585,712 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NEED HELP! Laser not engraving properly

Hi

I have an 80w chinese laser

I am trying to engrave a drawing but its not doing it properly, on vertical lines it goes deep but doing letters its very weak and letters turn out much lighter

I also tried to vector engrave a drawing in cutting mode with low power and it was going well until it had to draw a circle which it did but cut the wood through

I think it might be the laser going but it seems to be cutting more or less the same, both ply or acryllic, 3-4mm only when engraving is different and now I need much more power to engrave used to engrave at 600mmsec 14-15% and now I'm doing 38% as it can be seen on video

This happened between jobs I was engraving a small part 3 or 4 minutes work, and when I repeated the job it barely engraved, do laser tubes go out or start going out this way ?

I enclose link of video, can someone take a look and maybe help https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7pmde6e1b...00300.MTS?dl=0

Not really looking forward to buy another laser straight away which was the recommendation of gweike where I brought the machine

machine is year old and hasn't had much use its been used but not heavily, at all, temp has always been under 25º

Really appreciate some help.

Re: NEED HELP! Laser not engraving properly

A chinese laser tube can fail or work at reduced power before it reaches you already.
    If you need higher power settings than before it is a good indication that your tube is going off.

Yes,

I think so to, I only find it strange that for cutting power is still the same more or less and I don't cut with full power, I always try to use the least power

and is it instant when it happens, I had the idea it would be gradual not ok one minute and the next is bad

I am thinking of buying the EFR zx1250 80w as I have been reading good reviews can someone that has it advise ?

does the laser behave erratically when its on the way out ?

I'd really appreciate some some expert opinion here as I'm just about to order a new tube and lens and would like to make sure if these are really necessary

What I find really strange is that it burns more powerfully when doing circles to the point that goes all the way through the 3mm ply but not when doing contours

Did you check your mirrors and lens for dirt? Before ordering a new tube check for dirt and loose mirrors or lens. Also alignment. I speak from experience.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Thank you very much George

This got me thinking, I don't understand much about lasers, but I found very strange from start that machine one minute was engraving fine with 14% power and next minute it needs 40% I just thought something is not right here
    And on top of it all cutting was normal

So I checked mirrors, they have a small misalignment now since last alignment 2 months ago, but not so much that justified this.

So next I went for the laser tube beam seemed perfect on tests mirror glass seemed ok (don't know the name of that glass in the tube end) but on intuition I sprayed some alcohol into it and cleaned it with compressed air.

And voila !! Machine is perfect again and I am a very happy man !

In fact I don't recall it cutting such thin lines, its just amazing now

I include video of vector engraving with 14% power its better than it was before, in fact I think I'll have to lower the power even more.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wno71h56ei...00301.MTS?dl=0

So hopefully this will help someone save a lot of trouble and money.

Thank you all for the help.