585,885 active members*
6,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 intermittent fault at power up

G540 intermittent fault at power up

My G540 seems to have developed a very strange glitch. When I first turn it on, even with no parallel cable and no steppers, it will occasionally go immediately to fault (probably about 3/4 of the time). When this happens, if I cycle the charge pump switch from off > on > back to off, then the fault disappears. Same situation when actually set up with the parallel cable and the steppers - cycling the charge pump switch eliminates the errors.

I tried disconnecting the motherboard and connecting only the power and the e-stop jumper to see what happens (as described in this thread). With none of the drives connected and the charge pump switch set to off, the fault never occurs. When I add back in any of the drives, seemingly in any of the positions, the fault returns intermittently. Again, cleared by cycling the charge pump switch.

Would anybody have any suggestions on how to rectify this?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Re: G540 intermittent fault at power up

i've occasionally had that problem, cycling the Estop button, which is wired directly to the g540 fixes it for me every time.

do you have a switching power supply or a linear power supply? any other strange emi issues?

It's a switching power supply from Automation Technologies (KL-350-48). I haven't noticed anything else that I would attribute to EMI, this has really been the only quirk in the system.

Following advice I found from a thread with someone having what sounded like a potentially related problem, I tried turning the voltage down a little bit. At 45 volts, the problem all but disappeared. I'm not entirely sure what that indicates, but I am happy that it has largely taken care of the problem.

y0da900,

This is likely a voltage spike that is sending the G540 into protect mode. You can monitor the power supply with an oscilloscope if you have one and see what it is doing on powerup. The fact it does it with no steppers connected shows it is not a power supply sag problem, which is another reason for a problem like this to happen.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

I think the capacitor mod i used in my video would probable help you get rid of the issue.