Edit

I can set the output temp to a low number, 13C. The manifold temp will track lower and stabilize around 13C after a few minutes. I can here the internal relay click on/off when it hits the set temp region. Looks like it is working. Just have to wait for the couplers.

I used a air compressor to clean it out but the dryer fail message remained. Took it apart and unplugged the power connection to the dehumidifier board. Error goes away and looks like it is working.

Is the manifold temp the internal water temp? Up/down buttons don't change that value. I can set output temp with up/down buttons but can't really tell if working properly.

Edit

I can set the output temp to a low number, 13C. The manifold temp will track lower and stabilize around 13C after a few minutes. I can here the internal relay click on/off when it hits the set temp region. Looks like it is working. Just have to wait for the couplers.
    Same thing i ended up doing, just unplug the dehumidifier section then it doesn't even know it exists! Yes the manifold temp is the current output water temp, it has a sensor for the water after the heat exchanger right before the output port. Sounds like its working just fine, set it even lower and stick a thermometer in the top through the tank fill, i used my multimeter temp probe to watch it drop below freezing in the tank! Quite impressive.

The other setting you can change is the Gradient, thats basically how fast it will shoot for the set temp and how agressive it will try to maintain it. The 60C setting is the quickest, basically it means it change up to 60C in a set time, they really don't specify the time but its really quick cooling down at that setting. If you set it lower, say the lowest it goes is 5C on the Gradient setting, it will take a LONG time to slowly cool down to the set temp.

Freshwater systems tells me the connectors are back ordered till mid July. Anyone considering, should look elsewhere.

Freshwater systems tells me the connectors are back ordered till mid July. Anyone considering, should look elsewhere.
    Darn.. guess I got lucky. They are available on eBay and Amazon as well, also McMaster Carr has them as well. Just search for PLCD connectors.

Darn.. guess I got lucky. They are available on eBay and Amazon as well, also McMaster Carr has them as well. Just search for PLCD connectors.

I sent them a email to cancel. I'll wait for confirmation before reordering someplace else.

Did you get your connectors ordered?

I grabbed another one of these chillers from CTR Surplus, offered $40 they wouldn't go below $50 but even at that price its a deal. I bought one that powers up but goes into WatchDog Alarm, i think its either the temp sensor or the pump, it may or may not be an easy repair, but for the price even if i can't get it fully working its spare parts for my other unit at that price considering the cost of some of the bits inside. I looked at the pump thats in it and found you can still by that exact same mag pump but its $80, and then there is the 10 TEC's at around $10 each from reliable sources. Just couldn't pass up getting another cheap parts unit that i might be able to restore to full operation anyway.

There is another seller on eBay now that has the controller boards for sale, so it looks like parts availability isn't too bad, just can't get any service or repair info from the manufacturer.

I haven't reordered yet. Freshwater hasn't credited my paypal account. I sent them another email.

I haven't reordered yet. Freshwater hasn't credited my paypal account. I sent them another email.
    Ok, I have been looking for another source since I will have another one coming to repair. Need to make a loop line for testing. I think I might use the second one if I can get it working to water cool my CNC router spindle.

I was also playing with the dehumidifier section some more tonight... There is an air pump buried down near the bottom of the back half, i reconfigured the air lines so it comes in to the pump and then out of the pump to the fitting so it bypasses the dehumidifier section which doesn't work. Interestingly enough if you disconnect the air pump wires from that rear control board you can apply 12v to it and the pump runs. It moves a good amount of air to, i wonder if it would be sufficient to use as the source for the air assist on the laser. I have a noisy little aquarium type air pump for that, this pump is a lot quieter, it moves a good amount of air and i would say its just as much if not slightly more then my other pump. I might have to play around with that. I could easily get 12v from the internal supply or just wire in a small 12v input to just power the pump. Its worth exploring further when i get the time, i will probably experiment more with the broken unit that i have coming so i don't have to take this one off the laser to play with.

Would be nice to have an all in one unit that provides the air assist and the chilled water.

I found some on eBay that are just the ticket, made for 1/4" tubing with a barbed fitting and have the correct shut off style 1/4" fitting size.

2 New Colder Product CPC 1 4" Barbed Chrome Plated Brass Inline Valved Insert | eBay

I ordered a pair of them. They are metal and not plastic, but according to Colder Products website the Acetal and Metal are interchangeable.

Great thanks I ordered from the eBay link you posted.

Page 2 of 3 123