585,676 active members*
4,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 30 of 38 202829303132

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Hello all,

after I presented the programming of the Arduino DUE for GrblHAL last time, today I want to follow up with the programming for the STM32.
    The STM32, also known as BluePill, is often available for less than $10, GrblHAL and GrblGru are free.
    Considering that you get a 32 bit system for 5-axis for that, that's not bad, is it ?
    On suggestion of users I started to create a list, in which I write down a few key points to the changes of the respective version.
    This list "Release notes" is available on my website from now on, so that you can check at any time if an update is worthwhile for your specific application.
    The current changes of version V5.0.9 mostly concern the lathe operation. I will report on this separately at a later date.

This is the update many of us have been waiting for. Finally a piece of affordable hardware that's widely available and easy to configure. I've got a couple of boards arriving today just to test your latest version. I found it almost impossible to find a version labelled "authentic" so I just ordered from a popular seller and will see if I get something compatible with your software.
    Brad

I bought my BluePill quite a while ago. It seems to be a problem right now to get a 128K type.
    If anyone has found a source, it would be great if they would post it here for anyone else interested.
    Thanks

Hi I am trying to set up a Unimat lathe using GRBLGRU V5.0.0 Win 10, for some reason, I have no view now of anything in the 2D viewer editor? tool, toolpath etc.. It was working now it is not? please help! Thanks
    Last edited by gauthib12; 01-16-2023 at 08:00 PM.

I finally converted my Unimat lathe to CNC a few weeks ago and have been using GrblGru with Windows 11, Linux; and even macOS (by following the Linux instructions but with PlayOnMac instead of PlayOnLinux).

I have run into a few problems; some of which I’ve not found a solution for yet. I can also verify that I’ve also never seen anything show up in the 2D drawing window when working with a Unimat Machine in GrblGru (in response to previous post above).

My issues:

First: The distance between the final Rough pass, and the first Finish pass turns out to be enormous. In some places it’s double the infeed depth set in the Rough job; and significantly more than infeed depth on the Finish pass. This is a problem with an without Final rough path being enabled.

I actually run a few of these jobs, and managed to grind the spindle nearly to a halt on the first finish pass. Even with extremely low feed rates set… As you can see from the screenshot; that’s an enormously deep cut in comparison to rough or finish.

Second: There is an unnecessary roughing job that happens entirely outside the stock area (in the positive X axis). It also happens backwards; as Z moves at X0.0 happen in rapid, and the Z moves at X0.250 (etc.) happen at feed speed. I’ve simply been editing this part of the Gcode out before running them since it’s just a waste of time. You can see those moves below the yellow stock size indicator line in the screenshot. Only things that happen in the X- are actually cutting into the stock material/work.

Third: I ran into a bug that I have not figured out how to reproduce reliably. Somewhat thankfully actually; as the last time I had that issue it took a few hours to figure out how to get back to a working configuration. In the broken state; in the area between stock Start Diameter and model size, it would produce roughing tool paths that made no sense. Taking huge bites, and incomplete roughing passes. What ended up “fixing” this for me was repeatedly starting GrblGru, changing Start Diameter to 0, quit GrblGru, Start GrblGru, set tool assigned to rough+finish job to blank, quit GrblGru, etc. All without loading any work. After a bunch of fiddling around like that, I finally got it to produce normal roughing paths again; beyond the issue listed previously which I can simply delete at the moment. If I can figure out how to reproduce this issue reliably I will report in more detail.

Forth: I am using Marlin firmware to control the lathe. This presents a few minor issues with the Gcode. Marlin doesn’t seem to do anything with lines that don’t start with a command. GrblGru does issue a G01 up front, but every move command after begins with Fxxx (which is fine in grbl where it assume the last command; but Marlin ignores all those lines). Currently using find and replace in a text editor to replace F with G01 F. Also; apparently Marlin won’t do curve interpolation over X/Z axis; only X/Y. So my firmware is configured for X/Y moves. So for that; I again find and replace all Z to Y. Not terrible since I’m already editing the Gcode to get rid of the senseless moves in X+; but it would be nice to have the option to output those minor changes directly.

