585,737 active members*
4,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Practically no amperage on spindle output from TB6560 BoB

Practically no amperage on spindle output from TB6560 BoB

Getting my first DIY machine running. everything is great except the output #1 for spindle relay (actually using for turning torch on/off)
    Not sure if this is the right section - but here it goes!

Using Mach3 with the TB6560 4 axis BoB. Trying to use the m3 command to turn on the hypertherm plasma cutter. We have a 36V 30A relay in order to trigger the plasma cutter.

When I plug the multimeter into the ground & pin on the breakoutboard (output #1, pin1, port1) i get a steady 36 Volts using the m3 command. However, I only get 0.53mA amperage when activating the spindle on/of, which is nowhere near enough to trigger the relay... Do I need an amp to get this amperage up? or is there a way to increase the ampere power to the breakout board via mach3?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Practically no amperage on spindle output from TB6560 BoB

Bump? Anybody have any advice/input?

A picture of the board would help. What does the board output circuit look iike? Does it have some driver or a relay? Or are you trying to drive your big 36V relay straight from the output of an optocoupler?

Does this help? I'm really in the dark here. Thanks for the help...

Here's the board's specifications:
    New TB6560 CNC Stepper Motor Driver Board Controller 4 Axis with Box Protection | eBay

The output I'm getting 36V with only 0.52mA is the 3rd pin from the bottom, labeled "out". That's connected to the relay, which then connects to the ground pin on the very bottom.

From the (very basic) description in the eBay listing, the output of this board seems to be an open collector NPN transistor. So the relay coil connects between the output and the positive rail, not the ground. Problem is, the transistor may not be strong enough to drive your relay. What kind of current does it require?

Also, please stop using pliers to turn nuts. I can't tell you how many circuit boards I've seen that have been destroyed this way. :nono:

The last few photos are from an old BoB that was faulty, the BoB with the pins attached is in much better condition and pliers were never used. don't worry!

Here's the relay I'm using:
    Potter Brumfield T9AP1D52 36 01 36V 30A Battery Charger Relay Lester Golf Car | eBay

I'm a civil engineer - not an electrical engineer, so a lot of this is still new to me.

Any idea's for a solution for this? Do I need to install an amp to boost the amperage?

According to the datasheet, your relay has a 1W coil, which means 27mA of current. So I think your board may be able to drive it without any additional components. Just try connecting the relay coil between the output and the +36V bus.
    Oh, and don't forget to put a diode across the relay coil to protect the transistor. (Unless the board already has that diode; D4 could be it.)

ok great, I'll try that, thanks! Is there a size/amperage diode that should be used if it's the D4?

Newbie question here, what's the "bus" in the "+36v bus" you are referring to?

Also....
    - Which direction does the diode need to be placed?

- if I'm connecting the relay to the output pin and the 36v power supply pin, isn't that connecting a positive to a positive? Where will it ground to? Not sure I understand how that works? Maybe a schematic would help....

I appreciate your help!

Here is an illustration for open collector output.

Attachment 326438