585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics VM15 -Centurion 7 - not reading sd cards

Talking Milltronics VM15 -Centurion 7 - not reading sd cards

Hi all, I am a student going to Iowa State and I just recently purchased one of the old CNC machines (a 2003 vm15) running a Centurion 7 controller. The mill came with the multi format SD reader but we never used it at college. Now that its in my garage I have been trying to get it up and running. I have a usb to rs232 converter to get large code onto the mill but that can take 30 or 40 minutes on large files and It would be nice to use the sd reader. When I put in an SD card and read a file it says "WAIT: Sorting..." then freezes and I have to kill the power and turn it back on to get it to do anything. I have tried shrinking the FAT32 partition size down to as small as 10mb which resulted in the same error or switching the format to FAT which resulted in an unknown drive error. Anyone had any experience with this, or any other things to try? I'm running out of ideas. Also just an extra, but has anyone hooked a centurion 7 up to the internet with the Ethernet port, would that be another route to get large files onto the machine quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by ajshaww View Post
    Hi all, I am a student going to Iowa State and I just recently purchased one of the old CNC machines (a 2003 vm15) running a Centurion 7 controller. The mill came with the multi format SD reader but we never used it at college. Now that its in my garage I have been trying to get it up and running. I have a usb to rs232 converter to get large code onto the mill but that can take 30 or 40 minutes on large files and It would be nice to use the sd reader. When I put in an SD card and read a file it says "WAIT: Sorting..." then freezes and I have to kill the power and turn it back on to get it to do anything. I have tried shrinking the FAT32 partition size down to as small as 10mb which resulted in the same error or switching the format to FAT which resulted in an unknown drive error. Anyone had any experience with this, or any other things to try? I'm running out of ideas. Also just an extra, but has anyone hooked a centurion 7 up to the internet with the Ethernet port, would that be another route to get large files onto the machine quickly?
    You aren't trying to use a SD card larger than 1GB are you? DOS will not be able to handle anything bigger than a gig.

I sized it down to 10mb and it still didn't work, but then I got a program to format it just like a floppy drive (1.44mb fat32) and it worked!
    Quote Originally Posted by allen mullis View Post
    You aren't trying to use a SD card larger than 1GB are you? DOS will not be able to handle anything bigger than a gig.

Re: Milltronics VM15 -Centurion 7 - not reading sd cards

That's odd, I have always formatted my sd and cf cards FAT, but never been rejected and never had to partition them at all.

Re: Milltronics VM15 -Centurion 7 - not reading sd cards

My guess is that you formatted "FAT 32" try a different SD card that is 2GB or less. I bet it will work.( do not reformat any media for DOS at FAT 32)
    I have these cool 2GB SD cards that I use in my updates, they fold in half and will fit a USB slot on the PC

PM me if you have more questions.

Sportybob.