584,849 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 13 of 38 3111213141523

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

@Lester444
    This is a very interesting machine !
    To get the model running in GrblGru, I would have to find a solution for the two 'tools' ( probes ).
    At the moment there is only one tool and the whole calculation refers to it.
    What exactly do you want to do with the machine ? Do you want to measure PCBs ? Which coordinates should the probes move to?
    Is there a DXF file ?

@Armando
    Hey Armando, this is not a bug, it's a feature.

The rotary axis can now be positioned arbitrarily in the XY plane by the user.
    Try to change the values in the MachineManager once and then press the 'Accept data' button. (see pic)

But of course you are right. I will check the values for the next release version again.
    Thank's for your feedback.

Release notes V3.44.0

The possibility to control a rotation axis with the Mega-5X software caused me to rework the necessary functions for the projection of DXF or SVG drawings.
    For example, it is now possible to position and orient the rotation axis in the XY plane without having to change the 3D model.
    In addition to normal cylinders, any shaped rotation-symmetrical workpieces can now be engraved.

I am of the opinion that a rotary axis is a real enrichment for a 3-axis control, which extends the production spectrum enormously.
    For this reason I can only recommend this extension. Especially if you have the possibility to build your own axis.

The video shows the necessary process from the scanning of the workpiece, over the creation of the job, up to the milling.
    But there are also examples how to mount a rotary axis on machines like LowRider or the MpCNC.

The new version now also contains screen texts in Italian.

Have fun with GrblGru

Hi GrblGRU:

I have been playing with the software, and I like it very much. Thanks for creating it, and for making it available.

I'm using it as a CAM program for my lathe.

I am having one problem that I can't seem to solve.

When I import a dxf profile, and tell GrblGRU that the stock diameter is 22mm, the Z axis moves forward in X to 11mm forward of the actual spindle axis of the part/machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrblGRU.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	431010

Then when I post G-code, it starts at X-0 at the outside diameter of the 22mm stock, and cuts into the stock using negative X values.

This means I need to zero the X axis at the OD of the stock, but I think it is more usual to have X-0 be at the actual rotation axis of the spindle. But I'm darned if I can figure out how to make that happen...

Am I missing something? Is there a way to have the stock diameter specified, and NOT have the X-0 point move to the OD of the stock?
    Andy

No, you did everything right. In the current version, X=0 is always set to the outer diameter. You can't change that.
    To be honest, I haven't thought about it yet, that it would work also the other way.
    The reason for this is that I mostly work with wood. I clamp the workpiece and turn it a few tenths cylindrically.
    Then I am sure that the runout is ok. Then I measure the part with the caliper and enter the radius in the input 'Stock Radius' and start the program.

I don't see any disadvantage in this procedure at the moment. But I am also open for other ideas.
    If you can tell me the advantages of your method, I will think about it again and change it if necessary.

Hallo GrblGru,

Ran into a weird bug, both with the v3.42 and v3.44, on two diffent pc's (windows 7 and 10).
    Basically I can't get the NC creator button to work.
    On older video's on your channel it gives you a popup windows where you can adjust the parameters for roughing and finishing.
    However, when I click the button nothing happens.

It's still possible to create code, but I have to go into the 2D workspace, right-click Drawings>zeichnung>Toolpath1 and then select Create Job>[...]
    Then a job get's added to the job list, which I can then open and adjust the parameters.

The 4th axis functionality looks awesome! I wanted a way to control the 3 axis of the lathe (carriage and tailstock), and a way to turn the chuck.
    Seems like you could mindread and made it possible :P

Sorry, I changed that a while ago.
    The operation of the lathe is now the same as that of the milling machine. This makes it easier for me to maintain the program.
    This also makes it a little more convenient for the user.
    Once you have created a job on the 2D side, this job will be created automatically whenever you load a DXF file by drag&drop together with the SHIFT key.

Hi, I am new at this forum. I am constructing quite a big CNC machine and wish to control it with GRBLGRU. My machine is a hybrid construction - 3D printer combined with 5 axis milling machine. The idea is to print a model using paste based on polyester resin and after that machining excess of material in 5 axes. We are during tests of drives currently. Due to a limited budget, I had to choice Arduino with ramps for the control system. GRBLGRU is the next obvious choice.
    I have made the model of my machine in Creo but now I need to ask you for the preparation of Machine Type for your software. My machine is XYZ standard gantry type with B axis installed on Z and rotary table of C axis installed on the base. You can find more information about our project on my website Homepage
    The working area is 1000x1000x500mm.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very interesting project ! I sent you an email.

