584,862 active members*
5,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 6m, parts/service/repair still available?

Fanuc 6m, parts/service/repair still available?

Hello, like the title suggests. Just wondering if an older machine is worth diving into. Possibly a retrofit kit may be offered also??

Re: Fanuc 6m, parts/service/repair still available?

Hi diyengineer,

An old friend told me "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go." I apply that idea to several things.

May I ask what kind of milling machine it is?

If the machine is tight and functions well it may be worth it. Do you like fixing things that go wrong yourself? I do not ask that in a sarcastic tone, but a lot of us LIKE to work on projects and ideas.

My shop currently has a mix of new and old machines. Fanuc has a warranty program that we have even added our 1980's machinery to. They came out an fixed a servo motor fan on the warranty, and it has saved us many times. It is, in my opinion, very reasonable. A machine is a couple thousand per year. Plus we found a tech here in Oregon, to work on our machines. When I can I am going try and get the warranty on my personal machine. It will cover the servos, boards, etc...

On the downside, I am currently working on a 1984 VMC Fanuc 3M. The machine is really clean, and fortunately I have the manuals for the control. But, finding other bits and pieces of information I need can be a challenge. On the upside I am learning a lot. It is the same with a STAR Lathe with a Fanuc 3T. We have manuals, but there are a lot of little questions.

This is just my personal experience. I really like the HAAS' we have. But the Star lathe is an interesting challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Hello, like the title suggests. Just wondering if an older machine is worth diving into. Possibly a retrofit kit may be offered also??
    Parts for the 6M are probabally getting very thin now, plus machine wear is a consideration, things that often go overlooked on this machine is servo and spindle maintenance, especially if the brushes are not changed with a preventative maintenance program.
    Another that often happens when purchasing older machines they do not come with parameters etc, and if not saved and stored, the M/C is dead in the water if they are lost in the future..
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Funny thing, so the machine I was looking at wasn't doing a tool change. Told them to figure it out and I'll come see it. I follow up, and sure enough now the machine won't even boot up and is dead. I do have a fanuc 3L controller on an old lathe. I'll have to download the parameters.