584,812 active members*
5,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > How to setup individual work pieces for multiple parts
Page 1 of 2 12

How to setup individual work pieces for multiple parts

I have been doing waterline roughing pocketing on the ends of tubes and on single/individual bases it has been going well. I am now trying to do multiple parts at once and am running into trouble.
    When I was doing one tube at a time, I could define a primitive work piece as a tube and the pocketing approach worked.
    Now that I am doing multiple parts, I cannot find how to do multiple work pieces as tubes. I either get all the parts grouped together as one part or start off with one part then try to copy it but the work piece does not copy.
    I can do cylinders by extruding off of a face but when I do this and use waterline roughing (pocketing) SC thinks that the parts are solid and wants to waste a lot of motions carving out the inside of the parts (which are tubes) and all I need is a narrow pocket.
    Does anyone have any tips on working with defining multiple cylindrical work pieces or possibly a work-around?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Re: How to setup individual work pieces for multiple parts

Nathan,
    I make multiple parts often, I draw a single part, import this into Sprutcam, define the operations I need for the one part, then go to the transform function to set the number of parts using the spacing and row options, this will duplicate the part as many times as you want.

I may not be understanding exactly what you need as I dont have your drawing, but I use waterline roughing and finishing, 2d contours, drill and tap cycles, and it will make the number of parts I specify off the one single part drawing.

I use Sprut 7 but I am sure the option is in the other versions as well.
    mike sr

Hi Mike/popspipes,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am able to use transform to make multiple parts but my issue comes when I try to define an individual work piece (stock) to each part.
    I am working with tubes and I can't figure out how to do this in SC.
    For individual parts I can define a tube as a work piece by selecting the inner and outer diameter.
    Maybe I need to define g54, g55, etc centers for each part but I currently am not since I am referencing all parts to one g54 off of a fixture plate.

My pockets are at different angles and when I select one sc extends the work area to all the parts.

I hope this isn't confusing.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Nathan,
    I make multiple parts often, I draw a single part, import this into Sprutcam, define the operations I need for the one part, then go to the transform function to set the number of parts using the spacing and row options, this will duplicate the part as many times as you want.

I may not be understanding exactly what you need as I dont have your drawing, but I use waterline roughing and finishing, 2d contours, drill and tap cycles, and it will make the number of parts I specify off the one single part drawing.

I use Sprut 7 but I am sure the option is in the other versions as well.

I thought the parts were identical, sorry I cant help.
    mike sr

Is it possible to draw a 2D figure around each part and declare each figure as a work work zone?

Yes, each part is identical. My problem is trying to define a 'tube' workpiece (or stock) for each part.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I thought the parts were identical, sorry I cant help.

Yes, I have tried that but it only lets me 'extrude' a cylinder and I can't find a way to define a tube work piece for each of the tube parts I have.

I guess the cylinder work piece works but since my parts are tubes (standing vertically) it makes for quite a bit of extra machine time 'air cutting' the pockets in the ends of the tubes since sc thinks the parts are solid and wants to machine the interiors of them.

If I can only define cylinder or blocks as individual work pieces, I am going to set all if my pocket cutting as 2d contours or similar routine so I can target the cutting.

I thought about restricting the 'job zone' but that would only help me with a single part (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    Is it possible to draw a 2D figure around each part and declare each figure as a work work zone?

Might need more information or picture of your problem to get this right or the way you want. From what I read using the transformation / multiply scheme / 2 dimensional array should work for you. All the tool paths will be generated at the defined offsets for each operation for as many as you define. You wont see the part or the stock only the generated too paths. From my experience what is generated for the part by selecting surfaces will be exactly copied for as many offsets as you define under the multiply scheme / 2 d array. shown below

Attachment 325162

If the stock needs to be defined with a hole or whatever shape you want "casting or other" the ONE way I achieve this is to draw the material shape to be used and import that igs to use as the work piece defined in the model tab. This should allow you to have a work piece that is exactly what the stock / material looks like.
    Then extra tool paths milling air is avoided.
    This process can also be extended and copied along with part models but I think is more work then required for what your doing in this case

Also if the transformation function is used its a good idea to check the g code generated . Using the subroutine option will not generate correct code in my experience I can only get copy to work correct.

Thank you for the detailed reply, md.
    I wrestled with this yesterday. I didn't know you could import a model, or part of it, and define it as a workpiece.
    I tried this by importing a workpiece igs that was the profile of tube i wanted, sewing the faces, then selecting 'faces' in the workpiece section. This kind of worked but instead of the defined workpieces being solid, they were 'faces' or shells so they didn't help me much for simulation.
    So far I have come to realize that you are pretty much stuck with using a generic block or solid cylinder if you want to define multiple workpieces with multiple parts. Bummer.
    I think I will just have to define cylinder work pieces and then do precision focused machining on the areas I need by using creative 2d contouring.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Might need more information or picture of your problem to get this right or the way you want. From what I read using the transformation / multiply scheme / 2 dimensional array should work for you. All the tool paths will be generated at the defined offsets for each operation for as many as you define. You wont see the part or the stock only the generated too paths. From my experience what is generated for the part by selecting surfaces will be exactly copied for as many offsets as you define under the multiply scheme / 2 d array. shown below

Attachment 325162

If the stock needs to be defined with a hole or whatever shape you want "casting or other" the ONE way I achieve this is to draw the material shape to be used and import that igs to use as the work piece defined in the model tab. This should allow you to have a work piece that is exactly what the stock / material looks like.
    Then extra tool paths milling air is avoided.
    This process can also be extended and copied along with part models but I think is more work then required for what your doing in this case

