584,808 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 4020 motor overload

Fadal 4020 motor overload

Hi, We bought a Fadal 4020 -1997 yesterday. The machine looks to be in decent shape but with some issues. The previous owner told us he had some problems with the tool changer and when trying to fix it they somehow ended up running the Y-axis to absolute limit ( sounds stupid ). Anyhow the Y-axis was way off and we got several alarms when powering up and was not able to JOG the Y-axis. I shut it down and rotated the ballscrew by hand so the axis got closer to the CS position, but still no movement. If i go to JOG and turn the wheel on Y-axis i see a position movement on the screen but no movement in reality, after a while the machine throws me alarm 26 motor overload. X and Z works without problems.

Have any of you had this type of problems before? Would really appreciate some help.

Tomorrow we will swap drivers with X-axis and try again.

Thanks.
    OviksNC/Sweden.

Re: Fadal 4020 motor overload

Sounds like a dead amp. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Sounds like a dead amp. Good luck.
    Hi. Switched the amps between X and Y but still the same problem. Maybe the motor is bad? We have measured the motor but i shows nothing wrong there.

Thanks
    OviksNC/Sweden.

Ok found the problem with the Y-axis. The previous owner had accidently pulled a cable to the controller card for the Y-axis, causing the alarm. So that was easy! With the Y-axis working we found the original problem, and probably the reason for all the cable pulling of the previous owner

The ATC 22 tool umbrella has it´s own life. First when we typed TC,1 the ATC went to spindle side and spindle released tool clamp and went up. Pushed CCW on the umbrella and it began spinning like crazy and quickly after throw ATC Turret alarm and we had to Cold start the machine again. We found that the hall sensor that reads the umbrella rotation ( small shaft with a magnet ) was broken. Ordered a new one and installed it today! now the umbrella spins about 9-10 slots in normal speed after one push on the CW/CCW button and then gives the alarm ATC Turret failure. Do anyone know how to reset the ATC, how do we know when its in T1, T2 etc? Is there any instructions for doing this?

Thanks in advance.
    OviksNC/Sweden.

Any pocket can be T1 so which ever tool you want to be 1 in the enter next command type SETTO enter

I think you have to adjust the hall effect sensor from the ENTER NEXT COMMAND type DI enter and then DS to display your switches (see picture) The one that says ATCTURRET when you hit the Turret button you will briefly see 01 (reads the Magnet) if you dont see the 01 then you need to get the sensor closer to the magnet. after your done type X to exit the switches screen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scale err  1.jpg  

For all the Fadal Manuals FREE go to Fadal Manuals | ItsCnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    For all the Fadal Manuals FREE go to Fadal Manuals | ItsCnc.com
    Thank you! We have only mesured the sensor with instrument when turning the motor by hand so that the magnet is passing the sensor.

Could it be an old program in the background causing problems? I have a message ( tool no.5 in spindle ) it says and have not come to the part that i learned all commands on the controller yet. I tried a simple M6 T0 but nothing.

Thanks
    OviksNC/Sweden.

at ENTER NEXT COMMAND prompt type SETTO enter it will make the tool in spindle and the current pocket Tool 1.

to see many of the Commands in the control type MU enter

DI enter
    DS enter Displays the Switches. you must see the 01 at the ATCTURRET when the magnets passes otherwise it will not stop indexing

here is the manual for the FADAL ATC you have http://itscnc.com/images/Automatic_Tool_Changers.pdf