585,973 active members*
3,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

60W Chinese Laser Lense Help

I have a 60W 700mm X 500mm Red Chinese Laser I purchased about a month ago. I have read through these forums and found many answers, so thank you so much for that. My problem is I'm not able to cut through 5mm/1/4inch "Sande Ply" plywood. This is supposed to be a softwood plywood and they sell it at Home Depot. We sell wood cutouts and this is literally all I need the cutter for.

Here's what I have done so far:

- Aligned mirrors as per the PDF referenced on these forums. Putting the lines around the original mark and placing tape over top made the alignment SO much easier.
    - Used a slanted piece of wood to find the focus point. (I have an 18MM - 2" lens)
    - I took out the lens and realized that it was upside down from the Manufacturer. This change though didn't do that much for the cut.
    - Cleaned everything and have run tons of tests to figure out a way to cut this.

The best cutting config I've been able to figure out is 80% power @ 7MM a sec and 5 passes to get through it. Even then it doesn't drop out of the wood, I have to push a little. And Obviously it chars the edges terribly. I feel like I'm missing something as it shouldn't take that many passes to go through the wood. I'm OK with 2 passes, but 5 seems excessive.

Any ideas on what I can do?
    Better lens? I'm still confused on which lens cuts best...I think it's the 1.5inch lens.
    Better mirrors?
    What is the DSP upgrade?
    Lastly, the lens is installed with the "bump" pointing up, toward the lid. Is this correct?

My first goal is to get this thing cutting the best it can, THEN I can focus on tweaking it to work better or upgrade it. Thanks in advance for any help you give.

Re: 60W Chinese Laser Lense Help

Try laser Ply and laser MDF they are specifically for laser cutting the standard boards use resins and glue that are unsuitable for laser cutting and if your cutting that slow and poorly you are obviously have a very low powered laser or are using an unsuitable material to cut, link below to a suitable types.
    https://www.kitronik.co.uk/materials...FUJmGwodhS0LQw

How did you tell that the lens was upside down. have you cleaned the mirrors and lens are you using air assist.

The "Laser Ply" will not help me as we are cutting upwards of 100 shapes a month, it would be way too expensive.

Lenses and Mirrors were all cleaned with alcohol and a Q-Tip. When I took the lens out, the "bump" (convex) side was facing down toward the honeycomb platform. Yes, the air assist is on and working.

If you do not want to use laser ply the solution is to get a more powerful laser that is capable of doing the job you require, or a CNC to do the cutting if the shapes are suitable.#
    If this is a chinese laser sold at 60w its 60w peak so 50w or less and at 80% its around 40w and performing as such. #And yes lense is normally round on top flat or concave at bottom to focus beam.

I've been unable to cut 'normal' ply with my 100w laser, it just ends up a burnt mess. With 'proper' laser ply, the results are excellent.

OK first off a 100 watt laser and even a 60 watt laser should have no trouble cutting 1/4 inch plywood I cut it every day with my 60 watt rabbit I run 70% power and 10mmps speed cuts one pass sometimes I have to push a couple pieces out but not always and edges are brown not charred black. So something else is going on here.
    if your sure the mirrors are aligned, clean , lens is clean and the focus is correct , then next check your water temp it should be below 70f or 21c warmer wated will effect the cutting ability of the laser. check the end of the laser tube for any dirt or obstruction. also check to make sure beam is not hitting the cone were it comes out, next get a meter and check the power output of the tube.

Cheap PLY with unsuitable resin bonding is whats going on, I have cut many different materials and can cut 6mm PLY with 40w @ 70% and with exact same settings or even at same time next to each other fail to cut 3mm (even with 2 passes with some 3mm ply). The makeup of the material makes a huge difference and the cheaper ply generally equates to the worst possible for laser cutting.

He's talking about the sanded plywood Home Depot sells here in the states and his laser should cut this no problem and the guy with the 100 watt laser should cut it like butter 1 pass no sweat , its not the plywood its something to do with the laser power or alingment something,like I said i cut thos stuf all the time 1 pass

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    Cheap PLY with unsuitable resin bonding is whats going on, I have cut many different materials and can cut 6mm PLY with 40w @ 70% and with exact same settings or even at same time next to each other fail to cut 3mm (even with 2 passes with some 3mm ply). The makeup of the material makes a huge difference and the cheaper ply generally equates to the worst possible for laser cutting.