585,715 active members*
3,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Yaskawa 626VM3 Repair?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Yaskawa 626VM3 Repair?

I had a yaskawa drive, I think it was anyway, on my Tree 325J. It died and I wasn't exactly thrilled about putting a used one back in that was in who knows what kind of shape for some serious $$$. I ended up getting a TECO MA7200 for it. I managed to get the parameters for the old drive from someone somewhere then set about doing a retrofit. It wasn't terribly hard to do and with some help from the techs at TECO, I was able to get it running and it ran pretty well. If you have the parameters, it's not too hard to hook up. The Teco's from what I can see, weren't too far removed from the yaskawas as far as programming them (which consists of just entering some V and Hz numbers and selecting a few options here and there). Might be worth a look if you want to go that route. If you do go that route, I would advise to get a slightly larger model than you think you will need. I got a 7.5hp model as my motor is 5/7.5hp. I really wish I would have gotten the 10hp or even the 15hp models as the accel and decel times would have been a bit faster. And if you go new, get the required brake resistor. They are expensive, but worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation and information. I'm going to have to do some research, it looks like replacing the drive with another Yaskawa isn't going to happen.

I have all the parameters from my old drive, and all the wiring diagrams for the control. There is a braking resistor in my control box so I'll need to see if it is up to snuff.

I'm open to any and all recommendations for VFD models. And I appreciate all the help I've received so far, a lot. I'm feeling a lot better about my situation.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation and information. I'm going to have to do some research, it looks like replacing the drive with another Yaskawa isn't going to happen.

I have all the parameters from my old drive, and all the wiring diagrams for the control. There is a braking resistor in my control box so I'll need to see if it is up to snuff.

I'm open to any and all recommendations for VFD models. And I appreciate all the help I've received so far, a lot. I'm feeling a lot better about my situation.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    I like the TECO drives. They have a good bang for the buck, and I haven't had any issues with mine at all. Only problems are that the drive I settled on was a little bit undersized like I mentioned. I think I got mine through factorymation.com as they had pretty good pricing. I purchased one locally before for better pricing, but when I went to buy this drive they kept wanting to up sell me to a more expensive drive (like 2x as much or something, I can't remember, but it was a lot more than I could afford at the time). I got the MA7200 and I also got the matching brake resistor. Odds are, you won't be able to reuse what you have. I know I couldn't with what was in my machine. So if you do get a new one, factor in $100 for the resistor. But it looks like the replacement is the CV7300. Not sure what the differences are, but the pricing isn't bad for their 10hp model: (link)l. Out the door with the brake resistor you'd be under $700. Which isn't bad. Wiring looks almost the same as what I had to do with mine. If you go this route, I would recommend getting the manual for your existing drive if you can get it. Might have to call Yaskawa. Mine was a Saftronics so it was a bit of a chore to track down but I got it from a tech at Yaskawa, i think. Anyway, this should have a wiring diagram on it, mark every wire both physically at the drive as well as on a printed copy of the diagram. In my case all of the wires were already numbered in the machine which helped a ton. I would also take pics as a back up for your back up. Documentation is super nice and helped me sort through some crap when I accidentally pulled out a wire when reinstalling the coolant pump wires (don't ask). In all reality, it should be pretty easy and if I am not mistaken, a lot of the old settings in the menus are very similar. So "reprogramming" the drive isn't bad. Another thing I did, was to print out both of the settings tables from both manuals so you can compare. The newer drive will have a lot of settings your old drive won't have, but most can be ignored. With the printed out copy of the new tables (for An, Bn, Cn, Sn tables) go through and note every change that you make. This way if you need to refer to it later its there and if you ever sell the machine, other people can see what you did so they will have a better time trouble shooting if need be. I went a bit over the top, but it really helped in setting it up and it helped when on the phone with tech support at Teco when I had a couple issues. If you go this route and need help setting it up or anything, pm me and I will get you my # and I will see what I can do. Not saying i am an expert by any means, but I have been there and done that. In all reality, looking back, it was pretty easy to do once I understood what wires did what and how they needed to be hooked up (the manual to manual thing helped a ton) and what parameters needed to be changed (which wasn't too many).

