585,906 active members*
3,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Post pictures of your engines!
Page 1 of 4 123

Post pictures of your engines!

This is mostly so Fixittt can see my wobbler but i would like to see photos of your COMPLETED engines.

OK Fixittt, this is the wobbler. Easy to build and very few parts. Free plans are all over the net. This one is made of solid brass but aluminum can be used. The steam tubes are stainless but copper can be used. I run it on compressed air for the kids once in a while. There is 3 or 4 thousand things i would change but that is part of the learning process. You will never get good at making parts if you dont make parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0651.JPG   DSCN0653.JPG  

Here's a couple that I made several years ago and I am in the process of building the Edwards 5 Radial.

Ivy McNeil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twin-1.jpg   1398-2.jpg   im001464.jpg  
    I did not fail,I found 10,000 ways that dont work

One person that builds engines?

http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/phot...s.php?album=27
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0645.JPG  

Nice inline 8! The slide show was great! Something everyone can appreciate!:banana:

Just like a nice miniature engine......poetry to hear and a work of art to gaze upon!

I have a Morton M5 Radial I have been building on, just no pics and my camera just died.

Other than that I have done some rebuilds on model airplane engines, like con-rods, carbs and prop nuts. Modified a couple weed wacker engines for R\C to glow, including mounts and prop adapters.

I also have the Mizer Sterling low temp engine in the works.

Just so little time to get back to them after moving to a new home. The shop is at least 90 percent functional, so hopefully in a few months I'll be back into them. It'll be nice to get the rest of the equipment out of the Garage.

DC

Thats just slick.

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    I have a Morton M5 Radial I have been building on, just no pics and my camera just died.

Other than that I have done some rebuilds on model airplane engines, like con-rods, carbs and prop nuts. Modified a couple weed wacker engines for R\C to glow, including mounts and prop adapters.

I also have the Mizer Sterling low temp engine in the works.

DC

Sorry about the camera. I would love to see your work. The morton is a nice looking engine. Castings are a little pricy but worth the extra coin.

Not as complex, but i have plans for the 370 pip, 3 cylinder. Looking forward to that. I am thinking of springing for ageless engines 9 cylinder plans. If the pip goes well, i'll try the 9. Would like to also take a crack at the ken hurst V8. Again the castings are alot of money, but worth it when finished.

http://www.littlelocos.com/pip/ 370 pip

http://www.agelessengines.com/9cyppic.htm 9 cylinder

http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/ V8

Here are pieces of the one I'm building

Here are some of the pictures.

Jeff

Crankcase

Tailshaft Housing

Assembly with oil drain plug

A close up of the rocker assembly

sub-assembly just to check fit. The green things are old ear plugs – needed something to keep tension on the push rods.

Gearcase

Looks great!! Do you cut your own gears?

I've made everthing except the fastners and I had a friend turn the cast iron jugs.

Hi woodzy

Very nice work woodzy, what is the displacement of the engine.
    Have you had it running yet?

Regards
    Ivy McNeil

Not running yet, I have about 100 hours in it and another 100 hours to go (estimated). I hope to have it completed by the NAMES show in Toledo late April. It is 32cc.

Woodzy

Hi woodzy

I am in the process of building a Edwards 5 Radial, I have about 150 hrs in it and a whole lot more to go.
    Keep us posted on your progress, I would like to see it run when it's finished.

Here is a link to photos of what I have finished so far.
    http://lnk.in/Radial

Regards
    Ivy McNeil

Ivy - Looks great - and it looks like you have plenty of work in front of you. Do you plan to cut all your gears? The engine I'm building I had to cut 13 gears. I needed to buy 4 involute gear cutters for 48DP. I assume you bought plans and if that was the case how well were they dimensioned? The only thing I wished that the plans I have had tolerances for all the components. Sometimes I wish I knew the range because when I go to assemble it, I really don't want to do a lot of re-work just to get parts to fit together and run. I've been doing most of the parts in CAD so I can learn how to solid model parts and also writting the CNC program if needed to learn that also. I needed this project so I could learn these new skills. It is very difficult to learn these new skills without a fun project.

woodzy - I plan on buying my gears, too many other parts to build, a lot of the parts require 5 to 10 pieces each.

The plans are free for non comercial use, I got them at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/R_and_R_engines
    you have to join the group to get to files.
    The plans have tolerance Dim. on critical parts.

Regards
    Ivy

Here are some pictures of an Oscillating steam engine or wobbler I made when I was 15 for my GCSE Technology project.

The engine was all made from stock and was my own design. I was very proud at the time, but when I look back on it now, the finish on some of the components wasn't great.

Having said that, it ran brilliantly, partly due to the relatively large bore and stroke and heavy steel flywheel I think. You could just turn it over on lung power.

I sold the engine on ebay, partly because I thought it may fetch more than 20 pounds! But mainly because it was just sat in a box at home and it someone else could give it a better home! I can easily make a better one now if I want.

Nick

I spent about 7 hours in the shop today working on my little engine. It’s plenty cold so turn up the thermostat and enjoy the heat. Today, I finshed the crankshaft, make the flywheel, flywheel collet, fan pulley and hollowed out the pistons. Here are some of the latest pictures – I’m starting to assembly everything so I’m fitting as I go.

Looks good Woodzy! Looked alot smaller until you put it on news paper. Do you have a plan for the little twin or will it be run on a stand.

If you have'nt seen my engine, im working on a 5 CID straight 8 that will be a bench runner (assuming it will run). It is based on the Bugatti 8.

.875 bore
    1.0625 stroke

http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/phot...s.php?album=27
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0638.JPG   DSCN0666.JPG  

Steve

WOW - You have 4 times as many parts to build than I do. I originaly thought I would built a V-Four but decided to build this V-Twin. I have never worked on a project like this before. My guess is I will have about 200 hours in it before I'm done. No plans for it and probably it will be on a stand.

Woodzy

Quote Originally Posted by woodzy View Post
    Steve

WOW - You have 4 times as many parts to build than I do. I originaly thought I would built a V-Four but decided to build this V-Twin. I have never worked on a project like this before. My guess is I will have about 200 hours in it before I'm done. No plans for it and probably it will be on a stand.

Woodzy

This is my first attempt. If i had known what i was getting into. . . I would have done it anyway. Your twin is large enough to actually do something with.
    Speaking of V4, I would like to get the plans for the Jerry Howell V4. It is a nice little project.
    http://www.jerry-howell.com/V-Four.html

As far as hours go, I refuse to keep track of the hours. Only reason to track of hours is to brag about how many it took. Also could be used as a tool by people who are actually good at this stuff to rib me about how slow i am! LOL

Get a load of these!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0834.JPG   DSCN0838.JPG   DSCN0893.JPG   DSCN0900.JPG  

Page 1 of 4 123