585,748 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VMX42 New to Me

Hi
    I have taken delivery of a 2005 Hurco VMX42 and have a few problems, I saw the machine running prior to the auction.

Power is not on at this stage, as I am still running cables out and setting up power board etc, plus trying to get jobs out the door at the same time.
    1, Anybody got any advice on levelling the machine, it has been a while since I have had to level a CNC mill, I am close to getting it right but there seems to be a bow in the table in the X axis? I am using a 0.02mm/m machine level. I was thinking of just levelling with the 4 corner screws and then doing the centre screws?
    2. The top air flow regulator has been broken on the top of the tool changer cylinder, the cylinder behind the little door as you look at the tool changer and spindle, is it just a needle valve or it is it flow regulated on the exhaust and free flow on the inlet or visa versa?
    3. The main electrical switch rotary handle is broken and I cannot turn the switch off, is it possible to by a new rotary handle?

The other thing that has been done is the monitor has been by passed with what looks like a Dell computer touch screen Monitor, it works so I will leave well enough alone at this stage, the original screen is still in the consul, a small industrial style keyboard has been added as well. Pervious owner is calling in this week when I get power on to give me a run through on powering up etc.

The control is MAX single screen job.

PO has told me that the spindle is BT40 but not convinced as yet and am trying to find out through the Australian agents what size tools it is supposed to have, along with what speed spindle is.

Apart from that and a bit of elbow grease cleaning it up the machine looks to be in fairly good condition, spent a lot of time cleaning out the coolant tank pumps and suction screens which were all coated with Tectyl rust preventative, there was a 1/4" layer on everything, PO said they used to coat the parts in the machine.
    The machine has spent most of its time cutting poly parts and aluminium, going by the PO and the swarf I have been removing.

Forgot to add no manuals came with the machine and original disc lost some time back, Hurco dealer is chasing replacement manuals.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Best Regards
    Burgs

Re: VMX42 New to Me

Hi
    Machine is now powered up and running, fixed most problems.
    Levelling found best to set it on the two rear screws and the middle front, got it level than jacked the remaining screws from there.
    Replaced the busted flow control valve and tool changer working well.
    Rotary handle on the main switch is still an issue will try the local electric wholesalers.
    The monitor will stay for a while yet and the keyboard appears to have been an optional extra.
    Tool holders are BT40.
    All axis sound smooth and quite, spindle is 10,000 rev/min and also runs well.
    Coolant tank, pumps, lines and nozzles took some cleaning but all working good now, lost a bit of coolant when I turned the flushing pump with all the valves opened, flow was too much for the system and overflowed in the chip conveyor.

Burgs