585,761 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > O-Scope Tuning Noise

O-Scope Tuning Noise

Hello...have some older G320's I am trying to tune for better performance but whenever I connect an oscilloscope to them and they are moving the machine in a program...the motor begins to sound much louder. So much so I have to check it is not running away on me.
    There are two small loops for check points and just touching one of them with a probe will do it. The machine keeps moving as it should per the G-Code but the noise has me worried something is wrong.

My tinnitus is too bad to tune them by ear and I continue getting faults when my Z-Drive reverses direction in code. I have it almost as slow as it can go (low acceleration) and my Z-Axis is counter-weighted so very little effort to spin in either direction manually. It is not a heavy load causing the fault.

Any thoughts? Is the added noise normal? Should I be concerned?

Re: O-Scope Tuning Noise

RakmUp,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. We just moved locations and have been running production nonstop to make up for being down for nearly a month.

This sounds like it could be a problem with the probe on the scope. Do you have a different probe you could try? Does this happen on all of the drives or just one of them?
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

RakmUp,

Not that I would be able to help much, but out of curiosity... where do you place the grounds for the probes. Are you going off a general ground, or a unique one specifically for the sign and co-sign?

SocalPE,

The G320 has a dedicated probe GND, so hopefully he is connecting it to there. The diagram in the link below shows where the probe attachment points are on the drive.

G320 Test Points - Servo Drives - Application Notes - Support | Step Motor Controls
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Yes...exactly as shown on the diagram. It happens when just one probe is touching too. I have yet to get a good signal.
    It could be the scope...or the probe. I bought a cheap one....NanoDS or something from Adafruit. :-/