584,805 active members*
4,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > programmed feedrate different from actual cutting feedrate

programmed feedrate different from actual cutting feedrate

i noticed today ... that even though i set for 15ipm ...

when it was cutting it was using 7.9ipm... i used the FRO to speed it up a bit... i know its a setting but not sure which to change... i think its the high feedrate mode on the linking tab... could someone shed some light for me on why its using a slower feedrate than what i set..

rick

Re: programmed feedrate different from actual cutting feedrate

There are different feed rates depending on what part of the path it is. Most are listed on the feed/speed page (tool tab) but there are also some on the linking and passes tabs for some operations.

C|

i think i got it... i selected always use high feedrate ..on the high feedrate mode.... i ran a sim and it indeed does go to the set feedrate i used... that doesnt mean its going to run everything at 15ipm right... it will still follow the slower feedrates i have set for finishing feedrate ...ramping feedrate..plunging .. etc etc

i ran another sim and got something weird... probly a mach3 bug ..

during the ramp in to the pocket its set for 10ipm.... once it hits the floor and is no longer ramping.. its set for 17ipm.... during the simulation...it will hold to those settings the entire time... but if at any time during the ramping cycle i hit stop then restart it....it immediately begins to use the 17ipm setting while still in the ramping cycle .... only if i rewind and restart... will it go back to 10ipm during ramping cycle..

is there anything wrong with using the always use high feedrate option in the linking tab... from what i can understand its putting out the feedrates as G0 instead G1

Quote Originally Posted by 1hander View Post
    i ran another sim and got something weird... probly a mach3 bug ..

during the ramp in to the pocket its set for 10ipm.... once it hits the floor and is no longer ramping.. its set for 17ipm.... during the simulation...it will hold to those settings the entire time... but if at any time during the ramping cycle i hit stop then restart it....it immediately begins to use the 17ipm setting while still in the ramping cycle .... only if i rewind and restart... will it go back to 10ipm during ramping cycle..

is there anything wrong with using the always use high feedrate option in the linking tab... from what i can understand its putting out the feedrates as G0 instead G1

It's actually the opposite. Use highfeed means G1 whereas preserve rapids would be G0. On many machines it's safer to always use highfeed, because then the axes are synchonized and the motion will be exactly what it looks like in simulation. With multi-axis rapid moves (G0), each axis runs at its full speed independently of the other axes. This is usually faster but it means that during the move the exact position of everything is unknown. In some situations this can lead to crashes.

I'm not familiar with Mach3 but what you describe with restarting at a higher feed rate does sound like a bug to me. I can't think of any legitimate reason it would do that.

C|