Hi GrblGru,

Following this tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EjMg3LdMc

In version 3.44.4 this bug appeared.
    See attached image.

Armando

Hi Armando,

at the moment I am working to generate GCode for 3D objects. To do so, I need a new input to set the working plane lower. See pic below.
    It seems, that in version V3.44.4 the input in the job parameter is missing. In the new version V3.44.5 it should work again.

thanks for your help.

Dear GrblGuru,
    I recently ordered part for CNC painting machine on Conical faces... This will be like an eggbot but the machine will pick brushes of different color paint the curves on conical surfaces. Is it possible to control the Pen with GrblGuru program?
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

@Khalid

This depends on the type and condition of the conical faces. If the faces are not so steep, it may be possible to work with 3 simple translatory axes. If the brushes have to be placed in normal direction on the faces, I recommend a robot arm like 'RobotArm5Axes' from the new beta version 3.44.5. (see pic) With this one you could also pick up different brushes from a magazine.
    If you don't know the geometry of the conical surfaces, you would have to scan them first with the g38.2 function.
    I think all this should be possible with GrblGru.

In any case a very interesting project ! Maybe you have more detailed information ? Then I could give you a more detailed solution.

Thank you for the reply... I intend to make painting the shade of lamps.. the top smaller dia is 35mm and the bigger diameter is 138mm with a height of the cone is 80mm... I think this can be doable on rotary axis of CNC machine... I just need to know did you see the eggbot extension programming in Inkscape...They fill the color and pen can be replaced.. i only want the same but on the conical surface... how can i do it ..any help ?...
    I will also look onto the robot do u have more detail of it..

Thanks for the info.
    You are right. You can also use an A-axis. If you can tilt it, the brush will also be perpendicular to the surface.

To paint the graphic on the conical surface you can simply use the GrblGru projection function.
    For this you need an STL object on which you can project a graphic.
    I the new Beta V3.44.6 I made a new function in the StlCreator to create cones.

Just for completeness. You won't need it anymore:
    The 'RobotArm5Axes' is only a virtual machine for testing purposes. But there are many real examples:
    - https://github.com/Chris-Annin/AR2
    - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3327968

Wow..Thats a cool idea...

I just want to inform you that an english manual for GrblGru is now available on my website.
    Since I developed my program at the same time as I wrote the documentation, it is unfortunately already not 100% up to date.
    Creating documentation is unfortunately not one of my strengths. Nevertheless, I hope that it can clarify one or the other open question.

Have fun with GrblGru

Hello all,

Work on the lathe is going smoothly, and it's almost fully operational now!

I'm currently in the process of adding the model of our own machine to GrblGru. However, it doesn't go quite the way I want it. Although I've succesfully created and added the model (with help from the video tutorial), the machine isn't correctly recognized/configurable. The problem seems to be, that although it's technically a lathe, it has 4 axis.
    The normal Z and X-axis are used for the tool, while the Y-axis moves the tailstock and the A-axis moves the chuck. See attached screenshot for an idea.

Any tips on how I could get it working correctly? I'm pretty stumped, been trying to figure this out for a few days with no luck
    Best option so far seems to configure it as a 5axis cnc mill, but then the model isn't correctly displaying what happens in real life...

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot:

Thanks so much for the manual, it have help me a lot to get started .

One thing that was need to be able to run the communication with the arduino Mega 2560 board to avoid "Alarm2" and error 15 that disable the communication was to set
    the $20=0 (soft limit enable flag) instead of 1 that was the default value when GRBL-Mega-5x was loaded into the 2560 board

I have great fun to crate the simulation and also get the grbl-Mega-5x to work with the Ramps 1.4 card (so far without the 5 stepmotors but the codes runs)

When I try to save a project (Your Elch example project ) I get an error so it was not possible to save (see my two files), what is wrong .

@Bartavus

ah, now I get you.
    The problem is that there is currently no suitable model for your machine in the program. For the lathe mode there is only the machine type "Lathe".
    And it uses only 3 axes. For your machine we need a new type (3 linear axes and one rotary axis)
    I'll try to set up a new type of machine. Just give me a bit of time for this, please.

Dear GrblGuru
    I apologise that my earlier message about not be able to save the project files was related to the beta version 3.44.6 only , for the release version 3.44 it was ok .

Page 13 of 38 3111213141523