585,877 active members*
3,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Anyone run BCC on a Virtual Machine?

Anyone run BCC on a Virtual Machine?

Does or has anyone run BobCAD/CAM in a virtual machine?

I've just been given a blade server running ProxMox with 8 processor cores and more ram than you can point a stick at and I'm wondering if it's worth running V25 in a VM container rather than on my laptop?

Part of my rational for fancying giving it a try is that I can back up an image of the virtual machine once built and working properly, then in the event of corruption (like I've just had, where selecting BC_4x_Mill in Machine Parameters now defaults to BC_3x_Mill Machine Definition, giving problems with 4-axis posting) or other issues, I could be back up and running in seconds with a clean copy of the original VM build.

It also offers the possibility of using BCC anywhere in the house on any device with a suitable browser running ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Does or has anyone run BobCAD/CAM in a virtual machine?

I've just been given a blade server running ProxMox with 8 processor cores and more ram than you can point a stick at and I'm wondering if it's worth running V25 in a VM container rather than on my laptop?

Part of my rational for fancying giving it a try is that I can back up an image of the virtual machine once built and working properly, then in the event of corruption (like I've just had, where selecting BC_4x_Mill in Machine Parameters now defaults to BC_3x_Mill Machine Definition, giving problems with 4-axis posting) or other issues, I could be back up and running in seconds with a clean copy of the original VM build.

It also offers the possibility of using BCC anywhere in the house on any device with a suitable browser running ;-)

- Nick
    so is proxmox already doing something you want it to do? If not, reconfigure it with microsoft hyper-v server. It will give you best "easy" hardware compatability/migration.

with all that aside, the only issue would be graphics testing, i would imagine. Especially with sim.

but its easy and quick enough to find out. Convert your os disk to a kvm or a vhd and load it up and look!

note: i have not loaded bobcad in a virtualized environment.

Re: Anyone run BCC on a Virtual Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    so is proxmox already doing something you want it to do?
    It does have the advantage of coming with technical support from an experienced user living next door ;-)

Re: Anyone run BCC on a Virtual Machine?

Well that helps. Be sure to keep a plate of cookies on the table so je doesnt get annoyed at swinging by with help...

Just ask him if he will help prep the disk to convert it to KVM and load it up!

I have seen it mentioned here that someone did it. Graphics would surely be the only concern. And of course bobcad wont support it...

Let us know how it looks!