584,879 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Pathpilot corner probe

I was wonder why the default corner probe in pathpilot is the bottom left corner? I prefer to use a part zero that corresponds to my fixed jaw, because of how I've set up my soft jaws. I'm by no means an experienced machinist though. I guess my question is just more a curiosity. Is there an advantage to using the bottom left?

Re: Pathpilot corner probe

I don't really know, but I'm guessing because it matches the axis orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by jcposada View Post
    I don't really know, but I'm guessing because it matches the axis orientation?
    How do you mean?

I'm not sure either, but I suspect he means that as you move away from that corner into the part all the XYZ numbers are positive.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I'm not sure either, but I suspect he means that as you move away from that corner into the part all the XYZ numbers are positive.

Terry
    Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Not sure why they chose the South West corner. They have a Y minus subroutine so its not like they couldnt have easily done the corner that way. I never program my origin on the SW corner either. I changed a few lines in the probing and corner probing routines and rotated the corner image in the probe screen. Now I can set the XY origins on the NW corner. I'll probably change it so it sets Z as well, but ran out of time today.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21372286_320488321747621_1748165600594624512_n.jpg  
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Nice sharmstr! Can you please share the details of your hack? Not sure what Tormach was thinking when they programmed this feature... I never reference off the SW corner either, it's a floating point.....

Cheers

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is cool, love to change mine like that. Is it difficult?

That's a great change! Could you submit it to Tormach as an improvement request?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    That's a great change! Could you submit it to Tormach as an improvement request?
    I just reused their code from the "probe y-, set work origin" button so its not like they cant easily do it. They dont need my code. With that said, I'll send them a feature request. Though, they are working on PP 2.0 which I believe is a rewrite so they probably wont spend the time adding it to 1.9x

What I'd really like to do is add 2 new buttons on the probing screen. One for the this NW corner change and one for a NW Corner and Z minus routine. I need to figure out their gui first.

Dozer56: I thought about posting the code changes here, but not sure how Tormach would feel about that. If you PM me your email address, I can send it to you.

Just a thought, but maybe they programmed the SW corner so you can probe the fixed jaw instead of a part? I dont know. But that would be helpful in some situations I guess. Even more reason to have multiple options.

That's cool. There's a lot of room on that screen, it would be nice if they'd just make a square grid with a probe button in each of the 4 corners. Just click on the corner you want to probe from.

I've recently been forced to probe from multiple corners on a complex project. So really, why not? I know they want to keep the screen simple but it still can be. A square, with the target circle and button in each of the 4 corners. Just click the corner you want.

I've added probing of all 4 corners via keyboard shortcuts. Unlike my other code, this one will keep the default SW corner probing and icon in place. If you used my other code and now you want to use this, its probably easiest to upgrade to v1.9.13 again (to get back to a stock install), then upload the 4 corner probe code: https://github.com/sharmstr/4_Corners_Probe

I did submit a request to Tormach to add 4 corner probe routines. It hasnt made their feature request list so.....

Thanks Sharm

When one probes for a round boss or hole centre the only option seems to be to set work offset to zero. To measure the location of features, particularly useful for reverse engineering of irregularly shaped pieces, it would be nice to simply display the location of the centre rather than changing the work offset. There seems to be ample free screen real estate to add the necessary buttons. With the current choices one must change back and forth from G54 to G55 to get the actual coordinates of a feature. Or perhaps I'm missing something obvious...

So similar to find x, y or z on the first tab? That's doable.

Up until this morning, I didnt know how to add buttons to PP. I've now figured it out and they actually work.

Exactly. Add buttons to find centre of hole, square boss and round boss and display the coordinates without changing anything.

I like the G54/G55/etc buttons! There isn't room for G59 P~ so perhaps spread the buttons a little although I worry about accidentally hitting Ref A.

While discussing a wish list for screen changes, I wish that the tool description were displayed somewhere. Perhaps below the M6G43/ Tool Length/ GO TO G30 buttons?

I'm going to make buttons for G59.x. Its a work in progress.....

I do not use path pilot, but if I am understanding the thread properly, wouldn't this SW corner probe be used to set the corner of the fixed jaw of your vice as zero and then install your material.

Quote Originally Posted by rocklebeau View Post
    I do not use path pilot, but if I am understanding the thread properly, wouldn't this SW corner probe be used to set the corner of the fixed jaw of your vice as zero and then install your material.
    I made that assumption below. Its still very limiting. I cant think of many times I've lined my stock up with the edge of the jaw. It doesnt matter at this point. 4 corner probing is on the horizon according to Tormach. I've already added it to mine.

https://github.com/sharmstr/4_Corners_Probe

Page 1 of 2 12