585,991 active members*
5,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Yaskawa 626VM3 Repair?
Page 1 of 2 12

Yaskawa 626VM3 Repair?

I have a Lagunmatic 3516SX I am trying to repair. The problem I am tackling right now is the spindle inverter, a Yaskawa 626VM3 model CIMR-VMW27P5. I am not getting any response out of it and the digital operator or screen is not functioning.

There is a circuit breaker and 6 fuses (that I have found so far) that all seem to test ok. There is a red LED in the bottom right of the device that is always ON. I have good power going into the device.

As I was checking some jumpers this morning, I did notice some corrosion (or burned SMD resistor?) on what I believe is the control board - could this be the problem, related, or something different all together?

Very hard to diagnose this because all the troubleshooting documentation I have found relies on the digital screen to read fault codes.

I could really use some help, or advice on who I might talk to with experience dealing with these drives. This is a hobby machine for me so I am trying to keep as tight a budget as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160614_075635988_HDR.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	323490

Name:	626VM3 Front Board.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	323492

Re: Yaskawa 626VM3 Repair?

Bob at Simpler Systems is the man when it comes to all thing Yaskawa (717) 917-5790

We fix stuff like that all the time over here. Check out our website Industrial Electronic Repair & Servo Motor Repair | International Electronic Solutions or shoot me an email [email protected] with your part number and a description and I can see about getting you a guesstimation price before eval (which is free by the way).

Good luck!
    We fix it all! Give us a call at 855-437-3497.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I have a Lagunmatic 3516SX I am trying to repair. The problem I am tackling right now is the spindle inverter, a Yaskawa 626VM3 model CIMR-VMW27P5. I am not getting any response out of it and the digital operator or screen is not functioning.

There is a circuit breaker and 6 fuses (that I have found so far) that all seem to test ok. There is a red LED in the bottom right of the device that is always ON. I have good power going into the device.

As I was checking some jumpers this morning, I did notice some corrosion (or burned SMD resistor?) on what I believe is the control board - could this be the problem, related, or something different all together?

Very hard to diagnose this because all the troubleshooting documentation I have found relies on the digital screen to read fault codes.

I could really use some help, or advice on who I might talk to with experience dealing with these drives. This is a hobby machine for me so I am trying to keep as tight a budget as possible.

Name:	IMG_20160614_075635988_HDR.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	323490

Name:	626VM3 Front Board.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	323492
    We may have some of these drives, they are new I'm not sure if we have the 27P5 I know we have the 25P5, but I will check
    Mactec54

In my search I found a local VFD repair shop called EMC Solutions that said they would look at it for free. They are only two blocks away, so I am going to drop the machine off and see what they say. I suspect they will want to replace the device, but at least I will get some professional eyes on it.

I did find a listing for my exact model (626VM3 CIMR-VMW27P5) on eBay. Seller says it was taken out of working machine and will take less than $1000 so that one option I am considering too. I have been bitten by the "taken out of a working environment" before though (I bought the mill under these pretenses and it has a blown servo board, seized Z ballscrew, now a dead spindle drive....)

Still considering all options!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike283 View Post
    Bob at Simpler Systems is the man when it comes to all thing Yaskawa (717) 917-5790
    I sent Bob an email - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ies fixs View Post
    We fix stuff like that all the time over here. Check out our website Industrial Electronic Repair & Servo Motor Repair | International Electronic Solutions or shoot me an email [email protected] with your part number and a description and I can see about getting you a guesstimation price before eval (which is free by the way).

Good luck!
    I will shoot you some info!

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    We may have some of these drives, they are new I'm not sure if we have the 27P5 I know we have the 25P5, but I will check
    Thanks for checking! I am guessing that new drives will be out of my budget but I'm looking at all options

Are their alternative replacements I could be looking into for this VFD? I have contacted a handful of places today and am getting repair estimates from $1800 to $4500 (the highest ones being for a board replacement only...)