Finally: While I see you don’t list macOS support; I spent some time testing it out anyway since that would be ideal for my workflow (and much faster than a Linux VM if I’m not using Windows at the moment). GrblGru is able to generate tool paths, and export Gcode for me just fine. The only problem is I can’t preview them in the 3D window. Upon opening GrblGru there is an error as show in the attached screenshot. Interesting to note the blue background hasn’t drawn behind the 3D model yet when the error appears. The model is very small and centered in the drawing area. And the model can not be zoomed or panned; but the orbit function does work still. Also interesting to note; if I change machines, it will show a smaller machine, and then switch to slightly larger, or vise versa; show a larger machine, and then draw a smaller one moments later. So it can in fact show me different size; but I can not perform those translations in the GUI with the mouse (as the error notes, the offending function has been ignored, and I assume that’s why I can’t zoom/pan). I even tried to edit the INI file directly; copying known good viewport config from a GrblGru on Linux. Sadly, that didn’t draw the 3D model any larger. Hopefully that’s enough of a clue to point you in the right direction on that issue. Seems to be happening pretty early in the window drawing process.

Beyond that transition between Rough and Finish; I’m quite happy with the software so far. It’s really nice to have such a full featured CAM software available for lathe tool paths. I’d be glad to do any other testing you might care about regarding the macOS issue, or any other issue as well.

Sorry; here are the screenshots. I can upload files or settings if needed. I might even have a broken roughing outside of the model size (larger stock) file if I look really hard between all the machines I've been testing on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 4.44.09 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 2.21.14 PM.jpg  

Following up to my previous post, I did manage to get the toolpaths to show in 2D viewer, so its sort of making sense now, but when I try it on the real machine, I can't seem to get the start position right, because the model machine home position is different to mine, I end up with no travel.. I am using limits switches, this is a picture at home position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230116_202912.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	488407 @joerlane curious what Unimat you have? mine is the DB200, while the model in GRBLGRU looks very similar I am not sure about the travel and such, I am trying to figure out how to customize the model in GRBLGRU, I know the model needs to correspond exactly to that of the real machine to run tests and avoid collisions

In regards to my setup I changed a couple of lines in the GRBL config_h file

First, because when I was homing I was showing at home in negative, so I uncommented this line 129 to enable, now home is 0,0,0,0 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230116_203041.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	488409

Second, I changed lines 105 and 106 because I don't have a Y axis set up and it was stopping waiting for the Y limit to trigger before moving off Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230116_202954.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	488411

Third, I commented line 339 to disable as I am using Arduino Uno for pin D11 to work for z limit Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230116_203315.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	488413

Last just a picture of my settings in GRBL sorry its sideways!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230116_203703.jpg 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	488415

I am hoping to have the lathe model show my actual machine and position in the GRBLGRU and am trying to figure how to get the spindle to work with XZ in order to do threading (@GRBLGRU as showed in one of your Youtube videos with the timing pulley/belt setup).. I noticed in the V5.0.0 there is a H axis for rotary, is this what I should be trying to set for threading/rotation?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230116_203939.jpg 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	488417

I'm hoping to have the lathe in the model, replicate my machine homed position as in the above pic

Thank You look forward to any advice!

@gauthib12

I have an SL 1000; but that doesn't matter much once you CNC the machine. Those differences are all tiny things about the machine hardware. They are almost all the same in any way that matters.

What I did find early on is that my controller firmware didn't like to eat the GCode GrblGru made. I had to add G01 to the beginning of every line that otherwise started with Fxxx. What controller do you have, and what firmware?

Please do tell me how you got 2d view to work. I'm still not seeing anything there. And I just ignore it; and use the 3d to look at my tool path.