Also if the transformation function is used its a good idea to check the g code generated . Using the subroutine option will not generate correct code in my experience I can only get copy to work correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Thank you for the detailed reply, md.
    I wrestled with this yesterday. I didn't know you could import a model, or part of it, and define it as a workpiece.
    I tried this by importing a workpiece igs that was the profile of tube i wanted, sewing the faces, then selecting 'faces' in the workpiece section. This kind of worked but instead of the defined workpieces being solid, they were 'faces' or shells so they didn't help me much for simulation.
    So far I have come to realize that you are pretty much stuck with using a generic block or solid cylinder if you want to define multiple workpieces with multiple parts. Bummer.
    I think I will just have to define cylinder work pieces and then do precision focused machining on the areas I need by using creative 2d contouring.

You could also outline your stock with 2D Geometry and extrude it. It would only take a couple minutes to do.

Guess I don't understand what your trying to get done. I have imported multiple igs files to use as parts and as custom defined stock. Even combined different part profiles and stock profiles together to get blended part tool paths that machined together only in certain operations. From my experience there is a number of ways to define part , stock, and fixture models and use these models in multiple offsets, sides and transformations, just need to keep kicking it until you get the results you want

Forgive my ignorance but can you elaborate on the steps to do this?
    Are the extruded solids considered 'work pieces' by sc when it is all said and done?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyb24 View Post
    You could also outline your stock with 2D Geometry and extrude it. It would only take a couple minutes to do.

Seems like sc is kicking my butt 😭

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Guess I don't understand what your trying to get done. I have imported multiple igs files to use as parts and as custom defined stock. Even combined different part profiles and stock profiles together to get blended part tool paths that machined together only in certain operations. From my experience there is a number of ways to define part , stock, and fixture models and use these models in multiple offsets, sides and transformations, just need to keep kicking it until you get the results you want

Forgive my ignorance but can you elaborate on the steps to do this?
    Are the extruded solids considered 'work pieces' by sc when it is all said and done?
    Thank you
    Yes they are considered workpieces. You just click the 2D geometry tab and draw circles tracing the stock (Outer and Inner circles) to essentially trace the dimensions of the tube. Now under workpiece in the machining tab, you click extrude and choose that geometry, give it a top and bottom level for the depth of it and simply hit add. I will shoot a video today at some point and upload it to my new youtube channel I'm starting. It's real easy to do. I'll post it here when finished.

Awesome, I would love to see a video. Ever since John Saunders of nyccnc stopped using sc, there has been a huge hole in videos on sc.
    I love tormach's sc videos but I wish they made more.
    Thanks for the reply

Yes they are considered workpieces. You just click the 2D geometry tab and draw circles tracing the stock (Outer and Inner circles) to essentially trace the dimensions of the tube. Now under workpiece in the machining tab, you click extrude and choose that geometry, give it a top and bottom level for the depth of it and simply hit add. I will shoot a video today at some point and upload it to my new youtube channel I'm starting. It's real easy to do. I'll post it here when finished.

Awesome, I would love to see a video. Ever since John Saunders of nyccnc stopped using sc, there has been a huge hole in videos on sc.
    I love tormach's sc videos but I wish they made more.
    Thanks for the reply
    Give this a whirl. Crudely done, I know, but it should get you what you are looking for. I plan on ramping up the production value in the future but I want to start small and work my way up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpE4Jt2HGc

Nathian, I did a test and from what I see you right. The waterline functions ignore what you define and treat the area as a solid and tries to mill it. Selecting that area and restricting sprut from using the area in the operation or operations worked best.

Attachment 325404

I imported igs files with holes and defined them as stock for the part shown above and sprut ignored It.
    Also the multiply group function shown in picture above works real well for these types of setups far less editing and messing around.

Philly,
    Try your extrusions out with waterline operations and see if it sees them and does not try to generate too paths for it.
    Also nice video content that you can learn from and not so much talk ! Be good to see some more on sprut.

Mountaindew,
    It seems to be seeing them all right although it's a little ireggular, I would go with the 2D contour over it any day of the week regardless. Face milling is picking up all the stock. This is how I usually do the majority of my stock if it's not just a standard block of material.

edit:
    The image just popped up that you posted. Could be a bug. I'd send it in to SC America and have them send it to Russia.

Mountaindew,
    It seems to be seeing them all right although it's a little ireggular, I would go with the 2D contour over it any day of the week regardless. Face milling is picking up all the stock. This is how I usually do the majority of my stock if it's not just a standard block of material.
    I agree! I find some of the 3d operations generate all sorts of extra movements and more or less do what they want. I tend to use other methods as often as possible. In the past I have used igs files as stock definition combined with the casting option but found this has changed in this version and was tricky to achieve and when you tried to do multiple parts it had same problem as CR just pointed out.

Still there might be a trick to this that I have not found. like using the stock igs as the machine results form previous operation then create a dummy op to get this defined correctly not under stock but under part nd the operations seeing only what is needed to mill. I have found many different ways to get results because of the open model environment sprut has and tend not to say it cant be done

Give this a whirl. Crudely done, I know, but it should get you what you are looking for. I plan on ramping up the production value in the future but I want to start small and work my way up.
    I didn't know that you could do that, so thanks for taking the time and making the effort. Seems a lot clearer in a video. More please!

Page 1 of 2 12