584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > SIEMENS Sinumerik CNC controls > SIEMENS -> Sinumerik 840C > Siemens 840C on a '96 Hyundai HiT 30S.........Where do you even begin!?
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Siemens 840C on a '96 Hyundai HiT 30S.........Where do you even begin!?

Amen brother; I'll be here with bells on! Talk to ya soon.

Mike

We've got a 15S,18S withy 840C control & a 30M with 840D controls, been running these things for years, when I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll post up some stuff for you, which should help

thanks it would be appreciated
    Garry

Tool Measuring:

1.Make sure key is turned to "Edit Comm" Key is top left of control
    2.Turn Mode select dial to jog or manual, X1,X10,X100
    3. Press "Tool Measurement" button on bottom right of screen
    4. Index turret to tool position you wish to measure(Make sure tools won't hit anything)
    5. Make sure the Tool Type is correct ( Uses types 1 through 10) ensure tool number is correct(Should use 1 through 8)
    6. Press "Tool Eye Forward" button, tool eye should come down(May need to pull it down if spring inside is broken/bound up)
    7. Jog tool over to tool eye & touch the correct sensors, tool should back away from the sensor then come back in slowly & touch before backing away again(Red LED on top of tool eye should be on, tool eye sensors should BEEP when touched) If no LED on or no BEEP then highly likely tool eye is broken/disabled
    8. Move turret away from sensor & index/repeat with other tools
    9. Press "Tool Eye Back" button to retract sensor

Tool Types:
    1: Internal Left Hand(Back Boring Bar)
    2: Internal Right Hand(Standard bore bar)
    3: External Right Hand(Right Hand turning tool)
    4: External Left hand(Left Hand turning tool)
    5: ????
    6: ????
    7: Drill/Gripper
    8: ????
    9: ????
    10: Same as tool type 7, but will automatically set X offset value to "0" & change tool type to 7 after setting(Useful for drilling on center)

Tool Eye sensors used.
    Tool Type 1: Z axis near to chuck, X Axis near to door
    Tool Type 2: Z axis near to tailstock, X Axis near to door
    Tool Type 3: Z axis near to tailstock, X Axis near to turret
    Tool Type 4: Z Axis near to chuck, X axis near to turret
    Tool Type 7 & 10: Z axis near to tailstock, does not use X axis, if any offset on X axis when drilling etc then drill will be offset from centreline of machine

Resetting Tool Eye Calibration:

1. Check tool eye is function correctly
    2. Use DTI & check squareness by indicating across black section below Z axis sensor on tailstock side
    3. Sensor should indicate within 0.03mm, if outside this measurement, loosen off the 4 M3x8mm capscrews & adjust until correct/tighten screws & check again
    4. Once within adjustments tool eye may need recalibrating. Setup a turning tool & boring bar, measure both & turn/bore to a nominal size with Zero offsets for tool wear etc, If the tool cuts on size then no recalibration needed, if oversize/undersize then recalibration is required. Record nominal size/measure sizes
    5. Press "Menu Select" button
    6. Press 'Diagnosis" button
    7. Press 'Password' button
    8. Type in Password "1111" without quotation marks
    9. Press yellow "Input" button
    10. Press "Set" button
    11. Press 'Start-up" button
    12. Press "Machine Data" button
    13. Press 'Cycle MD" button
    14. At the bottom of this page you will see Measuring Element Data , 1020 = Z plus, 1021 = Z Minus, 1022 = X Plus, 1023 = X Minus
    15. Write down these figures. To adjust, change these figures by half the difference between the measure size & the nominal size, If turning & the measured size is large than then programmed nominal size, the increase the figure in 1022 by half the difference. If boring & the bore measures undersize then decrease 1023 by half the difference. Usually is you adjust one sensor, you adjust the opposite side by about the same amount as the distance between them doesn't change unless you change the whole tool eye sensor. I don't normally adjust the Z axis ones unless you've got a lathe with live tooling where the vertical live tooling needs to be setup to the correct distance to the center of the tool.
    16. After adjustment press the "Page Up(^ Symbol)" button
    17. Press "NCKPO Power off" Button, this will save the changes & restart the control
    18. Wait for about a minute while the control restarts, press the "Reset" button
    19. Press "Power On" button
    20. Turn dial to "Ref"
    21. Press the "Home" buttons to send the turret to the home/reference position
    22. Reset the tools using the tool eye & run program again to ensure it now machines to programmed sizes.