You have end stops installed on your machine? I don't. And the home position is set when the controller starts or resets. I just rest my controller when I am home, and run from there. I also run test jobs with no stock, or outside of that area to make sure the machine is moving where it needs to.

Furthermore. I had to modify my firmware a few times to get the directions to match what GrblGru was showing me. I had to reverse at least one of my motors for that. Sounds like that might be an issue for you if it's not doing anything (and you have end stops enabled and in use). All the moves GrblGru generates for me are in the -X and -Z direction. Those move into the work.

You can likely use a command to disable end stops; and it might work for you. Hope this helps some...

Quote Originally Posted by gauthib12 View Post
    Following up to my previous post, I did manage to get the toolpaths to show in 2D viewer, so its sort of making sense now, but when I try it on the real machine, I can't seem to get the start position right, because the model machine home position is different to mine, I end up with no travel.. I am using limits switches, this is a picture at home position.

Name:	20230116_202912.jpg 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	488407
    I just downloaded and installed GrblGru v5.0 assuming that's what you're using.

Regarding not being able to see the DXF geometry in the 2D view; There are several small icons above the viewing window that allow you to select various canned views. The first icon says 'Zoom All'. Press that and everything should now be visible. This assumes you already imported the DXF.

The second thing I noticed is that under the Rough & Finish routine the first line in the '2. Rough' parameters shows that it's not Active by default. Change this to 'Yes' and it should now show and calculate both the roughing and finishing paths.

[QUOTE=curious what Unimat you have? mine is the DB200, while the model in GRBLGRU looks very similar I am not sure about the travel and such, I am trying to figure out how to customize the model in GRBLGRU, I know the model needs to correspond exactly to that of the real machine to run tests and avoid collisions

I am hoping to have the lathe model show my actual machine and position in the GRBLGRU ...[/QUOTE]

To get the chess piece aligned left to right you can manually jog your toolpost and cutter using the large arrows on the 3D view. (Do this in Simulation Mode only) Once you have it aligned you can hit the 'Set Workpiece Zero Point' button which will bring the part up to the tip of the cutter and set that as your origin position in the g-code. (You can also set just the Z Zero by selling the box to the right.) HINT: The Z position does not have to match your physical setup exactly. The primary goal is to avoid hitting the chuck or headstock with your cutter so leave some extra room.

On the Unimat you now have to physically set your X&Z Zero positions to the material in the chuck. Typically, the end of the stock (+/- a little extra for cleanup) is Z Zero and the center of the spindle rotation is X Zero. BIG HINT: For those of you with Homing Switches, make a note or take a picture of the distance of this zero position relative to the Machine Zero Reference positions. If something goes wrong this will allow you to rehome the machine and then go to these numbers and get back to work without having to physically pick up your zeros.

Also be aware that there is an area at the very bottom, left of the screen for setting the raw stock's diameter. (Beneath the Start and Stop buttons) This is used in the roughing toolpath calculations to determine where to start cutting in the X axis. If it's set to 0 it won't create the roughing path.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Re: Surfacing tool and wrong picture

First of all sorry for the late response, but unfortunately I didn't get any notification about new post.
    Also on the title page under 'Last Post by' it still says 'GrblGru' ?

Now let me try to answer some questions:

@Rocketman
    Look here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/402529828485
    There is a STM32 with 512KB Flash 128KB RAM

@gauthib12
    I must confess that I am not a friend of limit switches.
    The whole handling with it (e.g. freeing) is quite complex and complicates things immensely.
    In all these years, I have never experienced driving onto a limit switch. Most of the time, you get stuck somewhere on the holder
    or comes with the tool into the spindle.
    Therefore, I can unfortunately not contribute much to this topic.
    But I recommend to make the limit switches passive in case of existing problems.
    You can then activate them again when everything else is working again.

