Login

Thread: Edge Finder

Edge Finder

Looking for a Edge Finder whats your recommendations Thanks Dave P

Re: Edge Finder

Haimer 3d taster. Great tool

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I use a $5 edge finder.. Works well, but I don't have a haimer, I think that's the one to get if you want to spend the money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Haimer...is the hands down favorite here. It makes set ups a breeze and stays dialed in for a long time as long as you don't snap the tip off. I have bought several for my pair here over the last couple of years and can attest to the fact that they bounce back from crashes quite well! Initial cost is a lot to swallow, but the refinement, speed and repeatabillity gained have made it well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Haimer...is the hands down favorite here. It makes set ups a breeze and stays dialed in for a long time as long as you don't snap the tip off. I have bought several for my pair here over the last couple of years and can attest to the fact that they bounce back from crashes quite well! Initial cost is a lot to swallow, but the refinement, speed and repeatabillity gained have made it well worth it.
    I'm not gonna lie ,I want one.

I used to use a $10 wiggler type, but now I use the $30 electronic fowler, it works very well:

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

Memorial day sale at eco: 25% off and free shipping makes this very cheap (codes DS531 and FF531).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I think Haimer is the way to go if you have the money, but if you want to go more traditional, Fisher makes a nice little conventional edge finder in the US:

MICRO EDGE FINDER | Brownells

Hermann Schmidt used to makes a really nice edge finder but no longer sells them I think.

I have used a mechanical edge finder for more than forty years. I am able to repeat edge locations to .0002" or better.

I use a Starrett 827A edge finder with good results. The trick for me with mechanical edge finders is to sight along the axis that is being measured to see maximum kick out.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySmith View Post
    I have used a mechanical edge finder for more than forty years. I am able to repeat edge locations to .0002" or better.
    Me too. And having the skill to do so is satisfying. But once you have a Haimer Taster 3D, your edge finder will grow moss. Hands down, if you can afford a Haimer, buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Me too. And having the skill to do so is satisfying. But once you have a Haimer Taster 3D, your edge finder will grow moss. Hands down, if you can afford a Haimer, buy one.
    And buy about 5 spare probe tips for the Haimer at the same time. After about the 3rd broken tip you start to learn how to be careful with them and the breakage rate drops off significantly. I'm a slow learner so needed about 7 tips.

The bad news is that 7 probe tips cost less than the Haimer!
    The good news is that with a Haimer you can set x/y/z with a single tool.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The bad news is that 7 probe tips cost less than the Haimer!
    The real bad news is that each tip costs about the 4x the cost of a "wiggler" edge finder, which will last you for 10 years (or 1.3x the cost of the electronic edge finder I showed above, which should also last at least 10 years).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I use a mitutoyo and starett edge finder with good results. I'm planning on getting the Haimer eventually after I get a power draw bar.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    And buy about 5 spare probe tips for the Haimer at the same time. After about the 3rd broken tip you start to learn how to be careful with them and the breakage rate drops off significantly. I'm a slow learner so needed about 7 tips.
    After odd results, I found the fault to be a non-concentric probe tip on my Haimer. Apparently I failed to set/adjust the tip concentrically after the tip was replaced and a 0.020" error was introduced; wow.
    After that, I spent some time with my Haimer and the manual, which by the way is a very poorly written manual for such an expensive instrument. I have great respect $$ for this instrument and recommend it.
    Lesson learned; perform concentric check after tip replacement.

A question for all you Haimer users: What is the typical accuracy/repeatability you experience with the Haimer?

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySmith View Post
    A question for all you Haimer users: What is the typical accuracy/repeatability you experience with the Haimer?
    I calibrate probe cocentricity with a .0001" indicator and the Haimer is as repeatable to within the tolerances I can produce. The bigger issue is work holding,vice tram etc. when rotating a part 4-5 times. One of the speed benefits of the Haimer is not just edge finding, but dragging the probe across a top surface or vise jaw face to detrmine part flatness/perpendiculaity on a part before subsequent machining operations. Tramming a vise,center hole locating,flatness indicator etc., it's just a great all around tool. I do so many one-off setups, it really speeds things up. The huge face and analog guage makes indicating fast,and easy while standing far away from the part. Yes, the probe tips are $50.00, but I've over travelled other indicators and they end up in the trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by david parkhurst View Post
    Looking for a Edge Finder whats your recommendations Thanks Dave P
    thanks everyone Haimer...it is