To Load a program(That is already on the machine/hard drive)

1. Make sure Key is set to "Edit/Comm"
    2. Press "Communication" button on right hand side
    3. Press "Data I/O" button
    4. Press "NC - Disk" button
    5. Move up/down the folders to the correct folder, press "Input" button on correct folder
    6. Move cursor over the correct MPF file you wish to load
    7. Press "Load Start" button, if it comes up with do you want to overwrite, press "yes" button
    8. Press "Machine" button
    9. Turn Mode/select dial to "Auto"
    10. Press "Select Program" button
    11. Scroll down to correct folder name
    12. Type in program number e.g MPF7
    13. Press "Select program" button again
    14. Press "Edit program" button, check program is the correct program loaded

Transfer a program to the lathe from a pc

1. Press "Communication" button
    2. Press "Data I/O" button
    3. Press "Data Input" button
    4. Scroll down to USER using
    5. Press "Input" button
    6. Scroll down to LOCAL
    7. Press "Input" button
    8. Scroll down to the folder you wish to transfer program into
    9. Press "Input" button
    10. Make sure cursor is over the line with all the dots
    11. Press "Input Start" button, then press "Ok" or "Send Data" on your PC program

I've normally used Hyundai's D-Pro software to write programs & transfer them. I have also used Gibbcam & HyperTerminal as well

To make a new folder on the hard drive

1. Press "Communication" button
    2. Press "Program" button
    3. Press "Workpieces" button
    4. Press "New" button
    5. Type in the name of the folder, maximum 8 characters, no spaces
    6. Press "Input" button
    7. Press "Ok" button
    8. Press "^" button to get back to the page with all the folder names
    9. Press "Machine" button to get back to the main screen

Communication Settings/Protocol

Device Type = universal
    Protocol = RTS/CTS
    Baud rate = 9600
    Stop Bits = 1
    Parity = None
    Bits per character = 8
    X On Char(Hex) = 11
    X OFF Char(Hex) = 13
    End transmission Char(Hex) = 03
    Leader/trailer = No
    Ready = yes
    Stop At = M02/M03
    End of Block = CRLF
    Beginning of Output after XON = No
    Time in seconds = 60
    Transmission Format = Punch Tape Format

Protocol Settings (Wincom/HyperTerminal)
    Port = Com1
    Baud rate = 9600
    Data Bits = 8
    Parity = None
    Stop bits = 1
    Flow = RTS/CTS I've also had some luck with XON/XOFF
    Terminal Operations = Autowrap
    Use CN Receive Notification = Yes
    Display Errors = Yes

Hopefully this will help get you going. Somewhere at home I've got a zip file with the Hyundai D-Pro software, but it really only works ok on a pre windows-XP computer or run in a virtual machine running windows versions before XP. I've got a Hit 15s/18s Manuals, not sure on the Hitrol programming one. I've also got the Hyundai turret realignment procedures etc

ATMOSPORTS
    we have the manuals and still have trouble but I will get my cnc guy to use these procedures and see if that helps because i'm not sure where we are at this point mainly frustrated .but I need this machine running to run some small jobs that are a nusince to run in the manual that are small tapered and 1/8 pipe threads.I think once we get a handle on it it will be a breeze.Almost like trying to communicate with someone with a different language.
    I know there are serveral people on here that have the same problem .This information is greatly appreciated
    Thankyou
    Garry Cox

I've been running these things for 15 years without too many issues, a few electronic components mainly sensors have died but our 1998 model 18s still basically cuts as good as it did when new. Sure the control isn't as simple as a centroid/hass etc to start with but once you figure it out they are pretty good & changing over to another model like an 810d/840d even if its on a grinder/machining center is pretty easy.

I've got some other procedures for initialising the communication settings etc, which I've had to use once, but you shouldn't need those unless you're getting an error about the comms needing to be initialised.

