584,837 active members*
5,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help updrading to torroidal trans

I have been trying to come up with a good way to implement this torroidal transformer i have from a behringer ep3000 amplifier, it has 3wires in, and 4 sets of 3 wires out. i get 60v and 100v from the 1-2 and 1-3 of each pair. is there another configuration where i can get closer to 48v for my 3 m542 drivers? or should i just use a large resistor. This is the best i can do currently to show how i have it set up at the moment. But i cannot run my drivers from this yet. i have ot get back to work but if someone could help me out a bit i would be very appreciative. i will return to see if anyone has responded of needs more info. sorry for my inaptitude with electronics. it has been a necessary evil for me but most definately hard for me to get my whole head around. thanks

Re: Need help updrading to torroidal trans

I have rewound or modified a few Toroidal transformers. it is relatively easy to take off or add new windings, but usually the top one is easiest of course.
    The 3 wire input is usually 120-240 input.
    The mounting bolt normally goes through to chassis, but make sure you do NOT install a wire from the head of the bolt to ground as this creates a shorted turn.
    If you want to find out the turns/volt, wind on a simple 10 turns of any wire and measure the voltage for this number.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I have rewound or modified a few Toroidal transformers. it is relatively easy to take off or add new windings, but usually the top one is easiest of course.
    The 3 wire input is usually 120-240 input.
    The mounting bolt normally goes through to chassis, but make sure you do NOT install a wire from the head of the bolt to ground as this creates a shorted turn.
    If you want to find out the turns/volt, wind on a simple 10 turns of any wire and measure the voltage for this number.
    Al.
    Ok, thank you Al, So how am i supposed to tie this into my star grounding block? just tie the negative off of the capacitor to my BoB ground and machine chassis? Or leave Bob and chassis isolated? im a bit worried about interference as i had so much headache with these switched mode supplys and missing steps. I have all my motor wiring shielded with copper (chinese fingertrap?) mesh and grounded on the machine side only, Spindle power is shielded also with the same but at the entrance to my cabinet all of the shielding touches each other. should i keep them isolated? My BoB might be causing me issues also as i seemed to clear up alot of noise by switching from powering it by the usb cord to powering it off a 1000ma 5v wall wart. so many questions sorry. oh and i have my limit switches all run in series and working as home switches too. they are active low and each switch has its open end grounded directly to its mount on the machine with the machine ground and bob ground tied together, is this ok or should i have my machine floating.

I have always favoured making all power supplies common and connected to earth ground if electrically possible, shielding should also be connected to earth star point if possible.
    If you need a small auxilliary supply, 5v, 12v or 24v I have put a small overwind on the toroid if it has the capacity.
    Al..

Albert E.

Buy a transformer which is designed for the purpose. Remember that you not only need the right voltage but also the right current. Also if you plan to connect the windings in parallel you must make sure that they are in phase with each other otherwise your transformator will blow up. Also remember that the voltage will increase after rectification.

So i ended up pulling 30 turns left of the center tap and 20 turns right of the ctr tap of each channel, then after paralleling all 4, rectified, after cap i get two separate secondaries one 50.6v unloaded, and one 26.4v for my relays, fans. etc, i decided to ground the two (-) secondaries, along with the enclosure machine and bob. currently systems never run better knock on wood. only complaint is the Torroidal seems rather warm but ill keep an eye on it. thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    So i ended up pulling 30 turns left of the center tap and 20 turns right of the ctr tap of each channel, then after paralleling all 4, rectified, after cap i get two separate secondaries one 50.6v unloaded, and one 26.4v for my relays, fans. etc, i decided to ground the two (-) secondaries, along with the enclosure machine and bob. currently systems never run better knock on wood. only complaint is the Torroidal seems rather warm but ill keep an eye on it. thanks for the help
    If it gets hot it may be because the secondary voltages are too far from each. Did you measure them individually before connecting them in parallel? The AC voltages must be very near otherwise you'll get a lot of parasite currents generating heat and may also cause serious damage.

Good advice on paralleling.
    What I do is connect one end of each pair together, leaving the other pair of ends unconnected, you should get as close to zero volts between the two ends as possible.
    You may not get exactly ov but if too far apart you get the heating effect.
    If the wire gauges are sufficient, you do not need to parallel.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Good advice on paralleling.
    What I do is connect one end of each pair together, leaving the other pair of ends unconnected, you should get as close to zero volts between the two ends as possible.
    You may not get exactly ov but if too far apart you get the heating effect.
    If the wire gauges are sufficient, you do not need to parallel.
    Al.
    That's another way of measuring but if you know which is higher or lower you can always remove or add one or a few turns to get as close to equal as possible. It is very important that the voltages are VERY near each other in parallel connections and just removing the same number of turns is not the right way of balancing the voltages.

Obviously what I meant was a turn can be added or removed to make the ends measure equal to zero as close as possible.
    Al.

Albert E.