584,350 active members*
7,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Anyone with experience from DYN4 drives and LinuxCNC?

Cool Anyone with experience from DYN4 drives and LinuxCNC?

Hi guys,

I'm working on converting a BF30 mill to CNC, and I soon have the all mechanical aspects down, but I'm a bit unsure when it comes to the electronics. I've bough a set of DYN4 drives with the compatible 750W motors from DMM (86M-DHT-A6MK1)
    I understand that i need to buy a Mesa 5i25 and 7i77 card (and external 24V drive), is there anything else i need to think of?
    I need one computer for tuning (windows) and one for control (linuxcnc), right?
    I've done lots of projects with arduino earlier, but i'm a bit nervous when it comes to high voltages and frying really expensive electronics B)

I'm looking for general do's and don'ts in order to tie everything together. If you have some experience to share i'd be very happy to hear about it!

Cheers
    Niklas/Norway

Re: Anyone with experience from DYN4 drives and LinuxCNC?

Hi Niklas,

I'm in the building stages using one of DMM's 750w kits with the DYN2 drives. It came with their BOB and I think you need to use it to run their drives so you won't need the 7i25. I'm going to be using Linuxcnc but with the Pathpilot frontend on it. I got that working on a friends Enco mill and it is a very nice front end.
    You only need one computer as you can dual boot the same computer with windows or Linuxcnc. Use windows to tune the drives then boot into Linux to run the CNC software.
    Other than that follow DMM's wiring guide and you should be good. The hard part is tweaking the INI files in Linuxcnc to get it all talking the way you want it along with the bit file for the Mesa card. But nice thing is all the answers are right here on the zone. Someone somewhere will be doing a version of what you are and will have answers or can guide you in the right direction. Keep after it. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing one of your machines run after you build it.

Re: Anyone with experience from DYN4 drives and LinuxCNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2464 View Post
    Hi Niklas,

I'm in the building stages using one of DMM's 750w kits with the DYN2 drives. It came with their BOB and I think you need to use it to run their drives so you won't need the 7i25. I'm going to be using Linuxcnc but with the Pathpilot frontend on it. I got that working on a friends Enco mill and it is a very nice front end.
    You only need one computer as you can dual boot the same computer with windows or Linuxcnc. Use windows to tune the drives then boot into Linux to run the CNC software.
    Other than that follow DMM's wiring guide and you should be good. The hard part is tweaking the INI files in Linuxcnc to get it all talking the way you want it along with the bit file for the Mesa card. But nice thing is all the answers are right here on the zone. Someone somewhere will be doing a version of what you are and will have answers or can guide you in the right direction. Keep after it. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing one of your machines run after you build it.
    Hi Dan,

I'm considering something similar. I've been using Mach3/ESS and would like to try pathpilot in a dual boot setup. Can you give me any info on what you did or point me in the right direction for info? Where did you get pathpilot from, Tormach? Etc. Thanks!
    warmachinellc.com