585,727 active members*
4,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > F360 wants to mill my vise.

F360 wants to mill my vise.

My workpiece is in a vice. I only want to notch two corners at the end that's free of the vice and five holes in the body of the workpice. When I went to run the job, F360 tried trim the perimeter of the stock. I stopped it before any damage was done. How can I make F360 not mill the edges that are in the vice?

Re: F360 wants to mill my vise.

adding the vices into your model will help, it sounds like you selected the outside of the part as a profile, you wont to select the end edge as your profile, it would be faster if you ask this on the fusion forum one of the expert elites will say how to do it
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks,

I'll give it a try. F360. at least for me, isn't very intuitive. I didn't realize there is a Fusion form I'll check it out.

I suggest you spend between one and four hours attending one of their free online tuition sessions, I found F360 more intuitive than you apparently but sitting in on a four hour session one evening I learnt far more than I had in many months of self tuition. Their sessions cover many topics and are well constructed and range from starter sessions to fairly advanced, only cost is your time and from experience I can tell you that taking 4 hours to join a session saved me far more than those 4 hours in my first day using software afterwards. A no brainer and you will get a link to a recording of the session if you do not manage to take it all in first time it will allow you to go back and review anything. And by the way F360 does not want to do anything it is only following your instructions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are hundreds of videos and previous sessions available but from my experience I was glad I decided to sit in on a live event if for no toher reason than in this rapidly changing product the many new additions and functions some from only days before were all covered. Also the knowledgable staff / developers that are running these courses are available to answer any of your specific questions at the time!

I'm going by memory on this but I think I can get you pointed in the right direction. When you make your selections for the contours hold down the ALT key while doing so. This will activate only the selected contours at the ends and not the ones that are held in the vise like you are doing now. I think some of the toolpaths also have a setting where you can uncheck something like "propagate around z axis". Using the ALT key is better though. Another possibility is are your drawings done with extra stock? If so it will also go around the outside of the part.

Tom

I would just draw an XY plane on the model a c-hair above where the vise is sitting if nothing else worked (assuming you want to go around the jaws and lower than the surface of the jaws). It's a quick easy fix, and you might waste time machining an imaginary plane, but at least it won't go past that point. Just don't let the cutter go around the plane (you can limit the toolpath to a profile when you select your geometry, don't select the plane)

A easier way is move the bottom plane up or select the vices as a fixture if you model it in.

Moving the bottom plane is the easy way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Simulating the toolpaths in Fusion 360 is much more efficient than trying to hit the EStop in time.