585,930 active members*
4,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > PM-25MV spindle temperature

PM-25MV spindle temperature

I have a PM-25MV I purchased earlier this year. I'm running it manually, and the spindle seems to heat up higher than expected. After running several minutes at about 1500rpm the spindle is too hot to touch. And I'm taking light cuts, like squaring up a block. Is this normal? Those who have this machine, what temperatures are you experiencing? If mine is getting too hot, what is the remedy? Thanks!

Re: PM-25MV spindle temperature

What does running manual mean? Is it on a vfd drive? If so what volts per Hertz values have you programmed? Your symptoms would suggest incorrect volts per Hertz settings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have the stock motor (belt drive); no VFD or anything. Everything on the mill is still manually controlled...by turning the handles for x/y/z movements. I just turn on the motor, adjust it to about 1500 rpm, and after a few minutes it's pretty hot.

Certain amount of heat on the spindle is normal but excessive heat points out to a bearing problem. "Too hot" is a subjective concept and i wouldn't want to point you down a rabbit hole on a subjective concept.

Do you have means to measure the spindle temperature when hot?
    Would you reckon the spindle end up hotter than the motor in those few minutes?
    Does the spindle heats up while running on idle?
    Did this happen recently or was it like that since day one?

If its a bearing problem, it probably is a half day job to replace them given you have the tools.

Sent from my SM-T532 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yohan View Post
    I have the stock motor (belt drive); no VFD or anything. Everything on the mill is still manually controlled...by turning the handles for x/y/z movements. I just turn on the motor, adjust it to about 1500 rpm, and after a few minutes it's pretty hot.
    Some (most?) of us have no idea what a PM-25mv is; perhaps you would get more replies if you give an easy link to a description of it?

Sounds like speed is made by slipping a belt? or a variable pitch pulley?

Could your belt tension be too high? so high that it is crushing the bearings as they go around, thus causing extensive heat?

Is it sual voltage rated? might you have it wired for 120vac but are feeding it 240v instead?