584,800 active members*
4,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 9 of 38 789101119

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Link is for audio of GrblGru (sounds like a musical instrument) vs GrblPanel (smoother).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ck?usp=sharing

Hi

I'm using V3.30.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3ZKvBRc8Q
    With reference to this video, I tried importing SVG file. But I couldn't. I succeeded in importing DXF file.
    Please let me know if there is anything to check.

Hi

I've already solved it. About importing SVG file,
    Importing with drag & drop : OK
    File - Import SVG : FAIL

@swisscheese
    I'm on my way right now. I'll check it next week. Can you please send my the gcode.

@kumao
    Thanks for your feedback. That sounds like a bug. I'll fix it in the next version.

@GrblGru - just a 3" circle.

@swisscheese

I just downloaded the current Grbl Panel version 1.0.9.6 and tried to understand your observations.
    But I can't see any difference in the noise of the motors. Also when comparing the signals with an oscilloscope I don't see any differences. Only when comparing the jogg mode I see differences. In this case the GrblGru signals seems to be much more constant than with Grbl Panel. But maybe this is also due to the fact that I did not operate Grbl Panel correctly.
    For the data transfer to Grbl I used the "Character Counting Streaming Protocol". This should be the most efficient protocol for Grbl.

Maybe you will do a real milling test to see if there are differences between Grbl Panel and GrblGru in practice.

Release notes V3.31

since some time I have the wish to be able to cut threads on my CNC lathe.
    Since the costs for a regulated drive of the main motor and the necessary control would exceed my hobby budget, I tried to mount a stepper motor parallel to the main motor. In normal turning mode the stepper motor is dismounted, in extended mode the main motor is switched off and the stepper motor makes the work. The whole thing is controlled by a cheap Arduino Uno and GRBL.

Since it is first of all only a test, I have carried out the assembly of the motor according to the "Quick & Dirty" method. The result was nevertheless quite encouraging. Since the stepper motor does not have the power of the main motor, I made some adjustments to the program. Further functions are to follow.

In addition to threading the possibilities of the controlled rotary axis are enormous.
    Particularly in connection with a small grinding device the following things are quite conceivable: Worm grinding, sharpening drills, grinding turning steels ... etc.
    Maybe someone would like to upgrade his lathe as well. I would be happy to receive tips and suggestions for further applications.

The video shows the current status as usual.

Have fun with GrblGru

a guy named HuubBuis (I think on this forum but definitely on github)
    has written an app ( called CNCL) in C# using visual studio 2017.
    He claims that he uses a Stepper on his spindle to do threading. you might want to check out this thread:
    https://github.com/grbl/grbl/issues/602

I'm not real keen on subscribing to his app ( I NEVER "subscribe" on software --- ever!! Its against my religion).

If you can solve the problem of threading and backlash compensation you will surpass his app in terms of popularity eventually, I am fairly certain.

There's also a possibility of closed loop feedback spindle motor control not --- sure how inexpensively this sort of thing can be implemented.

Now that I think about it you might also try and figure out how Danmeyer's "Electronic Leadscrew" also known as ELS handles this threading business.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at it.

I will definitely continue to work on the control of the rotary axis. It offers so many possibilities, especially in combination with a small grinding unit.

Release note GrblGru V3.32

Unfortunately I haven't been able to document the improvements and innovations made to the GrblGru program lately.
    In order to reduce this backlog a little, I would like to introduce the new functions chamfering and thread whirling to you today.

While thread whirling of internal threads is well known, the possibility of producing external threads is rather unknown.
    In this little video I would like to show you how to make a screw (made of styrofoam) and a nut.

Up to now I have always been of the opinion that thread whirling could only be used for special cases due to the relatively high costs of the tool.
    But after I made good experiences with the production of thread whirlers from old taps from the scrap crate,
    I will be considering this procedure more frequently in the future.

