586,009 active members*
4,878 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Linear Guides have varying resistance along rail?

Linear Guides have varying resistance along rail?

I just got some used linear bearing guides and rails and I've found that they don't run as smoothly as I expected at slow speeds. I'm finding that one block in particular wants to hang every few cm such that I have to push it a bit harder to get past the point. Seems like there is an oversized ball bearing in it or something. Some of my larger bearing blocks are much smoother. I made a video showing the difference between two blocks on one rail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haD2tyiFL_M
    I'm curious for comments or suggestions.

Re: Linear Guides have varying resistance along rail?

Chmedly,

Some blocks actually have preload built in, have you checked the model numbers for specifications?

Dirt will also cause problems, have you cleaned the bearing thoroughly with something that has Kerosene like properties?

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by chmedly View Post
    I just got some used linear bearing guides and rails and I've found that they don't run as smoothly as I expected at slow speeds. I'm finding that one block in particular wants to hang every few cm such that I have to push it a bit harder to get past the point. Seems like there is an oversized ball bearing in it or something. Some of my larger bearing blocks are much smoother. I made a video showing the difference between two blocks on one rail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haD2tyiFL_M
    I'm curious for comments or suggestions.
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Re: Linear Guides have varying resistance along rail?

They also bind if not mounted flat. Liner rails are not strait when unmounted.