585,676 active members*
6,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

COLUMBO VS PERSKE Motors

Hello all. I am new to these forums and new to CNC's as well. We are a custom vacuum former of all different types of thermoplastics. we have found that we probably need to purchase a 5 axis CNC for trimming and pattern building. We are looking into purchasing one with a dual Columbo motor. Supposedly this is supposed to be much better than Perske's. Does anyone have any experience with Columbo heads and also, do you know if they are still in business?
    Thanks a bunch for any help anyone could provide.

Mod: I couldn't find an appropriate forum for this post. Sorry!!!!

I have a 10 hp Columbo with a toolchanger on my 3axis machine. So far it's preformed flawlessly. I've ran it at 15,000 rpm for upto 10 hours. The only precaution I take is to shut down the machine without a tool in the spindle. Heat generated during use will dissipate overnight. This causes the spindle to contract around the tool holder. Making for a "hard" toolchange at start up. Or I just remove and reinsert the tool by hand at start up if I forget. I don't know if they are still in buisness.I Hope they are when this one goes out. I have no idea if a Columbo is better than a Perske's, but I'm happy.

Great!

Great! Thanks for the info Todd. Since we will be using this for trimming plastic parts in high volume, we want something that will hold up. There is a good chance that we may just go with a robotic arm. Thanks for the info though!