585,973 active members*
4,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

chinese laser engraver 40 watt issue help please

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that might address my issue but I tried searching and haven't come across one as I am new to this forum and not sure whre to look.

so I have a 40 watt cheap laser as my learning unit. that unit was functioning fine until one of my employees decides to move it off the bench
    on its side to use the space.

now when I test fire the machine it no longer seams to emit any beam.

previously the excited gas would glow when firing at moderate current now it no longer glows at all and arcs high voltage to the metal
    enclosure

it does seam apparent that some alignment of the mirrors were shifted when moved and stored horizontally

any sugestions as to the laser tube issue or is it just damaged I cant find any test specs to check with my meter or scope
    but the high voltage arc tells me the HV power supply is working.

it does have a hiss when test firing but nothing visual in the tube unit just the audible hiss that I wanna say it had before

thank you for any help in advance

Re: chinese laser engraver 40 watt issue help please

upon further inspection it seems water it in all of the cavities in the tube I cannot remember where it was before but if memory serves it was in the main tube in the center where it is now.

Re: chinese laser engraver 40 watt issue help please

Water should be external section of tube only the central section of tube contains gas and catalysts if water in centre then tube is dead, tubes do not store well and regular use can prolong life by activating catalysts. Tubes decay quickly which is why no one local is likely to stock them and no one buys and keeps a spare, most cheap machines have poor life left in tube after shipping and storage and replacement tube sales are mostly direct from factory where they are constructed. Arcing to casing should not be repeatedly encouraged track by inspection with power off identifying arc tracks and ensure repair of insulation as appropriate. Your 40w laser is actually closer to 30w they are rated as with Broadband speeds at peak performance not realistic performance, even so voltage in the HV circuit at 20% power is around 10,000v and 40watts so if you get close to casing when pressing fire and any part of you gets closer to a better earth than the ground this voltage will use you as a means of escape with very unpleasant and dangerous consequences.