585,927 active members*
4,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Looking for a small facing tool (fly cutter / face mill / indexable end mill)

Looking for a small facing tool (fly cutter / face mill / indexable end mill)

The parts I make (for folding knives) generally fit in a 2x6" envelope, so they're relatively small. I've been facing them using some 1/2" end mills, but it feels wasteful to only use the tip of the flutes, and it's slow.

So, I'm looking for a small facing tool to suit my needs. I'm using a PCNC 1100, so it would either need to be TTS compliant or converted. Is the Tormach Superfly my best option, or are there cheaper alternatives?

Re: Looking for a small facing tool (fly cutter / face mill / indexable end mill)

I use a Shars 2 1/2" face mill, it was less than 100 dollars and has replaceable carbide inserts.

For my smaller cutters I use a cutter grinder to sharpen the ends and flutes, they are kind of expensive so I wouldnt recommend buying one, I had this from my previous business, sure comes in handy these days.
    mike sr

Re: Looking for a small facing tool (fly cutter / face mill / indexable end mill)

Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    The parts I make (for folding knives) generally fit in a 2x6" envelope, so they're relatively small. I've been facing them using some 1/2" end mills, but it feels wasteful to only use the tip of the flutes, and it's slow.

So, I'm looking for a small facing tool to suit my needs. I'm using a PCNC 1100, so it would either need to be TTS compliant or converted. Is the Tormach Superfly my best option, or are there cheaper alternatives?
    Can you use the 38 mm face mills from Tormach?

Face Mills

Those have the TTS collar built in*. If smaller cutting diameters would work better, try one of their insert end mills would work:

End Mills
    End Mills - Center Cut

The former are available in diameters of 16, 21, or 25 mm but you'll also need TTS arbors.

I've used both the face mill and smaller end mill with aluminum inserts and they do a really nice job with close to a mirror finish. I've yet to try either with inserts for general purpose steel.

[*on edit - the face mill also needs a TTS arbor]

The SuperFly does a good job and is pretty quick in taking a 2" swath. I'm assuming that you are working in Titanium. If so you need to get a coated insert (not the one for aluminum that is sold) and flood coolant is a must. A number of years ago I decided to fly cut titanium for the first time just to take 10 thou off the top of a piece of Grade 5 stock. Let's just put it this way I thought it was the 4th of July in my shop! If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased a dedicated 3/4" shank 2" face mill and DIY'd a TTS holder for it vs. the superfly.

I use the super fly, it's great on everything except titanium. How are you finishing the material, what material, after you face it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hers a video of the SuperFly on grade 5

TMODCUSTOMS CNC TITANIUM: https://youtu.be/iC0-1Em3FMc

I use a 1 inch Shear Hog on my PCNC 1100. AT 3500 RPM AND 40 IPM I get an unbelievable finish on aluminum. The Shear Hog only works on aluminum.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Yeah I had the same "glowing" experience until I learned the correct speeds/feeds and coolant flow necessary. Having a coated insert made a huge difference too.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Yeah I had the same "glowing" experience until I learned the correct speeds/feeds and coolant flow necessary. Having a coated insert made a huge difference too.
    If you still have it do you mind sharing the feeds and speeds that worked for you in titanium?

I use a K tool mm-500. A .5 inch, 3 insert cutter.
    K-Tool, Inc.- Indexable Carbide Mini Mills

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    I'd be interested to hear about your feeds/speeds too. I just picked up a superfly myself.

I run mine aroubd 3000 to 3300rpm, I usually jog it manually so ipm depends on depth for be, I prolly take a lot bigger cut tan most tho, I'd be interested in hearing f/s for it as well, in aluminum and titanium, if that's what your saying, ..

I'd be interested to hear about your feeds/speeds too. I just picked up a superfly myself.
    My titanium fly cutting is done on my PCNC 770 in low gear at 1250 RPM 2.3 IPM at up to a 45 thou DOC. The Superfly is set up for a 1.9" diameter cutting circle. I use TiCN coated carbide inserts in the superfly and copious amounts of flood. I bought a ton of the inserts pretty cheap during an online auction. Will post a picture of the surface finish that I get later. I ALWAYS CLEAN the mill and chip pan before I fly cut, or spindle turn titanium! It will easily burn big holes in your way covers too so be careful! Have a great weekend guys.....:cheers:

That's impressive, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    That's impressive, thanks!

Yes it is OOOPS!!! That should read 2.3
    IPM NOT 3.2. Sorry about that folks!! Proceed with caution YMMV.