I understand I would probably need to retrofit the control system at that point, but something like LinuxCNC would be a huge improvement over the Dynapath 40 it has currently. This drive implements "winding selection" so the motor is run on different windings depending on the RPM, I'm sure this further complicates my options. Just trying to think though all my options here.... quite frustrated today.

Was this thread moved because I am controlling a servo motor as the spindle?

I had a local shop look over the VFD for me. I was told they couldn't fully test it because they didn't have the software, but they ran a static test and found an issue with the rectifier and the DC bus had an open.

I ended up purchasing a replacement drive that I as told was in working order. Hooked it up last night and got the same results - a mostly unresponsive drive.

I'm not sure what my next step is at this point because this is becoming quite a headache.

I had a local shop look over the VFD for me. I was told they couldn't fully test it because they didn't have the software, but they ran a static test and found an issue with the rectifier and the DC bus had an open.

I ended up purchasing a replacement drive that I as told was in working order. Hooked it up last night and got the same results - a mostly unresponsive drive.

I'm not sure what my next step is at this point because this is becoming quite a headache.
    How are you powering the VFD Drive

What are the spec's on the spindle motor
    Mactec54

How are you powering the VFD Drive

What are the spec's on the spindle motor
    I am using a rotary phase converter made up a 10HP motor and electronics box from Phase Craft. I get 240v +/- 5v across each leg pair, and from leg to ground I get about 120/120/210v.

The spindle motor is a 5.5kw Yaskawa unit, I believe the model number is UAASKB-08CZ

I am using a rotary phase converter made up a 10HP motor and electronics box from Phase Craft. I get 240v +/- 5v across each leg pair, and from leg to ground I get about 120/120/210v.

The spindle motor is a 5.5kw Yaskawa unit, I believe the model number is UAASKB-08CZ
    The Rotary phase converter is most likely what has caused your problems, the problem is the wild leg, if put in the wrong place in your system there will be other problems as well, it sounds like you could of run your machine on single phase, it's right at the max but if you have a good single phase feed you would of been fine
    Mactec54

The Rotary phase converter is most likely what has caused your problems, the problem is the wild leg, if put in the wrong place in your system there will be other problems as well, it sounds like you could of run your machine on single phase, it's right at the max but if you have a good single phase feed you would of been fine
    Would a wild leg in the correct position instantly kill a drive? Googling "yaskawa vfd high leg" brings up a PDF from Yaskawa that seems to indicate failure would happen over time.

When I asked the support engineer at Lagun if a wild leg was ok for this drive, I was told yes. I haven't seen mention one way or the other in the 626VM3 manual. I have the wild leg connected to the T slot in the on-board circuit breaker.

The manual shows only 3 phase input for the 200v series drive, and both 3 and single phase input options for the 400v series. Is it safe to wire in single phase to test? Two hot legs into R and S?

Could a shared ground between the RPC and VFD be an issue?

I'm super open to suggestions and appreciate the help because I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here. Worried I won't be able to afford to keep the machine if I can't figure out a reasonable solution.

Would a wild leg in the correct position instantly kill a drive? Googling "yaskawa vfd high leg" brings up a PDF from Yaskawa that seems to indicate failure would happen over time.

When I asked the support engineer at Lagun if a wild leg was ok for this drive, I was told yes. I haven't seen mention one way or the other in the 626VM3 manual. I have the wild leg connected to the T slot in the on-board circuit breaker.

The manual shows only 3 phase input for the 200v series drive, and both 3 and single phase input options for the 400v series. Is it safe to wire in single phase to test? Two hot legs into R and S?

Could a shared ground between the RPC and VFD be an issue?

I'm super open to suggestions and appreciate the help because I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here. Worried I won't be able to afford to keep the machine if I can't figure out a reasonable solution.
    That should of been ok, is the RPC cnc rated, if not it would only need a surge and it is all over, yes any 3 phase VFD will run on single phase R & T is the best choice, but Yaskawa likes R & S, if this does not work then there are some other things that can be done but I won't write it here, was the replacement VFD dead or did it smoke when you powered it up

When I say any 3 phase VFD will run on single Phase, there is a limit that is viable with single Phase supply, it all depends on your supply I have 400 amps single Phase supply for my shop
    Mactec54

Got it - I see how single phase would de-rate the drive. I will likely try this later tonight - where does the 1PH neutral go in this scenario?

