585,729 active members*
4,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Program Holds during Tool Change while Drip-Feeding until switched to 'MEM' mode 18MA

Program Holds during Tool Change while Drip-Feeding until switched to 'MEM' mode 18MA

Thanks in advance for your response.

I have a Fanuc 18MA that I drip-feed via RS232. I have done this for many years with minimal issues.
    The only problem I have is when a tool change is called in the program, the machine holds until it is switched to Memory Mode (MEM).
    Then the tool change and all remaining tool changes in the program continue as they should, as long as the machine remains in 'MEM' mode.

The downfall with this is when I have an Option Stop (M01) in the program.
    If the machine is not switched back to 'TAPE' mode before re-starting after the Option Stop, then whichever program is selected in Memory then Starts.
    Which can and has caused things to go south quickly.

Is there a way to call the tool change program (or any sub-program ) in memory via drip-feeding other than just your standard T##M06 without having to switch to Memory Mode (MEM) ?

I know it's a minor issue with available workarounds, I'm just looking to reduce the chance of error.
    I don't trust other operators to run the machine via drip-feed because of this.

Thanks.

Re: Program Holds during Tool Change while Drip-Feeding until switched to 'MEM' mode

This is bizarre and I'm not sure I have the answer. Can you look at your tool change program? Maybe something in it will help you understand. Maybe it's a PLC type problem. Try putting your next tool call in your G43 line where you may also call spindle speed and M3 and initial height. Then put M6 alone without a T call when the next tool is up. I'm stretching but it's a try.

Re: Program Holds during Tool Change while Drip-Feeding until switched to 'MEM' mode

I'll stretch it as well

Seems as if when running a remote file that it is not looking for the M06 macro.....usually a 9000 series macro ie O9001
    ( is there a toolchange macro assigned in the parameters ? )
    ( or is there a search path not defined in the parameters for any macro call to look in the machine memory only ?....not the location of where the file is being run from )
    ( --- this is indicated by you having to switch to MEM mode to be able to find the macro )

you may have a G65 code to experiment with macro calls ( not all m/cs have the code )
    ie
    T1 ;EOB ( prepare T1 )
    G65 P9001;EOB ( call toolchange macro ) or use M98 P9001; EOB