585,930 active members*
5,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Thru-spindle air blow design flaw?

Thru-spindle air blow design flaw?

M339 turns thru-spindle air blow on and I have not found any other code than M9 to turn it off. However, there is this massive design flaw that when M9 is executed, it flushes coolant through the spindle right on the hot inserts! Is there any undocumented M-code to turn the air blow off without switching to the coolant pump and if not, what would be the best way to fix this thing?

Re: Thru-spindle air blow design flaw?

hy, you mean that M9 : "turns off air_through_spindle" + " turns on coolant_through_spindle " ?
    ....so M09 = M51 ?
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy, you mean that M9 : "turns off air_through_spindle" + " turns on coolant_through_spindle " ?
    ....so M09 = M51 ?
    err No.. Dead Cat, M51 is used to turn ON through spindle coolant.
    M9 is used to turn OFF any coolant flow or air.
    I would suggest that there is something not correct on your machine to cause this action.
    This does not happen on our machines at all, in fact, I use M339 to flush coolant out of the tool/spindle when finished with through spindle coolant. (a customised M9 subroutine is used)
    I would ask your service agent to take a look at what is happening with your process.

err No.. Dead Cat, M51 is used to turn ON through spindle coolant. M9 is used to turn OFF any coolant flow or air.
    is that really true ?

I would suggest that there is something not correct on your machine to cause this action
    maybe that's way this thread is here ...

I would ask your service agent to take a look at what is happening with your process.
    why not ... go ask

Quote Originally Posted by myhäje View Post
    However, there is this massive design flaw that when M9 is executed, it flushes coolant through the spindle right on the hot inserts!
    to continue machining until this problem is solved, disconnect coolant, so to work only with air

No, M9 does not turn the coolant pump on, but whatever's left in the "pipes" comes out thru the spindle on M9. And in this case, it's coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by myhäje View Post
    M339 turns thru-spindle air blow on and I have not found any other code than M9 to turn it off. However, there is this massive design flaw that when M9 is executed, it flushes coolant through the spindle right on the hot inserts! Is there any undocumented M-code to turn the air blow off without switching to the coolant pump and if not, what would be the best way to fix this thing?
    Just a query....
    Do you turn ALL coolant OFF, before running the M339 ?

If you use M51 for thru coolant ON, & then use M339....you may still have the coolant pump running ( lines pressurised ) while you use the air blow.
    - then when you execute M9, it would turn all OFF, ( spindle union would switch to the coolant line as a default ) allowing coolant to then enter the lines as a de-pressurising action.

hmm ... when this happens, do you use before " M51 through spindle coolant " or it also happens after normal " M08 " ?

you should check somehow the pipes ...

what delay is there ? for example "coolant and after air", or "coolant , power off , go home, next day air on " ?