Thank you for your help sortafast!

I sent an email to Teco sales asking for assistance helping me match my application with the correct drive. Right now I am seeing the MA7200, CV7300, and A510 as possible candidates. Most likely the 230v 10HP versions of each.

The A510 has an external encoder card available - I believe it's purpose is to forward the motor encoder information to the CNC control. My understanding is that all these motors can run closed-loop at the drive, but don't necessarily have the outputs to feed that information to the CNC control.

Another question I have is if I will be able to retain the automatic winding selection functionality of the motor with the PLC options on these drives.I'm guessing that I won't, but it would be nice to have (gives full power rating at 500RPM vs 1500RPM).

Not sure if I can help with any of that. My Tree is super simple in it's set up. It has a 0-10v analog freq control, zero speed, freq agree and one other thing, plus a fwd and reverse that go to a common 24v ground. I do believe that the tach on the motor (1 tick per rev) goes strait to the control and not the VFD. Surprisingly simple design. Also, I would call and talk to Teco if you can. Their engineers in the tech dept are solid and very helpful. It's a lot easier to deal with over the phone IMO. Getting one on the line can take a bit though because I think there are only a couple that field calls. But they could get you set up. But really, the new drive should be able to do everything the old drive did and then some so you shouldn't lose any features. You will probably gain some.

Quote Originally Posted by sortafast View Post
    Not sure if I can help with any of that. My Tree is super simple in it's set up. It has a 0-10v analog freq control, zero speed, freq agree and one other thing, plus a fwd and reverse that go to a common 24v ground. I do believe that the tach on the motor (1 tick per rev) goes strait to the control and not the VFD. Surprisingly simple design. Also, I would call and talk to Teco if you can. Their engineers in the tech dept are solid and very helpful. It's a lot easier to deal with over the phone IMO. Getting one on the line can take a bit though because I think there are only a couple that field calls. But they could get you set up. But really, the new drive should be able to do everything the old drive did and then some so you shouldn't lose any features. You will probably gain some.
    Yes your VFD is just a basic General purpose VFD Drive, what he needs is much more sophisticated
    Mactec54

Thank you for your help sortafast!

I sent an email to Teco sales asking for assistance helping me match my application with the correct drive. Right now I am seeing the MA7200, CV7300, and A510 as possible candidates. Most likely the 230v 10HP versions of each.

The A510 has an external encoder card available - I believe it's purpose is to forward the motor encoder information to the CNC control. My understanding is that all these motors can run closed-loop at the drive, but don't necessarily have the outputs to feed that information to the CNC control.

Another question I have is if I will be able to retain the automatic winding selection functionality of the motor with the PLC options on these drives.I'm guessing that I won't, but it would be nice to have (gives full power rating at 500RPM vs 1500RPM).
    If your machine has been setup with automatic winding selection, as that motor when setup can only run from 500 RPM to 6,000 RPM Max, the motor spec's is for that is correct, ( UAASKD ) but you can't have a speed of 8,000 RPM or the listed at 10,000 RPM from that motor, and have winding selection active, check to see if they have the motor pulley larger than the spindle pulley this is the only way they could do it, and use that motor with the winding selection active, this can be setup in most VFD drives so I don't think that part would be the problem, what you will have to have is the Pulse output from the VFD to the control, which most don't have, most can receive encoder signals which regulate/control the motor RPM, then you need the output from this to your control
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If your machine has been setup with automatic winding selection, as that motor when setup can only run from 500 RPM to 6,000 RPM Max, the motor spec's is for that is correct, ( UAASKD ) but you can't have a speed of 8,000 RPM or the listed at 10,000 RPM from that motor, and have winding selection active, check to see if they have the motor pulley larger than the spindle pulley this is the only way they could do it, and use that motor with the winding selection active, this can be setup in most VFD drives so I don't think that part would be the problem, what you will have to have is the Pulse output from the VFD to the control, which most don't have, most can receive encoder signals which regulate/control the motor RPM, then you need the output from this to your control
    Good catch Mactec. Coincidentally, I did look at the pulley ratio last night while going over the system. The motor:spindle ratio is 4:5 so they are gaining an extra 25% speed with the pulley setup. Looking at the parameters I pictured before, this is confirmed (C1-27 and C1-28 are the transmission ratios in H gear and M gear).

