584,846 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Feed (G01) with spindle off?

Feed (G01) with spindle off?

I have an Okuma Verticle mill w/ a 3000M control.

I am not able to feed the spindle (G94 + G01) in IPM with the spindle off.

I've tried M05, M03/04+S0.
    It's all good until it sees the G01. I dimly recall a way to do this on a different control (I believe it was something like G00 F20 or something like that,) but nothing I've tried so far works.

Is there some quick and dirty way to do this, or do I need to change a parameter... If so, does anyone know which one?

Thanks

have you tried not using the G94? or even trying the G94 without the G01 i dont Know okuma, just giving suggestions
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Thanks for the reply, but...

Without the G94, it defaults to G95 (IPR)
    Without the G01, it defaults to G00 (Rapid)

It sounds like the OEM built saftey in, IOW if you command a move with the spindle not running it will freeze, to avoid going into a cut without spindle, or if the spindle stops for any reason the feed stops.
    In IPR it will automatically not move becuse you have no revs.
    It works in G0, becuse the assumption is you will not program to engage the cutter in this mode.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

On the Okuma OSP-P100M controller, M130 allows XY axis movement without spindle rotation (allows broaching, etc..), M131 cancels it. Should be the same for your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    On the Okuma OSP-P100M controller, M130 allows XY axis movement without spindle rotation (allows broaching, etc..), M131 cancels it. Should be the same for your machine.
    This is not directly related to the topic so I request indulgence.

You say M130 allows broaching, etc.. This suggests the spindle is being subjected to a vertical load while stationary.

A while back there was a thread in which I suggested that a spindle could be used for broaching in this manner and the result was a horrified response about bearing damage, etc, etc.

Does Okuma actually say that broaching is permissible with a stationary spindle?

When you use single point broach tools, like PH Horns, you only take .002 - .003 per pass. Depending on the material you are cutting, hardly any force at all. Keep in mind, there is more bearing contact with forces in the Z axis as opposed to the X&Y axis, and more preload also. Okuma spindles especially are extremely rigid. Nowhere in any of our Okuma documentation do they advise against broaching.

If you have a spindle faster than 15K I wouldn't broach. As the RPMs go up the spindles tend to be more fragile and the reason for getting those fast spindles is for HSM anyways, not second op work.

We have done a decent amount of broaching with our Okuma, no problems. That was using the same M130, on a OSP5000M, so the code should be fine.

Thanks. I have not done any broaching yet but it was my feeling that the forces would be low compared to what the spindle bearings could handle even when stationary. I have Haas not Okuma so I have not seen the M130 code.

Regarding running a feed motion with a stationary spindle I find that if you have spindle orientation it is possible; orient the spindle and then feed.

Sorry... nogo on the M130.

Re: Feed (G01) with spindle off?

The newer Haas lathes allow G00 with "E" where "E" is a percentage of the rapid motion feed rate. For example G00 E10. Z0.; will move to Z=0.0 at 10% of your rapid rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    This is not directly related to the topic so I request indulgence.

You say M130 allows broaching, etc.. This suggests the spindle is being subjected to a vertical load while stationary.

A while back there was a thread in which I suggested that a spindle could be used for broaching in this manner and the result was a horrified response about bearing damage, etc, etc.

Does Okuma actually say that broaching is permissible with a stationary spindle?
    Of course it's related, slotting or broaching with G01 F*** and spindle stationary or locked with M19, is exactly the scenario above whether that be a lathe or mill.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyman View Post
    I have an Okuma Verticle mill w/ a 3000M control.

I am not able to feed the spindle (G94 + G01) in IPM with the spindle off.

I've tried M05, M03/04+S0.
    It's all good until it sees the G01. I dimly recall a way to do this on a different control (I believe it was something like G00 F20 or something like that,) but nothing I've tried so far works.

Is there some quick and dirty way to do this, or do I need to change a parameter... If so, does anyone know which one?

Thanks
    The OSP3000 control is very old and rudimentary, I doubt M130 and other G or M codes were standard. Okuma may have written special options but the hardware would need to have supported them.

WTF ... Thread is 16 years old
    Revived by a HAAS newbie in the wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    WTF ... Thread is 16 years old
    Revived by a HAAS newbie in the wrong forum
    Ye god's ????

H?
    EXAMPLE PROGRAM
    G95
    G1 X0 F500
    G1 Z50
    G1 X50
    G94
    G0 X350 Z350
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by ospcontrol View Post
    H?
    EXAMPLE PROGRAM
    G95
    G1 X0 F500
    G1 Z50
    G1 X50
    G94
    G0 X350 Z350
    M30
    The OP has grown too old, and retired, machine is probably now something else.

LOOK AT THE DATES...