585,717 active members*
3,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Anyone own one of these? microSD card control box

Just bought a 6040 2.2kw machine that doesn't connect via Serial or USB, seems the only way is to use the MicroSD card to load in jobs. I can read the card and open GCode files but getting an error when trying to run any of the files. Keeps activating the Reset button. Of cause no documentation was sent with the machine and very limited information googling it. Hoping someone else might have a similar control box?

Re: Anyone own one of these? microSD card control box

If you read the manual, you will find it is controlled via the PC parallel port. They recommend Mach3.
    Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    If you read the manual, you will find it is controlled via the PC parallel port. They recommend Mach3.
    Cheers
    Roger
    Thats what I thought before I bought it Roger, but as I stated, the Control Box doesn't have any output, No Serial Port, No Nothing just the MicroSD slot. MANUAL??? I emailed the Company that manufactures the CNC and bought from them because they were a manufacturer and not just some random seller on ebay and they had no Manual and the little bit of documentation that did come with it ( designed for another Model ) had English writing but all Dialogs were Chinese and they only had that available and nothing else. Yes Mach3 was recommended and after setting it up to suit the machine I came stuck when I went to connect the Computer to the Controller.

I did a search on "6040Z manual". The first item listed was a 46 page PDF manual from CNCDIY. It is quite comprehensive.
    On the back of the control box, next to the power lead, there is a DB25 connector which goes to the LPT port on your PC.
    It had better be an oldish PC, becasue the modern ones don't have a parallel port any more.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    On the back of the control box, next to the power lead, there is a DB25 connector which goes to the LPT port on your PC.
    Yes I know what a LPT port looks like Roger, actually own a smaller CNC Router thats operated this way. But No port on this Control Box!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	323102

Ah ... er ... that's a different 6040Z.
    Um - indeed!
    Can you take the lid off and look inside?
    Cheers
    Roger

Yes thats why I didn't bother about searching for any Manuals for 6040Z Machines because its not the machine itself that I need help on its operating this New Controller itself. I found a couple of YouTube videos on the actual Controller ( SMC4-4-16A16B ) but they were themselves were saying how they couldn't find anything about the controller either ) Everything has to be set directly from the Controller so doesn't matter what you do in Mach3 setup its not going to copy across. I think I have a problem with the X and Z asis as I can move the Y back and forth but both X and Z cause it to Reset on the small screen so I need to learn how to set the Values and what is causing the Reset to happen.
    I'll look tomorrow inside but couldn't see any reason why they would hide it inside a closed box.

It looks like a Carving CNC kit or knock-off, but the lack of a port is a little unusual compared to what's normally offered in the Chinese units, who supplied it?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Yes Ian, I couldn't find anyone else offering any deals with this Control so thats why I bought from them, I had the choice of paying another $250 for USB connection but didn't think that was necessary as I don't keep a computer in my Workshop. Just thought it would be a Serial Port Job if ever I wanted to connect it direct to a computer. I have emailed the Seller numerous times trying not to get angry, The first response for an Operating Manual for this onboard Control was "Sorry we Don't have one" next response after my emailing Tone got more serious was to send me all the Manual on the USB Version and to tell me to Read it ( Like I had failed to read a Manual they sent ) my 3rd reply is taking much longer to get a response to, As I said, its so hard to not get angry but thats the risk you pay for buying Chinese stuff ( My Partner is Taiwanese so she understands lol ) I have managed to find more information on the net, found all the settings which have different numbers then mine do but when changing the Value I can't get it to accept the change Arrhhhhhh :-)

Hi Ken

Open the box up and photo the PCB(s) inside. Post the photos here.
    You see, often the same PCB is used for all models; they just don't bring all the bits outside. It might (or might not) be possible to see how to connect direct to the PCB. NO promises, but what's the cost of a few digital photos?

Same applies to some modern machines. You buy a basic machine for $X. It costs another $Nk to add some extra SW features - extra g-codes or similar. But all the techie does is load a USB key and unlock the encrypted extras whcih are already there in the resident SW.

Cheers
    Roger

Is it too late to open a Paypal claim to "motivate" them to be more helpful?

Regardless, I'd definitely be opening the unit out of at least curiosity if nothing else.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Don't think the Paypal claim would work. OP turned down the offer of a USB connection, and the specs did not explicitely offer anything else. A very sad case of getting (only) what you paid for.
    Just my 2c.
    Cheers
    Roger

Is the connectivity the issue, though? After all, you opted out of that for the lack of a computer in your shop.

Or is the issue that your G-code is breaking the motion controller?

Perhaps if you sent the manufacturer a simple G-code program that's breaking they might be able to tell you why the thing doesn't work.

Um - yeah, thread drift - guilty as charged.

What's more, IF the box is a g-code engine in its own right - which appears to be the case, then Mach3 has zero involvement. The only thing a PC could do would be to transmit a g-code program to the box. The PC can NOT control the box. Hum ... One suspects a dedicated processor chip running its own OS inside the box. Very stand-alone. So not only thread-drift, but I missed the nature of the whole problem at the start!

OK, looking at the Reset problem:
    I assume that you can Reset the box so it says 'go'?
    I assume that the box shuts down when you try to run any program?
    IF so - then try to run a simple one-line program that just does a G0 X10 from X0 Y0. The very simplest motion.
    If that fails - triggers a reset, then I would suspect either a motor driver, or maybe more likely an encoder problem, on which ever axis was supposed to move.

Cheers
    Roger

Good point Roger

It could be the controller spazzing out over the G-code (my first thought).
    Or it could be the controller starting on G-code it's happy with, trying to drive something and having steppers, drivers, encoders or whatever generating a fault.

As you say, a quick simple one axis move Gcode program will determine fairly quickly where the issue is.

I have my eye on one of this controller on eBay. Your console already have a controller built in and you don't need a PC to control it.
    It's made to read the G-code (from the SD card) which generate by your CAM program.
    Please take a look of the review of the unit itself on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCxDZmvb5po

Hope this help.

Bvbang

Here are couple more videos and a Chinglish version of the manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCuMWMpsldQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA2jltD5_MI

http://chinaplccenter.com/support/pd...is-cnc1508.pdf

I hope they change the UI to English mode when it's shipped.

Bvbang

I would have to ask whether this is quite what OP was expecting to get!
    As a driver for a production router (maybe one of a bank of 10?), running a program which had been fully debugged elsewhere, it might be quite useful. As a hobby machine ... UM.

Cheers
    Roger

As you still need all the other gear to go with it BOB drivers ect and from what I have read about troubles guys/girls have had with electronics .Me personally would go the PC rout mine boots in 1 min and uncluttered runs fast another good nick one is $50 BOB $50 it was easy to wire and troubleshoot I'm not sure I would want to fix one of those .

This unit basically is a full function controller.
    It has a proprietary OS and CNC software (like MACH3 running on a computer) on the firmware.
    I think the power supply, stepper drivers & BOB are in the box. Everything had been internally connected. The connecters on the back are going to the steppers. All you need to do is loading the G-code file via the SD card (or microSD) and run from there.

I agree on using a PC & software controller such as MACH3/4, UCCNC or LinuxCNC would give you more flexibility & control, could even be higher performance than this control unit, but it all depend on what one's goal.
    I personally make 80% of my parts in 2.5D. This unit seem to be a good candidate for my works but I don't have much confident on their CNC firmware since not much review from the CNC community.

I'm staying with my MACH3 for the moment ....

Bvbang

Page 1 of 4 123