584,842 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Post pictures of your engines!
Page 4 of 4 234
    That is awesome... It's got to be tough to get nice, smooth running at such an RPM!

Great job!

Just posted a couple of videos on youtube of the 4 cylinder boat engine.
    One is much clearer than the other.
    I found out that it was better to remove power from the glow plugs after the engine had started and you will hear a big difference in the top end speed.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdLRe_MWI8"][FONT=Times New Roman]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdLRe_MWI8[/FON"]400 Bad Request[/FON"]400 Bad Request[/nomedia]

When it opens there is a section "2 videos" to see the second one

Great project. I have been looking for something to put a 1/5th scale V8 into. Maybe I should look at boat plans.

boat and engine

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    Great project. I have been looking for something to put a 1/5th scale V8 into. Maybe I should look at boat plans.
    Boat plan I used was from a full scale set I found on the internet. Downloaded in A4 format and then kept blowing them up a bit at a time until I came to the size I needed.

RunaboutsInboard riviera

own design, 3 cylinder, sleeve valve. I think my carb is wayyyyyy too big though, keep flooding it. will try a smaller carb, not sure what size though.... maybe look for a single cylinder .35Cu In engine and get a carb similar in size.

.746" bore, .800" stroke (.35 Cu In per cylinder), 10-40 spark plugs. electronic ignition.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTR0FUeK5c"]CIMG4217.AVI - YouTube[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine(3)6_2_2011.jpg   engine(1)6_2_2011.jpg   CIMG4165.jpg   CIMG4161.jpg  

CIMG3994.jpg   CIMG3995.jpg  
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post

Steve

Have you given any more thought to putting one of your V8's into a boat now that you re close to having them finished?

Cheers

Don

Quarter scale Offenhauser

Hi guys,

Some pics of the completed Offenhauser model, plans by Ron Colonna.
    Took almost 2 1/2 years to build and if I had studied the plans more carefully would have realised that it's a very complex bit of machinery, especially in this scale.
    Cam box covers removed to display cams.

It is set up to run but might end up as a desk top display.

Mago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 088.jpg   Picture 087.jpg   Picture 086.jpg   Picture 085.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    own design, 3 cylinder, sleeve valve. I think my carb is wayyyyyy too big though, keep flooding it. will try a smaller carb, not sure what size though.... maybe look for a single cylinder .35Cu In engine and get a carb similar in size.

.746" bore, .800" stroke (.35 Cu In per cylinder), 10-40 spark plugs. electronic ignition.

CIMG4217.AVI - YouTube
    You might be surprised how small you can go with carby size. When smaller, the engines tend to behave themselves much better. Try something from a .10cu in motor. The 4 cylinder inline engine I built (above) 25cc runs on homemade carby with a 2mm venturi and it will run to 10,000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejets View Post
    You might be surprised how small you can go with carby size. When smaller, the engines tend to behave themselves much better. Try something from a .10cu in motor. The 4 cylinder inline engine I built (above) 25cc runs on homemade carby with a 2mm venturi and it will run to 10,000rpm.
    hmm, interesting. So start small, then work your way up. How would a small carb affect RPM? and how did you figure out the carb size for you engine?
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Quite simple really.....experience....I've done it before and like you, I had size too large. i.e. engine was cranky to start, run and adjust. Fuel draw was poor also. So I cut back until it worked properly. If you look at the design of the carby they use on the V4 Howell engine you will get some idea. I have built one of the Howell carbies and with the idle bar and the main jet bar in the venturi, even I wonder if there will be enough airflow. But it works on the original V4 so there you go.

The Howell V-4 IC Engine Project

Howell 2-Jet Throttle

Page 4 of 4 234