585,917 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 24 of 38 14222324252634

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Hello, i really like your gcode sender. But i have switched from g2core to grblhal do you plan on supporting grblhals advanced features? I know it will still do the grbl1.1f basic control. but there are some advanced features IOsender and Bcnc have implemented for grblhal. I really appreciate your hard work and free software and would love to continue to use it and support it. thanks

Forgive me if this is posted and I have missed it, but as technology advances, perhaps the recommendations from a year or two ago are no longer relevant anyway, so here goes:

What is the current recommendation for the Arduino/driver board chain of equipment to connect my laptop running Grblgru to my 3 axis mill machine? In other words, what all do I need to go from Laptop to 3 axis mill... drivers, arduina, etc. I'd like the least expensive way to do it if possible I will replace the old KCAM4 I have been using and want to upgrade the driver boards and such that will eventually run my machine.

I'd like to make the purchases soon, so any place you can direct me to what to order (if it is posted and I missed it) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all.

Mark

@Cncninja42

I am of course very interested in GrblGru being able to communicate with grbhal as well. However, I am unfortunately not up to date with grbhal.
    Can you maybe send me a link where I can get information about the advanced features ?

@MarkEMark

If you already have a machine with motors and drivers you don't need much. For a 3-axis control an Arduino UNO board for about 10 $ is sufficient as controller.
    The software for the controller GRBL is free and you can get it here:
    https://github.com/gnea/grbl/releases
    GrblGru is also free and you can download it here:
    https://www.grblgru.com/

I wish you good success

Thank you for the reply. I ordered the Arduino.

I have begun to work with your wonderful program and my screen does not have all of the icons at the top like the videos, and I can see no place to add them in the set up of the program. I do not have the resizing icons that are in the moose tutorial so I do not know how to resize the moose! All I have are two small subsets of the icons at the top of the screen- one docked on the right side and one docked on the left. Neither is the full set I see in videos or tutorials. Is there a setting somewhere I need to set to make them appear? Or, an installation of add-Ins I am missing?

Thank you very much for the help!

I am missing the resizing icons shown below. I am using GrblGru version 4.2.0 Thank you for the help! I am LOVING how much this program can do and I am looking forward to learning and contributing as much as I am able to contribute as I learn.

Also, is there a way to change units from mm to inches? A setting somewhere I am missing?

Here is a screenshot of what I see:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-13 104619.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	472464

And I am missing these circled below that I see in the first tutorial in the manual:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2021-11-13 105311.png  

The program is always evolving and unfortunately the documentation is no longer up to date.
    Sorry, but at the moment I just do not get to improve this state.

To scale a path select it and press the right mouse button. A context menu opens, select "Geometry Editor". In the dialog that appears you can scale, move, flip etc. the path.
    Another possibility, which is more suitable for the positioning of paths, you get via the menu item "Graphic Editor".

I recently made a German video on the general operation. Maybe that will help you a little bit.

There is no option to switch mm / inches

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 1.jpg   Image 2.jpg  

Ah yes! The right mouse button. I do not know why I didn't think of that. I am usually pretty good figuring out software and for some reason it didn't enter my mind to try that. Thank you.

And I appreciate the hard work you do making the software! I do not know how you would be able to keep up with all of the documentation! The manual you have written is a very good approach to learning, and I appreciate the hard work you and others have done.

Thanks again!

Mark

Lately I just haven't had the time to document the program changes I've made.
    Especially the Youtube videos often consume a lot of time. Even if you don't always see it that way
    The problem is that it is very difficult to divide this work over several days, and thus always a large amount of time is needed at a stretch.

Therefore I would like to try in the future once whether it is better to make shorter videos, which deal then however only with one function, method etc..
    Today I want to start with the duplicate function. A function that allows you to duplicate a calculated project. The video is only about 4 minutes long.

Have fun with GrblGru

Is there a homing routine for the Z depth axis? I would like to use an automatic Z homing plate to measure to the top of a work piece. Please forgive me if I have missed this somewhere in the documentation or the thread here.

Thanks again!

I am currently creating a new dialog with some measurement methods.
    Please give me some more time. I will report back here.

Hi GrblGru,

I’ve just found your amazing program and think it will be perfect for my application. You have done some fantastic work to produce and support it.

I’m developing a 5 axis robot arm and your YouTube examples of setting up such a machine have given me lots of hope that I can test and simulate the arm quickly, without having to get involved in ROS programming from the start.

Regarding using the macro features, is there a way to trigger these from a hw input?, or to monitor hw inputs within the macro and to then trigger different functions depending on the input states? I’d basically like to test a scenario where the robot arm could use another arduino or plc to sort objects into different trays based on their colour. The resulting outcome would be to enable the arm to pick up an object from a given location and then place it into a set number of other locations using different coordinates in g code.

Thank you and Happy new year!

Great grblgru?there is no open source like grbl? In order for everyone to share the language translation, how to upload the translation file?

@drumsticksplint
    that sounds like an interesting project.
    At the moment I can't read any inputs on the controller via the USB interface. But I just sent a request to Gauthier Brière, the developer of Mega-5X, to see if this is possible in the future. Another possibility would be to use a second USB interface and another Mega or Uno with a small program to send the input status. However, I would like to wait for Gauthier's answer first.

@kmimax
    yes, GrblGru is not open source code. But if you have a new translation of a language, I will of course be happy and include it in the next version.
    You can simply attach the language file to your post here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    @drumsticksplint
    that sounds like an interesting project.
    At the moment I can't read any inputs on the controller via the USB interface. But I just sent a request to Gauthier Brière, the developer of Mega-5X, to see if this is possible in the future. Another possibility would be to use a second USB interface and another Mega or Uno with a small program to send the input status. However, I would like to wait for Gauthier's answer first.

@kmimax
    yes, GrblGru is not open source code. But if you have a new translation of a language, I will of course be happy and include it in the next version.
    You can simply attach the language file to your post here in the forum.
    Thanks for the prompt reply GrblGru! Much appreciated for you to consider how this might be implemented.

Hi @Grblgru, I am really impressed with your software and accomplishments so far in its development.

I am seeking some guidance as I try to add 4 Axis+ SCARA robot to the machine setup... I am having some success, but only limited to Z A and B axis, I am unbale to add further axis. Also, there is a problem with the kinematics in my settings when i try to toolpath the Elch, it is skewed. It would be great to get some help in setting up this machine.
    I have STL's to help explain...
    Thanks

@drumsticksplint
    Good news. Gauthier Brière thinks the changes are possible. He plans them for the end of this quarter.

@PaulKT
    I'm happy to help you, of course.
    It may be necessary to set up a new machine type. If you provide me with the STLs here, I will try to make a model out of them.

@GrblGru, oh wow, that’s fantastic! Thank you for following this up and bringing good news! Very exciting, hopefully I can get the basic arm up and running in the meantime ????

Hi @GrblGru, my response with Zip attachment is not appearing here. I could email it… [email protected]

What happened to the controller icons at the bottom of the screen?

I just got all of my controllers and machine connected and have been setting the parameters, and in the process seem to have lost the controller arrows on the screen. Any idea what I might have done wrong? Here is a picture of what I now see. Thanks for the help!

There is nothing wrong with that. You can open / close the group boxes with a double click of the left mouse button.
    So just double-click on the text "Actual WorkPosition" and the window will open again.
    Sorry, this is of course not a standard Windows function and therefore not generally known. But it is very useful, especially if you only have a small screen.
    Then you can simply hide boxes that you don't need.

Page 24 of 38 14222324252634