I believe the rated motor speed is actually 8000 RPM based off the name plate photoed in an ebay ad for an identical motor (mine is difficult to read). However the documentation for the 626VM3 lists the generic 5.5/7.5kw motor as being rated for 6000 RPM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1000.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	326890

There is a line driver encoder connected to the spindle cartridge with a belt, connected at 1:1 ratio.

Right now I am looking at this:

VFD: Teco A510-2010-C3
    Encoder feedback card: JN5-PG-L
    Braking resistor: JNBR-780W20

The VFD has two Analog Out connections and basic PLC functionality, so I may be able to use that in combination with a magnetic contactor to automate the winding selection. Whether or not this is worthwhile I'm not certain.

It is possible I will be able to cannibalize the Yaswaka drive for parts like the circuit breaker, line reactor, etc.

Do those parts seem unreasonable to anybody? Hoping to order as soon as possible and haven't heard back from Westinghouse support

Ordered the parts - hopefully these will get me moving and cutting parts without to much headache.

Some good news and bad news.

Good news - the new Teco parts arrived. I was really surprised by the size of the braking resistor. I can't wait to get these hooked up and tested

Bad news - I shipped the DOA 626VM3 I ordered and Fedex has "lost" it in shipment. I'm hopeful it turns up in a physical search, if not I'm out the cost of the unit

Started going over the documentation for the connections. Haven't fully wrapped my head around which connections will remain and which will be lost, but I'm slowly making progress.

Right now I am pretty skeptical I will be able to use the ATC with this drive and the original Dynapath 40 control. Mostly because I don't have a strong grasp on all the necessary signals coming into and out of the control computer.

Good news - the new Teco parts arrived. I was really surprised by the size of the braking resistor. I can't wait to get these hooked up and tested

Bad news - I shipped the DOA 626VM3 I ordered and Fedex has "lost" it in shipment. I'm hopeful it turns up in a physical search, if not I'm out the cost of the unit
    Your spindle is now running ??

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

What happened to that 626vm3 drive

Quote Originally Posted by harishmech10 View Post
    What happened to that 626vm3 drive

Yes, the spindle runs with the Teco A510 vfd now.

I ended up selling the 626VM3 that originally came with the machine.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, the spindle runs with the Teco A510 vfd now.

I ended up selling the 626VM3 that originally came with the machine.

Actually i want to clarify the 626vm3 drive needs any encoder card to run the spindle?? Because in my shop all x and z axis turret indexing tailstock all are working fine. Except the spindle is not rotating. It gives me more trouble. Pls help me to sort the issue

Quote Originally Posted by harishmech10 View Post
    Actually i want to clarify the 626vm3 drive needs any encoder card to run the spindle?? Because in my shop all x and z axis turret indexing tailstock all are working fine. Except the spindle is not rotating. It gives me more trouble. Pls help me to sort the issue

Sorry I won't be able to help as I don't have any first-hand experience with this VFD. Mine was dead when it arrived with the machine and I never repaired it.

Sorry I won't be able to help as I don't have any first-hand experience with this VFD. Mine was dead when it arrived with the machine and I never repaired it.

K thanks for your information giz. Nice to meet you. If anything i need information about purchasing new teco vfd means I'll ping you then after please guide me.

Hey giz, is your machine still running with the new drive? I have the same machine with the same problem.

Page 2 of 2 12