585,996 active members*
4,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Acrylic vector cutting quality on Chinese lasers?

I'm curious to know what the cut quality is like on the Chinese lasers when vector cutting acrylic. I've been eyeing the 50w models that run around $1300 on eBay.

Pictures like the one I've attached would be much appreciated, plus any info on the material, thickness etc. Thanks!

Attachment 325774

Re: Acrylic vector cutting quality on Chinese lasers?

You would be well served to watch some (or a lot) of Russ's vids on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SarbarMultimedia/videos

I think he started with a common 50w from ebay. I have a 130w Chicom laser and get *very* nice cuts- about a .011 kerf and polished edges. Gene

Quote Originally Posted by tacogrande View Post
    I'm curious to know what the cut quality is like on the Chinese lasers when vector cutting acrylic. I've been eyeing the 50w models that run around $1300 on eBay.

Pictures like the one I've attached would be much appreciated, plus any info on the material, thickness etc. Thanks!
    There are several threads in this forum discussing the "jagging", "ridging" issues with some pictures.

The problem is caused by the instability of the laser source and poor quality mechanical components. The eBay machines you mentioned use the cheapest parts available in China so you shouldn't expect quality. If you need the machine for hobby then OK. If you intend to make money with it I would suggest to invest a little more.

@genempls Thanks, I agree, the cuts look very nice. Video #54 has lots of close-ups

@storen The cuts on the 50w Chinese laser look pretty good to me, although I imagine it varies.

I've been using a friend's epilog helix laser and the cuts are not as good as russ's 50watt, even right after a tune up.

Right now we're getting jaggies that happen every 180 degrees of rotation of the stepper motor (which along with the control board were replaced to the tune of $1300). I've been back and forth with epilog by email and so far they're denying it's related to the motor, but I don't see how it couldn't be.

In the original image I attached the right hand cut (in 3mm acrylic) is normal operation, and the left hand cut was made after this motor issue popped up.