585,987 active members*
4,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0704 belt drive upgrade

I have no intention of turning my mill into CNC (I can't afford all the hardware at once, it will run into several thousands).

However I'm thinking about the belt drive conversion because it would be quieter, and have less issue with breaking gears (though I never broke one). Problem is I found the belt drive conversion is geared for high spindle speed, and nearly every information I found elsewhere on this mill pertains to CNC conversion (in fact it is almost assumed that if you buy this mill you're going to turn it into CNC). I don't need very high spindle speed because honestly I run HSS cutters sometimes and they don't like high speed.

Do you think in this instance a belt drive conversion is even necessary?

Re: G0704 belt drive upgrade

Run it til you break it, then upgrade as you see fit.

A CNC machine is a different set of challenges than a manual. Better, more powerful and smoother running motors are what is preferred, not necessarily bigger.

With luthier in the name, what are you making? Wooden parts by chance? I run wood on mine for fun sometimes even though some swear not to do it. Works great IMO.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Re: G0704 belt drive upgrade

I make guitars, but since I'm in a small room with others living nearby, I haven't done a lot of woodworking. I machine primarily aluminum. I can do steel if I am VERY patient.

I just bought the HMS belt drive kit from some guy on ebay selling it used. Total cost was like 116 shipped. The higher speed is beneficial if I want to do wood anyhow.