Free download, as usual from my dropbox bit.ly/2xF1KJ8_GrblGru_Release

Have fun with GrblGru

Awesome work u r doing man.. I like the way you made ur own tool...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

@Khalid
    Thanks a lot

Release notes V3.33

"Between the years" is known to be the time when you always want to do all the things you don't get to do in the rest of the year. For me, documentation is at the top of the list.
    Therefore I would like to present you today the new tool management in my program GrblGru. In the focus is the possibility to integrate pictures of your milling cutters into the program.
    Unfortunately, I always very quickly forget which cutter is good for what, and a picture and some notes helps me a lot.

As usual you will find a short video in the attachment showing the current status.
    I would be pleased about suggestions, improvements, tips etc. But of course criticism is also welcome.

Have fun with GrblGru

I posted this on the Dropbox share but thought this was a better place to communicate. I was trying out your program V3.33 for a lathe and I noticed a few differences in the software and any of the tutorials. I have been unable to successfully generate a tool path or Gcode. I am following along in the videos and I think it is going well. I have selected a machine, a tool and have a DXF imported. Then the video suggests clicking on the NC button to generate Gcode and a dialog box is supposed to open. On my install, this does not happen. Nothing happens. I have watched several videos looking for a step that I may have missed and I cannot seem to find anything. Maybe somewhere there are feeds and speeds that need to be set but I cannot find them. They may be in the generated jobs, but that is where I run into the other problem. In the videos, there is a job template with roughing and finishing passes, but I do not have this. All the job templates I see are all for milling operations. I noticed that there are no job templates for lathe. Is this normal?

How about a template for cutoff and facing operations. My lathe no longer has hand cranks so it would be useful to just give it a material size and cutoff and face.

Thanks for your feedback. I've also read your comment at my dropbox. And you are right. Sorry, there's a mistake crept in when I made some change for the milling mode.
    I have made a new beta version V3.33.1 that you can download from bit.ly/2xCD7Nd_GrblGru_Beta.
    Please answer the question ( see pic ) during the setup with "Yes". This causes the corrected templates to be reloaded.

It should now be possible to create new jobs and copy jobs using the right mouse button context menu.
    The same applies to the tool. I recommend the type "parameter tool". You can use the 'Copy' command to create several tools with different parameters.
    Then save your tools and templates with the 'Save' command at best outside the folder C:\ProgramData\GrblGru

The normal procedure is as follows:

1. Load 2D data. DXF / SVG Import or create Chamfer, Radius or Threading using one of the DXF templates.
    2. Create a job that GrblGru knows how to machine the part, what feeds you need und which tool shoul be use.
    3. Choose your starting diameter and accept this position
    4. Start the program

Please let me know if something is not clear or doesn't work.

By the way. Cutoff and facing is already on my ToDo list.

I love that someone is working on this! Does your program have any chance of seeing a g20/g21 functionality in the near future? I'm a teacher and I am wanting to use your program here at school for the little lathe I'm building. I was also wondering about some other functionalities, like tool change macros and if you have built in cycles like the drilling/tapping/boring cycles and the g150 pocket milling or a g70/g71 (rough and finish turning) command. Better yet, do you have a list of commands somewhere that your program can utilize?

It would be a great pleasure for me if you could use GrblGru to pass on your knowledge to your students.
    So I will give you any assistance I can give.

But my program is not a real controller. It only triggers a controller like GRBL or TinyG.
    A list of the available G codes for GRBL can be found at https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Grbl-v1.1-Commands
    In addition, I have also implemented some processes such as creating chamfers, radii or threads .

It would be interesting for me to know how many adjustable axes your lathe will have. Should the main motor also be controlled?
    Very important would be the question which controller you want to use.

Here is a link to the 'Indian Institute of Information Technology', which did a similar project and integrated GrblGru into it.
    http://www.tlc.iiitdm.ac.in/Lathe.pdf
    Of course this project is very simple, but maybe one or the other is interesting for you.

Hi friend. My machine is x = 1300mm y = 2500 mm z = 250mm. How can I add this machine in the program.

There is a short instruction how to import your own machine into GrblGru.
    Dropbox - Import_3DModel_gb.pdf
    Let me know if you get problems with it. I will be glad to help you.

Page 9 of 38 789101119