585,987 active members*
4,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Driver for five phase stepper diy

Driver for five phase stepper diy

Hello,
    I have found 2 five phase stepper motors. Does some knows where I can find a shematic for a five phase stepper motor?
    Or a microcontroller based driver?
    The motor works with 70V and 2,8A.
    Many thanks for avery answer

Hans

Re: Driver for five phase stepper diy

Quote Originally Posted by Holzwurm56 View Post
    Hello,
    I have found 2 five phase stepper motors. Does some knows where I can find a shematic for a five phase stepper motor?
    Or a microcontroller based driver?
    The motor works with 70V and 2,8A.
    Many thanks for avery answer

Hans
    You have to at least provide the name & model of your motors in order for us to help. There are several ways your motors could be wired. For example: pentagon or star? Nowadays, most of them are wired like a pentagon but MyCom motors are still wired in Star Topology.
    And for motors with the same topology, different brands use different sequences, unlike 2-phase stepper motors.

I have designed 5-phase step motor driver before. The motors run much smoother than 2-phase but designing the driver for them is a nightmare compare to 2-phase driver.

I believe nowadays, the trend has shifted back to 2-phase and 3-phase stepper motors. If I were you, I would ditch the motors all together. There are a lot of good motor/driver sets online which is much cheaper and better compare to the time/effort/result you get from DIY.

Re: Driver for five phase stepper diy

Quote Originally Posted by clintonedward View Post
    I have designed 5-phase step motor driver before. The motors run much smoother than 2-phase but designing the driver for them is a nightmare compare to 2-phase driver.
    a 2 phase stepper fed from a sine wave will still have torque ripple, but if you feed it square waves, the torque ripple is high enough to cause problems, as everyone knows.

square waves fed into a 5 phase motor would minimize torque ripple to the point that the classical resonance problem might not be a problem (perhaps that's why the industry attempted to use them) but feeding them a sine wave would be even better.

5 phase star should be no different than delta, just change the wires around.. unless you wish to feed the 5th harmonic into the "neutral" to get even more torque out of them (similar to feeding the third harmonic into the usually disconnected star point of a 3 phase motor)

if you've made your own driver do you mind releasing the source code? or was it all discrete logic?