As Jay_Perez already said, the view is probably set wrong in the 2D view.
    Here you have to select 'Top View' (4 buttons from the left). This is my mistake, I will remove the other view buttons.
    Very important is also the 'Zoom all' button. It makes sure that everything is displayed full screen.

I am willing to help you to make a 3D model of your machine.
    Please send me a PM with your email address. I will contact you then.
    Over the forum the data exchange is a little bit difficult.

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you a bit regarding thread cutting. The video was only a one-time attempt to see whether it is at all possible to do this with GRBL.
    In this form, it is probably not practical to use.

In the meantime, there is the new GrblHAL system, which provides many new features for the lathe, e.g.
    G7 - Lathe diameter mode
    G8 - Lathe radius mode
    G33 - Spindle synchronized motion
    G76 - Threading cycle
    G95 - Feed rate mode, units per revolution
    G96 - Constant Surface Speed mode (CSS)
    G97 - RPM mode

Also 500W servo motors are now available, which can be controlled with pulse and direction signals.
    As soon as I have some time again, I want to equip my lathe with it and then also create a thread cutting mode.
    But it will take some time

I can't view your attachments. (Invalid attachment specified)

@joerlane
    To view in 2D window please see above.

To 1.
    Roughing is to ensure that the contour is roughly exposed. The parameter responsible for this is 'Offset' in the chapter Rough.
    The 'Final rough path' is intended for the removal of excessive stock allowance.
    Can you please send us an example where this does not work ? Please save everything as a project and provide us the project (***.gru) file here.

To 2.
    When loading a DXF or SVG file, the parameter 'Start diamter' in the stock box on the main page should be set to the maximum diameter of the drawing.
    But this is done only if the entered start diameter is smaller than the Max. Diameter. So once you set the start diamter to a larger value,
    this remains. The result is that the yellow line (the start diameter) is further outside and many rough passes are generated.

I can't see your screenshots either.

To 3.
    I think this also has to do with the start diameter setting.
    If this is not the case, please provide us with an appropriate project file here as well.

To 4.
    I try to use only standard GCode to be understood by as many controllers as possible.
    But there is a menu item "Postprocessor" in the menu Extras. Here I implemented some functions to change the GCode afterwards.
    Please have a look if there is something for you. If not, please describe in detail what you have to do.
    Then I can try to create a special function for you.

About macOS
    I have developed the program under Windows and can only test it there.
    Therefore I can't say anything about this and have to rely on external help.

@Jay_Perez
    Thanks for your help

Thanks all for the advice, I am playing around some more and I'm making some progress

@joerlane

I do have limits set up for homing as in my pic, I do like homing and am used to it for my mill, I have had to stop programs before and with homing it is allot easier to reposition in the middle of a cycle when need be

I am using the GRBL Firmware, v1.1h with the mods to the config_h as noted in my post

@Jay_Perez

confirm yes on V5.0.0 for GRBLGRU, yes I figured out the 2 viewer, so I think I understand that part now and I am making sense of the CAM process etc.. I tried your recommendation the in simulation mode, so I open the .dxf, put in the variables etc. I 'Set Workpiece Zero Point' here is a screen shot which makes sense

Name:	20230121_164510.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	488541

then I set up the actual position on the Unimat I want as the start point, I switch to "GRBL V1x" and get this, which is not where it is physically notice my actual shown work positions..

Name:	20230121_164539.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	488543

If I then hit 'Set Workpiece Zero Point' in connected mode, I get this, and I can't see the toolpaths? and of course in real life this would be a huge problem!

Name:	20230121_164601.jpg 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	488545

I know I am close, it's just not clear to me yet, is there something I am missing?

@GRBLGRU

Thank you for your reply and thank you for your research and development of this program, it is definitely interesting and very useful.. keep going!!

