584,829 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Help on cnc convert for a smithy 1324
Page 2 of 2 12
    I have a Smithy 1324 MAX and was looking at CNC options. I came across the link to the 1220 conversion above. It is using direct drive steppers at over 1000 oz in on ball screws.

The kit that Smithy sells for over 4k only has 424 oz in steppers and I assume they have you using the factory screws. I have also noticed that they have a kit to attach the motors via pulleys and belts that seems from the pictures to be a gear reduction. It may be that the Smithy kit is just very slow??

Can anyone comment on what they used for a motor screw combination?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FabMonkey View Post
    I have a Smithy 1324 MAX and was looking at CNC options. I came across the link to the 1220 conversion above. It is using direct drive steppers at over 1000 oz in on ball screws.

The kit that Smithy sells for over 4k only has 424 oz in steppers and I assume they have you using the factory screws. I have also noticed that they have a kit to attach the motors via pulleys and belts that seems from the pictures to be a gear reduction. It may be that the Smithy kit is just very slow??

Can anyone comment on what they used for a motor screw combination?

Thanks!
    You are probably well aware of the milling limitations already. If you do the CNC conversion you will be in the same situation- you will have an OK cnc lathe at best. Following is a link to a guy who had 2 of them he spent about 13K on and was dumping them for around 3K.

2 ea Smithy Granite 3-in-1 Mill Drill Lathe + CNC & DRO - eBay (item 360322280721 end time Dec-03-10 14:31:21 PST)

Thanks for the reply.
    I did not see any info in the description on that auction about screws and motor sizes.

They lathe seems solid to me. I have not done much with the mill yet but will only be milling aluminium or plastics.

My thoughts are that I will remove the factory nuts/screws and get ball screws and install an encoder on lathe so I can still thread. I have no issues using the machine via the jog wheel on a VCP for simple things.

I have a granite 1340 that I am wanting to convert to cnc and ball screws

no handles needed

should i just direct drive, or go the belt route like smithy did, If i go direct drive what steppers should i be using

I need to know where to start, and there are no cnc conversions to be purchased, so this will be a part together kit

I have fusion 360 and plan on using that

There are kits on ebay with the three steppers, drivers, and other parts for 3 axis

ANY information that I can get would be helpful and appreciated

Re: Smithy Cnc

I know this post is 13 years old but I wanted to know if you can recommend any sources of information how are you converted year 1340 machine to CNC. I would like to do exactly what you have described above including the Rotary table.

Page 2 of 2 12