585,662 active members*
3,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Haimer 3D Taster TTS Conversion Help

Haimer 3D Taster TTS Conversion Help

I was able to pick up a new Haimer 3D Taster for cheap and jumped on the deal. It's the inch version with the 3/4 inch shank, model 80.360.00.IN. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advise with the Tormach TTS conversion rings, either the press fit (Tormach P/N 32432) or epoxy versions (Tormach P/N 30675). I'm wondering what is the best way to convert the Haimer 3/4" shank to TTS so that I can use it for the Z-axis as well. Any advise or insight is appreciated. I'm looking forward to faster setups with the Haimer, but need to get past this hurdle.

-Mike

You can get an er32 tts holder with a 3/4 inch collet.

Re: Haimer 3D Taster TTS Conversion Help

I would be concerned with possible damage to your probe using the press on TTS adapters. That said, I used one to convert an Iscar face mill. After heating with a hot air gun, the adapter ring just dropped on with almost no force required. I tried one of the glue on TTS adapter with very poor results -- the epoxy never completely set. Perhaps I didn't de-grease well enough or didn't mix the epoxy enough or the epoxy was old or...

Does the shank easily detach from your Haimer? My metric one doesn't appear to but I haven't ever completely removed the centering screws at the back.

Remember that the probes for the metric and imperial probes are different! Don't ask how I know.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I considered the ER32 TTS holder, but am treating it as a back-up since I prefer not to add so much height to the probe. The TTS rings were my first option. Not sure if the shank detaches. I'm a bit phobic of dis-assembling the Haimer due to some bad experiences in the past with re-assembling precision tools. I'll try the press-fit ring with heating of the ring and an ice bath of the shank. If it doesn't go on with little/no force, I'll defer to the ER32 TTS holder.

-Mike

Don't make the mistake of getting the ring partially on and having it cool and shrink tight!

Do you have it in-hand yet? Doing a Google image search for that model number there was a photo from slightly above the Taster. It looks like there's a SHCS in the middle of the shank. Perhaps unscrewing that would release the shank?

I got coolant in my Haimer and took it apart. It's basically a dial test indicator inside. My attempted repair didn't go well (I made it worse and ended up throwing it away) but I bet if you confine your disassembly to the shank area you don't have much to worry about. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    I was able to pick up a new Haimer 3D Taster for cheap and jumped on the deal. It's the inch version with the 3/4 inch shank, model 80.360.00.IN. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advise with the Tormach TTS conversion rings, either the press fit (Tormach P/N 32432) or epoxy versions (Tormach P/N 30675). I'm wondering what is the best way to convert the Haimer 3/4" shank to TTS so that I can use it for the Z-axis as well. Any advise or insight is appreciated. I'm looking forward to faster setups with the Haimer, but need to get past this hurdle.

-Mike
    Got the same model. I picked up some of the compression fit rings (MSC didn't have them when I looked, but Amazon has them, discussed here some threads back). Chucked up a ring, did the undercut, and then installed flush with the base. No pressure, no heating, no glue, removable. and it works fine on the TTS collet. Link to rings:

https://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-...l+shaft+collar

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Got the same model. I picked up some of the compression fit rings (MSC didn't have them when I looked, but Amazon has them, discussed here some threads back). Chucked up a ring, did the undercut, and then installed flush with the base. No pressure, no heating, no glue, removable. and it works fine on the TTS collet. Link to rings:

Thanks so much. This is what I was looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    Thanks so much. This is what I was looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Credit another member of the forum who originally posted this (MFChief?). I just happened to see your request and passed along a good idea. There are a lot of them in this forum.

I epoxied the TTS ring on my Haimer Taster about 5 years ago and it's held together fine ever since. I put a witness mark on my spindle and and always locate the Haimer face the same way with respect to that when I calibrate the Haimer or use it for setting work offsets in the hope of gaining a bit of repeatability.

Just an FYI for future searches, the shank does easily come off. Remove the SHCS bolt in the shank and loosen the 4-2mm set screws

On my metric Haimer the 4 setscrews are M4 rather than M2. To eliminate the possibility of stripping the sockets on the setscrews I replaced them with SHCS.

Thanks for this photo. I am installing a Haimer into a proprietary tool holder and needed to shorten that shank. It looks easy enough after seeing your pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    Just an FYI for future searches, the shank does easily come off. Remove the SHCS bolt in the shank and loosen the 4-2mm set screws

A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post

Yup. Get a bagful of rings from Amazon, do the undercuts, and you're set. My 3D Taster is set up like that.

Yeah that looks like a good plan. Wish I had seen it before

Just a note and Tormach has a good video on this also. Check run out and set dial to zero every six months or so. I did my unit today and was surprised it had way more then normal run out. Hadn't checked it in a year or more.