I will take advice for now and not focus too much on the limits, until I figure out what I need to do and until I understand the programming better

I will send you my email to customize my Unimat, I am not too bad with Fusion360, so I will make a 3D model to match my lathe

I am a little disappointed about the threading, But I do have a Arduino 2560 so I can and probably will switch over to the GrblHAL system, as you note below for practicality

Lastly, I am not sure how to fix the attachments, seem to show up for me fine in preview, I apologize I am not sure?

Best to all, thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by gauthib12 View Post
    I switch to "GRBL V1x" and get this, which is not where it is physically notice my actual shown work positions..

Name:	20230121_164539.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	488543

If I then hit 'Set Workpiece Zero Point' in connected mode, I get this, and I can't see the toolpaths? and of course in real life this would be a huge problem!

Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	488545
    I'm also not getting notifications of new posts on this forum. Will have to look into my preferences.

Sorry but I get an error message when I try to view your attachments.

Jay

Hello,

I am trying to see if the picture format is the problem, else any suggestions? Let me know if this one works?

Thanks

Views:	1 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	488655

I still can't open your attachments.
    Things are going wrong here at the moment.
    If you are not logged in, you can not see the last post. You also don't get any notifications on new post anymore.
    I have already informed the administrator about this, but I haven't received any feedback yet.

Hello, Can anyone tell me if GBRLGRU now supports inch mode?
    I searched but all i could find it had been dropped some years back but they were hoping to bring it back.
    But I can't find it.. looks like a nice program but I would like to be able to use inch mode.
    Thanks

I am trying to repost my post pictures, below I'm confused a bit but I noted two icons in the upper left hand side (cnczone) and (industry arena) my pic show in the latter but not here, it seems the two forums are linked but not for attachments?

I am using the GRBL Firmware, v1.1h with the mods to the config_h :
    Attachment 488762
    Attachment 488764
    Attachment 488766
    Attachment 488768

@Jay_Perez

confirm yes on V5.0.0 for GRBLGRU, yes I figured out the 2 viewer, so I think I understand that part now and I am making sense of the CAM process etc.. I tried your recommendation the in simulation mode, so I open the .dxf, put in the variables etc. I 'Set Workpiece Zero Point' here is a screen shot which makes sense
    Attachment 488770

then I set up the actual position on the Unimat I want as the start point, I switch to "GRBL V1x" and get this, which is not where it is physically notice my actual shown work positions..
    Attachment 488774

Attachment 488776

Best,
    B

@new2cnc
    Sorry to disappoint you. I had the 'inch mode' in older versions, but it was program-technically very complex for me. Therefore I have switched it off for now.
    As long as I am still developing new functions, it will have to stay that way. After that it will be possible.

@gauthib12
    I will write you an email

Exclamation Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

There is a problem with the new version beta.

GRBL 1.1 Lathe mode.

The 5.0 command line

---> 120
    Waiting for Grbl identification ...
    Grbl ready @ COM5
    0 G10 L2 P1 x0 y0 z0

grbl 1.1h ['$' for help]
    ok

grbl 1.1h ['$' for help]
    ok

[ver:1.1h.20190825:]
    [opt:v,15,128]
    ok

ok
    Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS|WCO:0.00 0,0.000,0.000
    Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS|Ov:100,1 00,100
    Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS
    Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS|WCO:0.00 0,0.000,0.000
    Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS|Ov:100,1 00,100

The 5.0.14 command line

---> 120
    Waiting for Grbl identification ...
    Grbl ready @ COM5, buffer size=120
    0 G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 Z0

grbl 1.1h ['$' for help]

ok
    ok
    ok
    catch sio fault: Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS|WCO:0.00 0,0.000,0.000 System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at GrblGru.SioThreadGrbl_1x.DoWork()
    catch sio fault: Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS|Ov:100,1 00,100 System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    catch sio fault: Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    catch sio fault: Idle|WPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:RHS System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

@Diskus

Thanks for your quick feedback.
    I have just uploaded V5.0.15.

Great information. You can visit https://www.iplantables.com/ to know more about Touch screen technologies.

Page 30 of 38 202829303132