From memory, the data cable has two wires swapped the same as a null modem cable, but I'm not 100% sure on that & we've got a long cable run in the new shop that makes it a pain to pull the covers off & check. Also check the data cable is going into the Serial 2 connection inside the electrical cabinet on the machine. This is the bottom connection on the far righthand side beneath the 3 round plugs for the display

I'll try & dig out the D-Pro software over the weekend, so you guys can try that if you haven't got it, or perhaps I can chuck up one of our MPF files from a proven program we run that I know transfers/loads ok here for you to try just to eliminate any issues with the MPF file you're trying to send/load??

Quote Originally Posted by atmosports View Post
    I'll try & dig out the D-Pro software over the weekend, so you guys can try that if you haven't got it, or perhaps I can chuck up one of our MPF files from a proven program we run that I know transfers/loads ok here for you to try just to eliminate any issues with the MPF file you're trying to send/load??
    well now a new problem the back up battery died 9v and it's telling me to change time and date,done now it's saying to reload NCK with 6 options so I didn't have time to do this so I just shut it down because I wasn't sure and didn't want to screw it up ,again thanks for all the help
    Garry Cox

9V battery should be a lithium long life battery, easy to change & generally you'd do it with the power on, they should last about 3-5years. Our 15S started eating them & siemens told us it could be any of the control cards playing up & we'd have to keep swapping them until we find the one with the problem, at a cost of thousands of dollars. We've just wired in a 9V power supply to the mains power, our mains power goes out about once a year so it's not too bad & way cheaper

Reload Parameters/System initialization after battery Failure:

1. Change Battery
    2. Power up the system, it should display the siemens logo on the screen
    3. Press "Area Switchover" button
    4. Press "Start-up" button
    5. Press "Gen. Reset Mode" button
    6. Press "Format NCK AWS" button
    7. Press "^" button
    8. Press "Machine Data" button
    9. Press "File Functions" button
    10. Select the bottom window & highlight the appropriate machine parameter file as per machine type. eg Hit-18S if it's an 18S lathe
    11. Press "Load Start" button
    12. Press "Yes" if prompted to overwrite machine data
    13. After file transfer is complete press "^" button two times
    14. Press "Gen Reset Mode" button
    15. Press "Format NCK AWS" button
    16. Press "PLC General Reset" button
    17. Press "End Gen. Reset" button
    18. Wait until control comes out of general reset mode
    19. Power off machine
    20. Power on machine
    21. Home machine & select automatic mode
    22. Type in "L965" & press "Select job/Progra," button two times
    23. Press "Cycle Start" button
    24. Machine is now ready for normal operation

Resetting maximum spindle speed after doing the above (Otherwise it's set to 50RPM max)
    1. Press "Machine" button
    2. Press "Setting Data" button
    3. Press "Axis/Spindle Limitations" button
    4. Move to maximum RPM & set to the correct speed 4200rpm for 18s or 4800rpm for 15S
    5. Press "Machine" button
    6. Press "Setting Data" button
    7. Press "General Data" button
    8. Scroll to Work Co-Ordinate Display & press "Select" or "Input" button to set to yes

thanks Atmosports we will try this as soon as we can and see what happens
    Garry Cox

So have you guys had any luck, i just picked up one of these lathes as well, the controller is quite interesting things are hidden it seems in it.

Quote Originally Posted by awscwi11 View Post
    So have you guys had any luck, i just picked up one of these lathes as well, the controller is quite interesting things are hidden it seems in it.
    It seems like There are a few on here that run these with no problems I need to get mine going as well but other priorities have temporarily pulled me away from this ,mainly a learning curve I think because mine are built well and do all the movements good just a little different than the controls we are used to such as Fanuc or Haas
    Good luck with the new toys keep us updated as you progress
    Coxfive

Quote Originally Posted by atmosports View Post
    Hopefully this will help get you going. Somewhere at home I've got a zip file with the Hyundai D-Pro software, but it really only works ok on a pre windows-XP computer or run in a virtual machine running windows versions before XP. I've got a Hit 15s/18s Manuals, not sure on the Hitrol programming one. I've also got the Hyundai turret realignment procedures etc

Did you have a post processor that works with any other cam software's, we're you able to find the d pro program? And what part do you add to your file to get the controller to accept it when loading a file?

Page 2 of 3 123