585,761 active members*
4,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simulate help

How do you know how to setup the simulator to test run your parts? I'm having mixed results when I try to use it. Here's a simple file for demonstration purposes... sometimes I'll get it just about right, but more often than not the tool cuts the surface at weird places.

I guess my question is, how do I set up simulate to display this file correctly? Say the stock is X=4,Y=2 and it's .5 in Z with a .1 depth of cut. File is in inches and the post processor is for Mach3.
    Attached Files Attached Files

For what you have you will need a sheet of stock measuring X4.9375 Y1.7375 and a Height or thichness of .125 or more.

Normally the Z positions are Minus. In your case it is Positive Z.1. If this is where you want it then fill in the Dialog Box like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails testspiral simulate settings.JPG  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

On simulating your 'testspiral' program it looks like the tool passes through your letter 'S' when moving to do the small pockets.
    You may need to alter Tool Postion Z (Rapid Plane) figure under Tool Depth Settings.
    On checking your code there is no change of Z from start to finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TestSpiral.JPG  

Thanx gents. I'm having a bit of a trying transition to Bobcad... I'm not used to not defining my stock more than anything I guess. It's really throwing me off for part setup. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Dfennell View Post
    Thanx gents. I'm having a bit of a trying transition to Bobcad... I'm not used to not defining my stock more than anything I guess. It's really throwing me off for part setup. Any tips?
    A few tips. Some are personal preference.

1) I like to draw a block or cube that represents the Material to be Machined.

2) When Milling always set X0 Y0 to the Hard Jaw and Banking Point.

3) Be mindful of what tools you want to use as not to Machine Your Vise.

4) Always use a Common Z0 for all your projects. In other words Z0 should be a Clean Face on the top of your Material. All Z moves there after should be Z- (Z Minus)

Here is an example
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

There we go - good tip. I think that'll work for me. On your material representation - is it a solid model? I mean, did you extrude curves to create the box? Then just put it on another layer?

Also, did you create your model in Bobcad?

Quote Originally Posted by Dfennell View Post
    There we go - good tip. I think that'll work for me. On your material representation - is it a solid model? I mean, did you extrude curves to create the box? Then just put it on another layer?

Also, did you create your model in Bobcad?
    No and No

The Model is in Mike Mattera's Tutorials for MCV9 that I am learning at a friends shop.

The Box I created using the Rectangle Function in BCC V21. I usually start there to get some rough geometry.

These were done in BCC V20.

BCC can be great if you really get to know it well. Been a user since V17.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com