The replacement drive didn't smoke or burn anything from what I noticed. Never saw the digital display even turn on, just like the original.

The cooling fan does run on both drives, and there is a red light in the bottom right corner that illuminates. The light is connected to the DC bus if my understanding of the components is correct.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

The RPC box I am using is this one: 10 HP CNC Rotary Phase Converter Control Panel Tuned for 17XX RPM Idler Motor | eBay

Connected the original drive to a single phase plug, leaving the neutral disconnected. Hots on R and S. Did not change the grounds.

The drive reacted the same, cooling fan on but no response from the readout.

Connected the original drive to a single phase plug, leaving the neutral disconnected. Hots on R and S. Did not change the grounds.

The drive reacted the same, cooling fan on but no response from the readout.

The Neutral can never be used for 240v Single Phase in NA for this type of wiring

Why was there a Neutral wire was this used somewhere else in your control, it should not of had anything to do with your VFD wiring
    Mactec54

The Neutral can never be used for 240v Single Phase in NA for this type of wiring

Why was there a Neutral wire was this used somewhere else in your control, it should not of had anything to do with your VFD wiring
    Sorry I misspoke - I pulled the 50-amp 3-prong plug off my compressor and wired the two hots to R and S and left the Ground wire disconnected (VFD was grounded through the 3ph circuit).

There is not a neutral running to the machine or near it.

I double checked my motor and it model number UAASKD-08HHB11. It is an 8000RPM motor but Lagunmatic claims this was machine was setup for 10,000RPM so not sure where the disconnect is there. All my documentation indicates a 10,000RPM capable machine.

I contacted another user that has a similar spindle motor on a Hurco machine (UAASKA-O8C - don't fully understand the differences from mine yet). He is using a Teco VFD and encoder card to drive the spindle, successfully tying it into the Dynapath 20 control. This was uplifting news - seems like that could be an option for me. He doesn't have a tool changer so couldn't comment on spindle orient, etc. I don't know what I would lose if I went with this drive over the matching Yaskawa drive.

The drive goes for about $700: Teco A510-2010-C3 10 HP Variable Frequency Drive at Dealers Electric
    The card goes for about $100: Teco JN5-PG-L Variable Frequency Drive Encoder feedback card for a line driver type encoder at Dealers Electric

I double checked my motor and it model number UAASKD-08HHB11. It is an 8000RPM motor but Lagunmatic claims this was machine was setup for 10,000RPM so not sure where the disconnect is there. All my documentation indicates a 10,000RPM capable machine.
    It seems your spindle motor is just the standard Yaskawa motor, and can be run by any good VFD that has Encoder feedback, you may need a feed back from the VFD to the control also most do

Teco is a Good VFD, but there are many that will do the same job, if you need something different, can you get a listing of the Parameters that are set in the Yaskawa Drive, this will also give you what the max Frequency it was set at, this determines the speed at what yours was set too, they also may have got the extra speed with a different pulley ratio

They also may have increased the frequency output from the VFD to get the extra 2,000 RPM, but your motor is just the 8,000RPM motor, so most likely was done with pulley ratio
    Mactec54

I do have a photocopy of the parameters from Lagunmatic. I haven't cross-reference them all, but the ones in this photo could indicate what you are saying.

8000*1.25 would give me 10k

I also have a sheet that lists the parameters from Yaskawa factory and all those 1.25 were originally 1.0.

I haven't opened the motor electrical box to see if there is an encoder connection there. There is an encoder in the head casing that is connected to the spindle cartridge by belt. Whether that is used for spindle positioning or just rigid tapping I haven't deciphered yet.

Thank you again for guiding me through this. I'm leaving town until tomorrow evening so will be away from the machine. Lots to think about

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1468079441193.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	326586

Page 1 of 2 12