585,712 active members*
3,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati Arrow 1000 Disk Drive Problem

Cincinnati Arrow 1000 Disk Drive Problem

Hello; Thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has run across this:
    We were getting blue screens and Real Time errors so I thought I'd try a new Hard Drive. Bought one and was trying to backup the machine and tool data before putting the new HD in. The floppy was disabled when we bought the machine and have always used the RS232 for file transfer. All of the Machine and Tool Data backups reside on the existing HD (still installed). Got the floppy enabled with the options code but I get a "Realtime Timeout system fail" error when I try and use the floppy.
    The WS Bios had the floppy enabled. I tried to access it from Windows but just get "drive not ready" message. Swapped with the known good floppy drive from my 1250 machine. Same result. So this may be a problem from the previous owner.
    Could it be there is a problem on the WS Board or the Bridge Board or the RT board keeping the floppy from working? I just had the RT Bios re-flashed from dead battery but as I said the floppy never has worked.
    Is there a way to use the RS232 (Com 1 port) or some other way to backup the machine data? I can "send" the tool and machine data out the Com port but only to a DNC program and I don't think it would "receive" this back correctly but I'm afraid to try.
    Should I copy the existing HD? (I'm aware of the NT issues with copying the HD).
    Thanks for any help.

Re: Cincinnati Arrow 1000 Disk Drive Problem

Check the power on the drive, I think it is 5VDC to the board on top of the drive. The input from the drive goes into the WORK STATION board but the power comes from the BRIDGE BOARD if I recall. Does the light on the drive work when you try to access it??

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

No light that I have seen. I'll try the top 2 red wires to see it there is 5 V. Thanks

No 5V. No light.

pmcg,
    You are trying to address several issues at once. Your best solution would be to call the Cincinnati-Fives Technical Support at 1-859-534-4750. It is a free call and we are the original OEM (formerly Cincinnati Milacron, Cincinnati MAG; now Fives-MSI Cincinnati) We are located in Hebron, KY hours 8am-5pm EST Lunch noon-1pm.

With power off and locked out;you may want to pull out the WSCPU (left side) and WITHOUT removing the battery check the voltage. Should be between 2.7VDC and 3.17VDC. Battery can only be changed on a bench-top with the board under power. Same goes for the RTCPU on the far right side. The WSCPU settings can be put back-in using a PC keyboard and we can email these to you if you contact us. the RTCPU must be sent back and we can reload it on a bench using a floppy drive and other equipment for a nominal charge. If the RTCPU BIOS Settings are lost; then you will get failures at boot loading modules 2-to-3. The WSCPU handles all the hard drives and peripherals, loading of the software at bootup, all operator functions and reading editing of the cnc part program. RTCPU handles the I/O and Servos.

Going back to the 5VDC issue on the floppy drive. the BBB (basic bridge board) has an led on it that should be Green. It also has 3-regulators for 5VDC-Floppy, 5VDC-Scale encoders, 8VDC-Pendant and KTI board.
    If the WSCPU 16 pin ribbon cable to the BBB is plugged in upside down or there is a bad 5VDC regulator; you will not get the 5VDC to the red Floppy wires on the Floppy Drive board.

Call the Cincinnati-Fives Technical Support at 859-534-4750, we can help.

tengo el disco de tu maquina [email protected]