584,846 active members*
4,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Help on cnc convert for a smithy 1324
Page 1 of 2 12

Help on cnc convert for a smithy 1324

Hi,
    My name is Tim. My dad has a Smithy 1324 3 in1 machine. We've been having a hard time to find products to make it CNC. We enjoy manual work, but like to get to CNC. Where look for everything to setup. Plus if their's stepper motors that wiil allow use to couple the hand cranks for manual use from time to time.

Also looking for a simple digital readout that will work with a smithy. I know this stuff cost a lot. But my friends around won't help me out. We Just do this for hobbies, Rc Scale Gliders, and parts.

Tim

Tim-

I have had a Smithy 1324 since Feb. 1999. I have not converted it to CNC, but I did add a three axis DRO system a few years ago. The system I chose was the CBX Digital Display (from Shooting Star Technology). It has really made my machine so much more fun to use and has greatly increased my accuracy and repeatability. This is the same system that Smithy offers (or used to offer) in their catalog, but I went through Shooting Star directly. Smithy was able to provide me with how they recommend installing the DRO.

The system I have has been replaced with a newer display with more functions.

I am not selling mine, but thought I would let you know of one that works well with a Smithy.

If your interested in discussing further, e-mail me at [email protected].

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks to MNM for the help. But I see that other people read these post. I would like to hear your side for help Please.

Tim

Lightbulb

Here's the machine I use in my Dad's Garage. Still looking at options for upgrading to CNC.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0066.JPG   PICT0067.JPG  

Smithy Cnc

Tim,
    If your interested I have a 1340 that I converted to cnc and ballscrews.
    I am converting it back to sell it.I have had to go to larger machines.
    I will sell the complete setup including the ballsrews and cnc setup plus the computer with MACH 3 ready to put on your machine.You will have to shorten the x axis ball screw but I believe everything else is the same.
    I also have the rotary table with a stepper motor that runs off the cnc setup.
    It is home built and uses gecko drives,check out Smithys' cataloge my machine was featured in there.
    It all works very well,I can send you photos of a cnc router that I cut alot of parts my Mastercam on my Smithy.
    If you live near Ohio you can come and try it out.

I'm interested if only the steeper motors have a double end. So I can do manual or cnc. unfortunitly i'm in california.

Tim

Cnc

No the motors aren,t double ends.
    With Mach 3 you can mill without making a program,you just don,t have to crank by hand.

Hey TPMX,

It's still My dad's machine, he's looking for the double ends on the stepper motors.

Sorry

Tim

CNC retrofiting a 3in1

TPMX,

I am currently looking at a Busy Bee 2229, wich I believe it's very similar to the Smith 1324.(shorter)
    The B229 is shown here:
    http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2229

I am interesed in a CNC retrofit kit for it.
    Sounds like your set up might do the job.

If it's still for sale, drop me a pm, or email me at [email protected]

regards

Mike D

QUOTE=TPMX;249209]Tim,
    If your interested I have a 1340 that I converted to cnc and ballscrews.
    I am converting it back to sell it.I have had to go to larger machines.
    I will sell the complete setup including the ballsrews and cnc setup plus the computer with MACH 3 ready to put on your machine.You will have to shorten the x axis ball screw but I believe everything else is the same.
    I also have the rotary table with a stepper motor that runs off the cnc setup.
    It is home built and uses gecko drives,check out Smithys' cataloge my machine was featured in there.
    It all works very well,I can send you photos of a cnc router that I cut alot of parts my Mastercam on my Smithy.
    If you live near Ohio you can come and try it out.[/QUOTE]

Smile

Actully looking for the cnc with the double ended motors so we can mount hte hand cranks on it.

Tim

Guys
    I've look around and cant find any thing on cnc for a smithy machine. Besides smithy products, which I'm not comfortable with astepper motor and a belt pully drive. I like to find where it's direct drive double end stepper motor setup. That can do a 3 in 1. their should a program that could split up operations with a 3 in1.

Tim

Have you tried FlashCut CNC The Smithy Granite 1324 is built for a CNC upgrade made by these people.

See http://www.flashcutcnc.com/html/retrofits.html

I don't think direct drive with manual operation is going to work, assuming you use ballscrews as the pitch will be to large for manual use. You could possibly stick with acme leadscrews and direct stepper drive and put up with the inevitable backlash issue. You should investigatermore as to why the Smithy option uses a belt drive, there is probably a good reason that you should understand before you jump.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by cadsolidworks33 View Post
    Guys
    I've look around and cant find any thing on cnc for a smithy machine. Besides smithy products, which I'm not comfortable with astepper motor and a belt pully drive. I like to find where it's direct drive double end stepper motor setup. That can do a 3 in 1. their should a program that could split up operations with a 3 in1.

Tim

where can i get lead screws and what would the cost be.

Tim

My Dad is old fashion but it's his machine. I'm trying to help out and see whats the best way and find someone close to help out.

Tim

One of my friends told me that Mach3 was the best out their for software. Plus my dad dosen't trust belt drive pullys.

Tim

You can buy a crank handle that simply drives the stepper motors directly, I believe they can be calibrated to whatever step distance you want. I think they are pretty reasonable as well. Try Littlemachineshop.com.

Hi,
    My name is Del and like Tim I'm having difficulty finding a CNC conversion for my Smithy. Mine is a discontinued 3-1 model MI-1720 CNC. How would I learn to do it myself as TPMX did?? I can build many things but for this I will need a plan! I'm interested in shape cutting brass and al. with the mill. Any help appreciated!

I may be interested in getting the ball screws that you used to retrofit your Granite 1340 TPMX. I would like to know also if you were able to use ballscrews on the Z-axis - I think that I will try to answer that question myself by going to the Smithy display site that you suggested above. Thanks in advance - Keith

Tim,
    I have been looking to convert my Smithy also. Here is a link to a guy that has done one already. If you have any questions let me know.
    SMITHY 1220LTD CNC CONVERSION

Page 1 of 2 12